A Sanely Priced Power Conditioner That Actually Works Objectively and Subjectively - OnFilter Powe Distribution Unit

saur1985

Hello all,

As the title may suggests this is my review of OnFilter’s PDU (Power Distribution Unit) which is power conditioner (EMI + RFI Filtering) plus power strip. I very well know this might be a controversial topic, but I will still go ahead. As a disclaimer, I am not affiliated with OnFilter nor have I received discount on my PDU (yes, I have paid the full price) or I haven’t received any review unit. As the brand is not known in the Audiophile world, I am going to deviate from my usual style of writing the review.

So, I will begin with little about company & the brain behind the product. OnFilter is a US based company specializing in EMI & EMC related products which are geared for research institutes, Semiconductor Manufacturing, Telecom, Datacenters, Medical industry etc. As per it’s founder, owner Vladimir Kraz the use of its products in Audio is just a co-incidence & he never really designed any product with audio in mind. For use in Audio, he has two products AC Emi filter (with two outlets/sockets of your choice) & PDU which is essentially the same product as AC EMI filter with 8 outlets/sockets.

Vladimir has a solid credentials when it comes to EMI & EMC industry with over 40 years of experience in EMI, ESD & EMC industry & has been part of committee deciding EMC standards for Semiconductor manufacturing (along with being Director of Instrumentation at 3M). He has at least two dozen patents (either solo or co-authored) in the same field. In short, he is extremely knowledgeable and knows exactly what he is doing.

When I was searching for a power conditioner, I was looking for couple of things like the product, designer & reputation. While all Audiophile companies manufacturing the power conditioners have good reputation, but it’s limited audiophile world only. You won’t find any audiophile brand being used in a very strict & demanding application. Here only OnFilter had that reputation (but not known in the Audiophile world).

Secondly the designer’s background. Though this was the least important criteria but still it tells one about what to expect from the products. Obviously here Vladimir was ahead of the competition because of his such an extensive background in the relevant field. Besides he has patents which are not laughable like some of the other company’s designers have. Pure science & engineering.

Lastly & the most important; product & it’s performance. While all the products from audiophile companies are extremely well built (maybe even better build than OnFilter), but when it comes to its performance, they keep it either completely subjective or specify very little. Now, having studied science, electronics & electricity all throughout my academics, even in my masters; I know very well that power is the only part of the system which can be gauged completely objectively. So, finding all the audiophile companies either skip on the actual performance data was a shock to me when the cost of the piece can go as high as $26K.

I even contacted couple of manufacturers (Shunyata & IsoTek) to know about their performance specs, but to my surprise the reply that I got from them was they do not measure the performance of their product & they don’t believe in it. Instead, they prefer in hearing the improvement & go by telling the customer that their product is good because it was used in some albums re-mastering. Having heard these replies left me absolutely speechless & for a moment if all my learning was wrong. Afterall these most of these products (power conditioners) do nothing but EMI filtering. So, for a conditioner the most relevant performance spec is attenuation of noise over range of frequencies in lab environment (using 50 ohms resistance symmetric case of 50:50) & in real-life load resistances (1:100 or 100:1 case) specified as a chart for Common Mode & Differential mode. That’s it, no other performance spec is necessary for EMI reduction. Other things about product like its output resistance change as per the load, power factor correction (if applicable) etc. make the product description complete. So that when one sees them, they know exactly what to expect from that product 9at-least that’s how it works in engineering world).

I have gone through specification & user manuals/product sheets of all major brands & have compiled a table below. Here in the performance attenuation, Mode & specified load is important. The classic case being regular consumer filers from Schaffner. Looking at the table, Schaffner would look like the best bang for buck filter. But the numbers are deceptively specified for lab conditions & they have removed the real-life load performance data from their datasheet which shows amplification of the noise in the 100KHz region where some of the EMI source operate (like SMPS of LED lighting).

