A Good "Will play all" kind of media player for my 4K TV +5.1 HT

Would strongly recommend an Intel NUC running Kodi .
I use a NUCPPYH (around 12K) for my setup with a 4K Samsung JS9000 and a Denon AVR connected via HDMI (or you could also use TOSLINK)

It will run anything that you throw at it beautifully well (except 4K 10 bit HEVC but that is a rare filetype)
If you want 10 bit HEVC at 4K as well, an i3 NUC will do that too (20K odd)

My himedia q5 pro got stuck at customs.. this is the latest update.

Does anyone know how this will proceed ?

emc865G.jpg

Thats without HDD and RAM, so thats an inaccurate listing of price, but yes, I agree, if anyone has a budge of around 14-15K, then NUC is pretty decent choice. I have Intel NUC KIT DN2820FYKH Mini PC With Wifi Bluetooth Hdmi USB 3 0 Ports | eBay as my bedroom HTPC.

You are right, although most ppl have one or the other spare 2.5" HDD lying around

I would strongly recommend against any Android based media player (except perhaps the nvidia shield TV) for any mid to high end TV (i.e. any TV that supports 120 hz or native 24p)
The reason for that is that Kodi on linux or windows can do a 1:1 frame playback on such TVs thereby eliminating the annoying judder that is often seen on entry level TVs
Android based players will default to the system refresh rate (30p/50p/60p) thereby causing the TV to use pulldowns that leads to the non smooth (i.e. judder) playback that is typical of most LCDs
What point spending on an expensive high refresh rate TV if your source doesn't let you use it optimally (like playing 64kbps MP3s on a mid-high end audio setup)

^^ its really really subjective ...that "judder" thing most of us don't even notice.

Anyway that's an Android issue as far as I know, if 24p playback is too much of a concern, I would not suggest any Android-based media device to run Kodi. Use Rpi 3 or NUC for that. Or dont use kodi on these high end media boxes. If you use Plex and Q10/Q5's own inbuilt android player you will get proper 24p playback with no stutter......

^^ its really really subjective ...that "judder" thing most of us don't even notice.

Anyway that's an Android issue as far as I know, if 24p playback is too much of a concern, I would not suggest any Android-based media device to run Kodi. Use Rpi 3 or NUC for that. Or dont use kodi on these high end media boxes. If you use Plex and Q10/Q5's own inbuilt android player you will get proper 24p playback with no stutter......

It's absolutely not subjective (unlike the judder spoken about in audio circles.)
The underlying assumption obviously being that the screen should support the native frame rate of the video (typically 24p)

If the screen itself is doing simulated 24p through software correction, it really doesn't matter either way
But if it does, there is a massive massive difference between the two

(blind tested with casual and non discerning users on a Samsung JS9000 - a) playback on a NUC running Kodi set to match sync rate and b) On an Amlogic S905 Android player) - Every single person strongly preferred (A) - The stated reason was that (A) was fluid & natural whereas (B) would get jerky every few seconds

My older TV was a Sony from around 2010 - On that, it doesn't matter either way because it can't do 23.976/24 hz anyway

PS: I am a ridiculously practical guy , I don't buy any of the differences quoted by the audio folks about the quality of interconnects or cables or the ilk
However, specifically on this topic, the stutter induced by pulldowns is a logical thing and is very very noticeable in a A-B comparison
Of course, our brains are adaptable and won't notice it right away in a standalone setup.
However, you would still notice the difference (maybe perceiving the overall playback as smoother/natural) if you see a properly configured native frame rate playback elsewhere

Last edited:
It's absolutely not subjective (unlike the judder spoken about in audio circles.)
The underlying assumption obviously being that the screen should support the native frame rate of the video (typically 24p)

If the screen itself is doing simulated 24p through software correction, it really doesn't matter either way
But if it does, there is a massive massive difference between the two

PS: I am a ridiculously practical guy , I don't buy any of the differences quoted by the audio folks about the quality of interconnects or cables or the ilk
However, specifically on this topic, the stutter induced by pulldowns is a logical thing and is very very noticeable in a A-B comparison
Of course, our brains are adaptable and won't notice it right away in a standalone setup.
However, you would still notice the difference (maybe perceiving the overall playback as smoother/natural) if you see a properly configured native frame rate playback elsewhere

The point is, it hardly get noticed by 90% of the folks. The massive difference is more technical on paper, but practically as I said you have to look to know what video judder is and yes you might notice it. For people like you and me, who might be too fanatic on A/V, the difference might be too compelling to be ignored, not for a casual regular user.

