Advice to buy an Audio Setup for 40K??!!

bobbyfriend2008

Starting with a budget of 40-45K i want to buy an 2.0/2.1 setup .
Primarily for Audio (70%) and sometimes movies (less than 30%) .
I request the GuruS here to suggest something good in this steep budget.

Whether i should go for an AVR or a stereo AmP.

As if i would go with an AVR i can build the System step by Step , the same will not be possible with a stereo AMP.

Trust me i have read hundred of threads but can decide anything , so decided to drop my query here.

i love bass and love audio fidelity at the same time .
Confused .:sos::confused:

BablooJawalkar thanks for your reply.

I 'am still confused whether to go with AVR or stereo AMP

what exactly is a Multi channel AMP ?

Yes the source will be Laptop or Hard Drive for now.

And should i go with 2 bookshelfs/ equivalent satellites (3-Way) and an active SUB driven by an entry level AVR probably Pioneer ..
will that do a justice to music or invest in a stereo AMP .

would be waiting for more inputs and replies............

fellow memebers please help ...waitng for your reply

Hi,

If your main usage is going to be music then I would suggest you to go for and 2.0 stereo set up consisting of Amp + bookshelf speakers (depending on your room size).

In my opinion best course of action would be to go in for pre-owned amp as well as speakers from the forum (from for sale by owners thread) as you would get a decent deal for very good price. IMO there is no point in blowing your entire budget in buying a brand new gear where in you would not get a 'hi-end' gear but for the same money you would be able to get a very decent deal of pre-owned gear!!
just my two 'chhawannis':ohyeah:

Although all of us love the idea of owning big floorstanders or big subwoofers, all rooms do not necessarily need them

A budget is a good place to start
But before that should come the size of your room.
Based on your room size, and then your budget, possible combinations might be discussed

If you have a particular genre/s of music you listen to, that would also be a criteria for choice of speakers

But you have to understand that in hifi world in India, 40k would be enough only for very entry level setup. Hence please have a look at pre-owned gear. You might find excellent speakers worth a lot more because the first owner is upgrading. You'd get much better sound for your money that way

If you have to buy new gear, you can get some of the common bookshelves in the 20-25k range
Dali Zensor 1
Wharfedale Diamonds 10.1
Q Acoustics 2020i
Tannoy Mercury V1i
Boston Acoustics A26

For stereo amps, you can get
Cambridge Audio Azur 351A
Marantz PM5005
NAD 316 BEE

or Indian amps (cheaper)
Sonodyne Sia 310
Norge 2060

These bookshelves + amplifier will give you a very detailed sound, but will be lacking in bass.
You can either splurge extra on a subwoofer to add to this setup (but then these amps do not have subwoofer out, you would have to change amp as well)
Or you can opt for entry level floorstanders (~25k)
Sonodyne Sonus V2605
Pioneer FS 52 (Andrew Jones)

I got the good review of the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10
Stereo Amplifier which has a powered Sub-woofer Out .
Sold out on HI-fi mart and seems a nice option when it comes to drive L/R bookshelfs.

Probably a sub can be added in future am not sure how would it be able to drive the same in Lows

I got the good review of the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10
Stereo Amplifier which has a powered Sub-woofer Out .
Sold out on HI-fi mart and seems a nice option when it comes to drive L/R bookshelfs.

Probably a sub can be added in future am not sure how would it be able to drive the same in Lows

Hi,

You could also get in touch with some of the forum members (Aniket) who would be able to 'help';) you with DIY stuff both amp as well as b/s or f/s speakers. In your budget or if you stretch it 'slightly' :lol:you should get a decent deal which would be better than some of the expensive stuff!!:clapping:

Experienced forum members can also help you get in touch with other FMs who are into heavily into DIY stuff.

If I was in your place I would be on the look out for a pre-owned gear on the forum and grab it when the right stuff comes along- One does get good bargain n gear which is decently priced!!:licklips:

sktaliyan thanks for your reply .

I like your advice about DIY stuff and/or pre-owned stuff , while i cant find a good deal currently for pre-owned gear , can DIY stuff be made high end too and is worth investing/considering .

And does DIY works for AMPs only or for speakers also particularly B/S or F/S producing considerably tight mids and highs , of course i am not expecting hifi but decent sound worth the budget.

:confused::confused:

Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 is a stereo receiver, and its sound quality is not really comparable to CA Azur model of amplifiers. So while with SR10 you will get a new equipment you will sacrifice some sound quality.

It is up to you to decide what you would prefer, you mentioned that it will be used almost for 70% for music and in that case suggesting you something is simple, get an amplifier and bookshelf speakers. But, if you wish to have a surround setup in future then go with AVR and build step by step. In my opinion HTPC option is not that great, because you will be limiting yourself greatly.

The most prudent advice is like others have already mentioned is to go the pre-owned route. You will get NAD or Cambridge Audio amplifiers available in the for sale section (not so much a Marantz as I see people like keeping them :) ), or even an Yamaha. There are some great older equipment available as well.
Do not compromise on sound quality, because that is what in the end will get you ultimate pleasure. If you can get an used amplifier for 15K or thereabouts then that leaves you a good amount for some nice bookshelves. Get yourself the amplifier, take it and visit a few places to listen to different speakers matched with it. For 25K or so there are good options available.

Usher S520
Q Acoustics 2020i
Wharfedale Diamond 121
Dali Zensor 3

If you can stretch a bit then get Dali Zensor 3, will keep you happy for a quite a while, fantastic speakers these are.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back