Sr. No.ManufacturerModelEMI/Noise ReductionFrequency Range SpecifiedMode SpecifiedLoad SpecifiedCost
1ShunyataEverestMore than 50dB, 68db @ 1 Mhz100 KHz to 30 MhzNoNoUSD 9,900
2ShunyataGeminiMore than 40dB, 28dB @ 1 Mhz100 KHz to 30 MhzNoNoUSD 1,998
3ShunyataVenom PS10More than 24dB, 28dB @ 1 Mhz100 KHz to 30 MhzNoNoUSD 900
4AudioquestNiagra 5000More than 30db for CM & more than 28 dB for DM3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DM & 60 Hz to 100Mhz for CMYes, CM & DM10 to 50 ohmsUSD 5,900
5AudioquestNiagra 7000More than 30db for CM & more than 28 dB for DM3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DM & 60 Hz to 100Mhz for CMYes, CM & DM10 to 50 ohmsUSD 11,000
6AudioquestPowerQuest 303More than 22 dB for DM3 Khz to 1 Ghz for DMYes, DM10 to 50 ohmsUSD 460
7Synergistic ResearchGalileo PowerCell SXNot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 27,995
8Synergistic ResearchPowerCell SXNot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 9,000
9Synergistic ResearchPowerCell ONENot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 1,095
10PS AudioPower Plant 20More than 80 dB100 KHz to 2 MHzNoNoUSD 8,000
11PS AudioPower Plant 15More than 80 dB100 KHz to 2 MHzNoNoUSD 6,399
12PS AudioStellar Power Plant 3Not SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 2,399
13IsoTekEVO3 Super Titan85dBNoNoNoUSD 12,495
14IsoTekV5 Titan85dBNoNo50 ohmsUSD 4,995
15IsoTekV5 Elektra55dBNoNoNoUSD 1,695
16Puritan AudioPSM 156Not SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 2,400
17Puritan AudioPSM 136Not SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 2,100
18OnFilterAF SeriesGraph Provided for CM & DM. Max 98dB in DM, Max 62db in CM10 KHz to 50 MHzYes, CM & DM1:100USD 650
19SchaffnerFN 2090 20AGraph Provided for CM & DM. Max 100dB in DM, Max 82db in CM10 KHz to 100 MHzYes, CM & DM50:50USD 70
20FurmanPrestige Series P-2400 AR Power Conditioner10dB @ 10KHz, 40dB @ 100KHz, 50dB @ 500KHz10 KHz to 500 KHzNoNoUSD 1,350
21FurmanPrestige Series P-2400 IT Power Conditioner10dB @ 10KHz, 40dB @ 100KHz, 50dB @ 500KHz in DM, 80dB @ 20KHz, 40dB @ 20KHz to 1 MHz in CM10 KHz to 1 MHzYes, CM & DMNoUSD 2,100
22Transparent AudioOPUS PowerIsolatorNot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 17,000
23Transparent AudioREFERENCE PowerIsolatorNot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 7,600
24Transparent AudioPowerBank 6 Power ConditionerNot SpecifiedNoNoNoUSD 995

If one has patience to read about this issue with performance variation as per the load, then go through this magazine’s (EMC/EMI product’s magazine) page no. 34 where another person is explaining the same issue.
https://interferencetechnology.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/2017-IT_EMC_Filters_Guide_Low-Res.pdf
Besides all of this, even if the product is very well speced, there is no guarantee that it will improve sound for following reasons.

1. EMI/Filteration Performance :- This is obvious factor which doesn't need any explanation.
2. EMI/RFI on power line :- Now we don't really measure how much polluted our lines are before we even use an power conditioning. So if a line is very clean then even if best power conditioner is used it will not really have any impact on SQ.
3. Power Design of the component :- Some companies recommend plugging directly into the wall outlet. In those case & other cases here power stage is very well designed and takes care of dirty power is naturally going to sound same as with any power conditioner.
4. Personal bias and hearing ability :- Everyone has different hearing ability and not everyone can distinguish the changes which are subtle. Besides bias is very true and it can change one's perception to a large amount the way he perceives changes in SQ.
So if you consider all this you will understand why it's not a great idea to find correlation between SQ and EMI reduction.