The point is, it hardly get noticed by 90% of the folks. The massive difference is more technical on paper, but practically as I said you have to look to know what video judder is and yes you might notice it. For people like you and me, who might be too fanatic on A/V, the difference might be too compelling to be ignored, not for a casual regular user.

But that's the point sam9s, I am not at all fanatical about A/V - hell, when I had to change speaker placement on my Phase Velocity V12s, I spliced the wire and joined them with a tape cover.
My surround speakers (Bose 301) are wired with an ethernet cable !! :lol:

Video judder is very different, it is very noticeable by even a completely casual user - and even if they may not notice it as judder, the constant jerkiness every few seconds is what often causes headaches/eye strain after watching just one movie on the HT setup

Ordered Himedia Q 5 Pro on the 22nd and got delivery on the 27th. This was from Futeko. Total cost INR 12,200/- which includes cost of player GBP 124.99 and GBP 7.99 towards international postage. Declared value GBP 30 as gift. Hence, no customs duty, octroi etc etc.. I live in south Mumbai.

Dispatch was through Royal mail and reached Mumbai Air customs on the third day and thereafter delivery post office on the 5th day. I personally collected from the PO.

Q5 Pro is identical to Q10 Pro (which I also have) except for the HDD slot, internal storage 8 GB as against 16 GB and front touch panel.

Out of the box, it is updated to the latest Kodi software - Jarvis 16.1. I found the build quality of this to be better than Q10 Pro and the external appearance is brushed Silver which is very attractive. Kodi runs smoothly so also all other apps like Youtube, Play store, Netflix, Hotstar & Miracast / Happycast (Airplay).

My ATV 4the Gen (32 GB) has become almost redundant now. Am really grateful to the forum for suggesting Futeko as their service is beyond compare and you can track your consignment from day one on their website as it is linked to Royal mail and also our desi India Post (Foreign PO Mumbai) website gives you real time updates.

Thanks again!

But that's the point sam9s, I am not at all fanatical about A/V - hell, when I had to change speaker placement on my Phase Velocity V12s, I spliced the wire and joined them with a tape cover.
My surround speakers (Bose 301) are wired with an ethernet cable !! [emoji38]

Video judder is very different, it is very noticeable by even a completely casual user - and even if they may not notice it as judder, the constant jerkiness every few seconds is what often causes headaches/eye strain after watching just one movie on the HT setup
If you are noticing video judder, you already are in minority.......?. As far i go, I notice it when i choose to.... Else I can ignore it. . For you it gives headaches. Others might not even notice it. Hence the subjectivity. ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Ordered Himedia Q 5 Pro on the 22nd and got delivery on the 27th. This was from Futeko. Total cost INR 12,200/- which includes cost of player GBP 124.99 and GBP 7.99 towards international postage. Declared value GBP 30 as gift. Hence, no customs duty, octroi etc etc.. I live in south Mumbai.

Dispatch was through Royal mail and reached Mumbai Air customs on the third day and thereafter delivery post office on the 5th day. I personally collected from the PO.

Q5 Pro is identical to Q10 Pro (which I also have) except for the HDD slot, internal storage 8 GB as against 16 GB and front touch panel.

Out of the box, it is updated to the latest Kodi software - Jarvis 16.1. I found the build quality of this to be better than Q10 Pro and the external appearance is brushed Silver which is very attractive. Kodi runs smoothly so also all other apps like Youtube, Play store, Netflix, Hotstar & Miracast / Happycast (Airplay).

My ATV 4the Gen (32 GB) has become almost redundant now. Am really grateful to the forum for suggesting Futeko as their service is beyond compare and you can track your consignment from day one on their website as it is linked to Royal mail and also our desi India Post (Foreign PO Mumbai) website gives you real time updates.

Thanks again!

I got mine too , little late though.

I updated to 1.0.7 recently and fiddling with the settings.

