AKIA SW-155

Trilbee

Hello I am new to this site but often come here to look for answers to some audio and/or tech queries. I see some posts for this particular model but cant find what I am looking for this time.

I have two AKIA/SW-155 with no manual.

There are two interfaces on the back and both look like they are for audio, one being a two pole phone jack the other being twin pole pinch but also might be for power.

I’m trying to understand if they are passive or if I need to power them.

Can anyone advise?

AKIA SW-155.jpg

Hello I am new to this site but often come here to look for answers to some audio and/or tech queries. I see some posts for this particular model but cant find what I am looking for this time.

I have two AKIA/SW-155 with no manual.

There are two interfaces on the back and both look like they are for audio, one being a two pole phone jack the other being twin pole pinch but also might be for power.

I’m trying to understand if they are passive or if I need to power them.

Can anyone advise?

View attachment 85094
Passive and use black and red terminals to connect to an amp and you can attenuate mid / HF presence.

Thanks for the feedback. The Black and Red terminals no longer work correctly so I installed new banana sockets and have them back in service. Any idea why there is also a phono socket?

These speakers are part of and AKAI system from the seventies. Been sitting unused and unloved for over 25 years.20240623_172853.jpg

It's not a phono socket.

Did you already have these or picked them up from somewhere?

Just read your reply on my post from a while ago.

I had these in the family for a long time and gave them away to a member here last year as they required too much time and money to get them back into tip top condition.

It's not a phono socket.

Did you already have these or picked them up from somewhere?

Just read your reply on my post from a while ago.

I had these in the family for a long time and gave them away to a member here last year as they required too much time and money to get them back into tip top condition.
It takes a phono plug. I did wire up two banana plugs to a phono and connected to an amp but, no audio. Any idea what this socket was used for?

These have sentimental value for my partner. They were part of an AKAI stereo cabinet system from the 70’s, that had a turntable, an AKAI 6300 amp and an AKAI reel to reel Surround Stereo. Four speakers in total, two SW-155 and two others with just a phono socket on the back.
20240114_100738.jpg

Well the speakers aren't power so sorry no idea. One way to figure it out is to open it again and see what's connected to that connector on the inside.

Well the speakers aren't power so sorry no idea. One way to figure it out is to open it again and see what's connected to that connector on the inside.
Looks like two Capacitors that feed two level controllers one each for mid range and high range with two audio Inductors.

The audio input terminals are also wired to the Phono socket which leads me to question if either input can be used or it requires both inputs.

These speakers are in the Philippines and I won’t be back there again for a month or so when I plan to test these components and replace them if necessary.

A circuit diagram would be handy but, been unable to find one so far and I am curious as to why there should be two ways to feed these.

AKAI Sub components.jpg

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back