Now enough of the background and theory & coming to the review of the product in hand. Build quality of the PDU is also first rate. Very sturdy & industrial design. Bonus part is it has a display which shows incoming voltage value, total Current Drawn, Power consumption & total power/energy consumed since last reset. This feature is not found in any of the audiophile power conditioners (not sure of PS Audio). It tells you how much energy your entire audio setup (which is connected to PDU) is consuming. Very nice feature to know the power bills.
Now coming to the crux, how does it sound. It took me just 5 mins of playback to realize that this is an amazing product. It has significantly improved the SQ of my system. All the regular superlatives apply in my case to the improvement like bass has become tighter, details have increased, micro-transients have improved, sense of black background is even more, music sounds more organic, notes decay for longer etc. etc. The list goes on and on. I am enjoying music even more now.
So does all this mean this is the perfect power conditioner? The answer is no. Here are some of the limitations of this PDU. First and the biggest one. This PDU has IEC C14 Female sockets for its output (the one commonly found in computers or data centers), so that means you cannot directly plug your fat audiophile power cord into this. You will need IEC C14 Male to US/Shuko plug adapter to use your power cords. But as Vladimir never had Audiophile market in his mind while designing his products this is understandable. Second is, while it’s excellent at blocking the EMI/RFI coming from all the places (conducted EMI), if you connect any noisy equipment to the same PDU that has your audio equipment attached to, then the EMI from noisy equipment will be transmitted to other equipment. While none of the audio components are that noisy, it’s not a deal breaker.
Besides that, I have given Vladimir feedback regarding these two points, and he has said that he will definitely look into it, especially the part related to the sockets, so that’s promising.

In the end I will just say that this is a fantastic piece of equipment that all audiophiles should have instead of no specs, all marketing audiophile products. Kudos to Vladimir for making such fantastic piece of equipment at sane price.

WhatsApp Image 2024-07-06 at 23.59.24.jpeg

Regards,
Audio_phool

Thanks for such a detailed, well researched piece... I myself am using a Schaffner power cord as below:

While I can not determine if it has made a difference to the sound, it is cheaper than any audiophile power cable with a scientific EMI/RFI filter used on far more sensitive equipment than audio....

Let us know where this is available in India or did you import this ?
This is not available in India & I imported it from US. You can directly email Vladimir. His email ID is [email protected].
Thanks for such a detailed, well researched piece... I myself am using a Schaffner power cord as below:
While I can not determine if it has made a difference to the sound, it is cheaper than any audiophile power cable with a scientific EMI/RFI filter used on far more sensitive equipment than audio....
I also used to think that Schaffner is very good at reducing EMI, but soon i found out that they are slyly hiding the real world performance numbers which are actually bad for most of their filters barring few of their top of the line filters. What they are now publishing is lab condition figures which are looking better i.e. at 50:50 ohm load values.

Even for your power cord they have just published that value. But looking at the chart I can almost certainly say that it's not doing anything in actual usage case or even worse might be amplifying the EMI at around 100 KHz region which is the case for many of their filters. You can read this on the Page no. 34 of this EMI/EMC magzine
Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 1.25.45 PM.png

@panditji Sorry to burst the bubble around Schaffner, but they are hiding the actual performance stats. Fortunately I found their old sheets on Conrad.com where they are available for sale. Below are the two performance charts for Schaffner's filters. You can clearly see that graphs C & D are clearly going below 0 dB in the region near 100 - 500 KHz, which means in this range instead of attenuating the EMI/Noise, filter is amplifying it. Even your power cord has similar 50:50 performance as that for FN 2020, so i can assume their 100:0.1 performance is going to be similar.