What is your TV , is it 4k ?do pm me your ph.no so that we can discuss about himedia

If you are noticing video judder, you already are in minority.......?. As far i go, I notice it when i choose to.... Else I can ignore it. . For you it gives headaches. Others might not even notice it. Hence the subjectivity. ?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah, but the moot point is you can eliminate that judder without spending extra vs the other options .
If I had to spend say 30K or even 10k extra to eliminate that judder, I may not have done it
However given the fact that option A (kodi on RPi) costs less than option B (Android media player) which in turn costs a little less than option C (NUC with Kodi - although it gives much better responsiveness and subjectively better PQ)
So why would I choose (B)?

^^ Your priority might be different, since it gives you headache, so you might choose option C. For others this will be least of their concern and would concentrate on other features like audio passthrough and opt option B, and yet for few different others, DTS/DD would be enough and would choose option A..

Point it ..... it all comes down to ones priority... :)

here is a quote from HiMedia Q5/Q10 Pro (2016) with Kodi (4K / HDR / 3D / HD Audio)

These are the short coming of other media player

Intel NUC PQ = A++ Just start with this thread to find out why there's excitement about it!
+ Don't know why it is, Intel PQ = jaw-droppingly wow! Others agree (@movie78, @wesk05, @Skank, et al)
+ Integrated Kodi solution, with excellent support by @afedchin
+ Automatic flipeyes for right-eye-first 3D titles (like 'Drive Angry' 3D, all 'Hobbit' 3D's)
+ As it's Windows 8/10, you get premium apps like Netflix & Amazon VOD in full HD
> Not quite that set-top box feel compared to OpenELEC or that media player feel like with HiMedia; but, Launcher4Kodi app helps
- DD+ doesn't bitstream for now, an overall Kodi 17 issue
- Not yet ideal for 4K, especially via HDMI, with 10-bit and HDR; need to wait for Intel Kaby Lake, beyond
- May not be cost-effective for Europe as @looun reminded me, where HTPC solutions are pricier than U.S. and Asia
RPi3 PQ = A
+ Integrated Kodi solution, with excellent support by @popcornmix, @Milhouse and others
+ Excellent, natural PQ
> No HD audio bitstreaming, but for 80% of users, probably not a shortcoming as multichannel LPCM works well. However, matrixed metadata and ATMOS/DTS:X are lost!
- No apps like Netflix, Amazon, but 720p experiences of those possible via PlayOn external server app solution (far from ideal)
HiMedia Q10 Pro PQ = A-
+ Once remaining key issues noted are fixed so they don't hinder PQ, content enjoyment, PQ grade will be solid A
+ Excellent handling of all types of 4K (8-bit, 10-bit, AVC, HEVC, HDR)
- External player solution, with Kodi simply a front-end
- Few bugs/issues remain (as noted above)
- No HD versions of Netflix, Amazon or other premium apps

Intel NUC , Rpi3 are much better choice , there is no doubt , but why i went for Android based player is it has less of short comings , atleast thats what i had in mind when i chose it.

Planning to do a review on himedia Q5 Pro soon , provided i get time.

Oh and i got my player , custom charges werte 350Rs.

Point it ..... it all comes down to ones priority... :)

Amen to that!
BTW out of curiosity, where do you get encodes with DTS HD? Majority of encodes I get to see tend to be DTS or AC3..
The only DTS HD sources I have are BR disks which I would anyway not play on a HTPC/android box/Rpi or some HD channels on STB

By where do I get..... I presume you mean where do I download BRRips with HD Audio..:), the ans is simple ....I dont .....:D. All of my BR Rips that have HD Audio are of my own,(ripped via my disk) or may be one or two that I specifically downloaded for testing my HTPC, I think transformers 1 that I have is MKV with HD Audio. Rest all mostly DTS or DD (AC3) ... :)
My HomeTheater does not have a gear elite enough to produce a different in dound huge enough that I am urged to download rips with HD Audio, which are minimum 10GB size ... :). I am as of now pretty satisfied how my HT performs with DTS 5.1 audio .. :). But my HTPC sure does have the capability, so tomorrow if for some magical reasons FUP is removed, with same 50mbps connection, by all means I will start downloading HD AUdio rips as well. (Provided ofcourse you do find then on the internet.. :))

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back