First is their FN 2020 series of filter which sells for around GBP 40 on Conrad.com
Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 3.08.22 PM.pngHere is the link to original data sheet https://asset.conrad.com/media10/ad...ac-16-a-065-mh-w-x-h-71-mm-x-293-mm-1-pcs.pdf

Second is their FN 2090 series filter which sells for around GBP 120 on Conrad
Screenshot 2024-07-07 at 3.02.30 PM.png

Here is the link to their datasheet https://asset.conrad.com/media10/ad...27-mh-l-x-w-x-h-1135-x-575-x-454-mm-1-pcs.pdf

Regards,
Saurabh

Last edited by a moderator:
@panditji Sorry to burst the bubble around Schaffner, but they are hiding the actual performance stats. Fortunately I found their old sheets on Conrad.com where they are available for sale. Below are the two performance charts for Schaffner's filters. You can clearly see that graphs C & D are clearly going below 0 dB in the region near 100 - 500 KHz, which means in this range instead of attenuating the EMI/Noise, filter is amplifying it. Even your power cord has similar 50:50 performance as that for FN 2020, so i can assume their 100:0.1 performance is going to be similar.

First is their FN 2020 series of filter which sells for around GBP 40 on Conrad.com

View attachment 85407Here is the link to original data sheet https://asset.conrad.com/media10/ad...ac-16-a-065-mh-w-x-h-71-mm-x-293-mm-1-pcs.pdf

Second is their FN 2090 series filter which sells for around GBP 120 on Conrad

View attachment 85408

Here is the link to their datashet https://asset.conrad.com/media10/ad...27-mh-l-x-w-x-h-1135-x-575-x-454-mm-1-pcs.pdf

Regards,
Saurabh
And all this while, I was feeling extra smart .. thanks for bursting my bubble...

And all this while, I was feeling extra smart .. thanks for bursting my bubble...
You are not alone in this...even I used to think Schaffner is very good & hence I was using it's FN 2090 series filter. But after I did some deep dive in this regard I found out the ugly truth of these filters and in general the audiophile power conditioners which charge astronomical amount for unknown and dubious performance.

In the end I asked myself this very simple question. If the actual performance of the audiophile power conditioner was so good then what is stopping them from marketing/harping the performance numbers & publishing them to attract even more customers? Instead why are they hiding the actual performance numbers and just providing all the subjective flowery language & dismissing any objective measurement?

Regards,
Saurabh

I even contacted couple of manufacturers (Shunyata & IsoTek) to know about their performance specs, but to my surprise the reply that I got from them was they do not measure the performance of their product & they don’t believe in it. Instead, they prefer in hearing the improvement & go by telling the customer that their product is good because it was used in some albums re-mastering. Having heard these replies left me absolutely speechless & for a moment if all my learning was wrong. Afterall these most of these products (power conditioners) do nothing but EMI filtering. So, for a conditioner the most relevant performance spec is attenuation of noise over range of frequencies in lab environment (using 50 ohms resistance symmetric case of 50:50) & in real-life load resistances (1:100 or 100:1 case) specified as a chart for Common Mode & Differential mode. That’s it, no other performance spec is necessary for EMI reduction. Other things about product like its output resistance change as per the load, power factor correction (if applicable) etc. make the product description complete. So that when one sees them, they know exactly what to expect from that product 9at-least that’s how it works in engineering world).
Thanks for throwing a light on this. I'm interested to understand this further. For the layman, could you please elaborate on this further? How does this positively affect the sound quality. I understand that EMI/RF can add degrade the power and so does fluctuations/unstable/faulty lines.

These manufacturers haven't revealed the specs you were looking for. Can we logically deduce that these were deliberately hidden or maybe misled? I'm not sure about this. I guess we can just say that there is no data and we can't conclude unless these are measured objectively. I definitely see that we have some measurements for Schaffner.

Well, I do agree that audiophile products are sold at a premium to gullible customers in search of that next upgrade. Often, with subjective reviews that could be just placebo. There has to be more objective data to back up their claims.

For me, it was quite revealing when I objectively measured using a EMI Meter. Also, power cords can be easily debunked using no-contact voltage tester. I just did this yesterday and revealed so much from a locally sold brand of power cords.

Thanks for throwing a light on this. I'm interested to understand this further. For the layman, could you please elaborate on this further? How does this positively affect the sound quality. I understand that EMI/RF can add degrade the power and so does fluctuations/unstable/faulty lines.

These manufacturers haven't revealed the specs you were looking for. Can we logically deduce that these were deliberately hidden or maybe misled? I'm not sure about this. I guess we can just say that there is no data and we can't conclude unless these are measured objectively. I definitely see that we have some measurements for Schaffner.

Well, I do agree that audiophile products are sold at a premium to gullible customers in search of that next upgrade. Often, with subjective reviews that could be just placebo. There has to be more objective data to back up their claims.

For me, it was quite revealing when I objectively measured using a EMI Meter. Also, power cords can be easily debunked using no-contact voltage tester. I just did this yesterday and revealed so much from a locally sold brand of power cords.
@kratu sure I can elaborate it further. The EMI attenuation of filters is reported as per the CISPR 17 standard which allows them to use 50 ohm resistance on load and supply side hence it's denoted as 50:50. This is a norm for lab measurements to use 50 ohm resistance on both the sides. But unfortunately real world application will never provide 50:50 ohm load and supply resistance, so these values which show very high performance are of little use in the real world case. Also providing only 50:50 values will hide the actual performance which is bad for the selection of right filter.

Also the noise is measured in two modes Differential mode (DM) which is between live & Neutral viz. technically defined as noise running between lines with opposite direction of current. Common Mode (CM) is defined as noise that runs in the same direction between lines viz. noise between Live, Neutral and Ground. Usually Common mode noise is harder to reduce than Differential mode.

Now EMI is usually very small compared to the AC mains signals, but it is parasitic in nature and hence can creep in on the DC part and other digital signal part causing the degradation. EMI will be more of a issue for Digital circuits/signal or for phono signals where signal voltage is lower, hence making the signal more susceptible to the degradation. Now how exactly it will degrade the signal is very difficult to tell and will vary from the case to case basis.

Yes, fluctuation/unstable or faulty lines can affect SQ & can harm the equipment also. But most of the power conditioners are just EMI/RFI filters which do not stabilize/rectify the voltage issues. Now coming back to how adding EMI filtering can affect the SQ is dependent on multiple factors as state in my original post, but I will restate it.

1. EMI/Filtration Performance :- This is obvious factor which doesn't need any explanation.
2. EMI/RFI on power line :- Now we don't really measure how much polluted our lines are before we even use an power conditioning. So if a line is very clean then even if best power conditioner is used it will not really have any impact on SQ.
3. Power Design of the component :- Some companies recommend plugging directly into the wall outlet. In those case & other cases here power stage is very well designed and takes care of dirty power is naturally going to sound same as with any power conditioner.
4. Personal bias and hearing ability :- Everyone has different hearing ability and not everyone can distinguish the changes which are subtle. Besides bias is very true and it can change one's perception to a large amount the way he perceives changes in SQ.

So after considering all this I will not directly correlate the SQ to EMI filtration.

Audiophile equipment manufacturers are known for hype, shilling and over the top marketing. So if any product was really working fantastically then why would they not utilize the opportunity to market the product based on data? The only situation where one would need to hide the actual data is when the performance is sub-par. With sub-par performance where data is available & cost being astronomical one can easily understand the issues with that product and hence sales would go down drastically. Now if one replaces the hard performance data with over the top flowery language and marketing then potential buyer has no way of knowing if the product is actually effective and hence can be swayed into placebo or subjective biases. Another interesting thing to note is EMI/RFI reduction is required in various industries and fields, but outside the audiophile industry these audiophile power conditioners don't get sold much, the reason being there the hard specifications and performance data is mandatory.

So at the end of the day it's not just the performance data that matters but it's the condition in which performance data is measured that also matters. But lack of data is just not acceptable when we are talking about power conditioning products.

Regards,
Saurabh

One update...Since I had given Vladimir feedback regarding changing IEC C14 outlets, he took the feedback positively & made the changes. Now the PDU is available with 6 US outlets as well.

For me the bigger surprise came when he said that he is sending me the newer version with US outlets for free to replace my existing PDU with IEC outlets. Now that's some really good service.

Here is the photo of the new version of PDU.

Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 10.31.27 AM.png

Regards,
Saurabh

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back