Amazon.com Global Delivery Import Fee deposit

anm

Guys, I am trying to order a projector from Amazon total value of about 1300USD. The borderlinx calculator is showing 240 USD for shipping and import fees - which is roughly 13k. However, amazon is charging shipping @ 3200 INR, and an "Import Fee Deposit" of Rs 24k!!!

What could be the reason of that high import duty being charged by Amazon? Has anyone seen money being refunded by Amazon in case of security deposits?

What is the import tax one would expect on a home theater projector?

The duty should be approx 35% so that is around 24k as calculated by Amazon.

As per the Amazon shipping policy they take an advance deposit towards the customs duty & if not/partly paid balance is refunded.

A forum member 'Just4kix' has been importing blu rays (not sure of others) & has recd refunds when no customs duty was charged.

Last edited:
yes Iam also planning to buy a projector from amazon. the total cost of 1000usd. import deposit is 240usd. i am ready to pull the plug if they would be refunded

Kaptan how will they refund it if duty is paid? That is a chance you will have to take in this case!

Amazon.com, under the Global Shipping program, collects some money as "Import fees deposit". For BDs, this is roughly 26.5%, for other item categories the rate is different. The fees are collected up front and the freight carriers are told to collect the money from Amazon and not the end customer. If the duty amount is more than collected, Amazon bears the excess amount. If amount is less, the customer is refunded the excess amount collected up front.

I have been ordering BDs from Amazon.com for over a year. Each time the import fees deposit was collected. But the carrier (mostly Aramex) never was required to pay duties. And all the times the fees were refunded back to me (within 60 days) as a credit to my credit card. However, I did loose out on exchange rate (banks charge selling rate + 3.5% surcharge in debit while crediting they use the buying rate and no surcharge is paid back).

I have often wondered whether I should sometimes use services such as Borderlinx, Aramex SnS or iShopInternational or PPO, etc. Amazon's shipping charges are very high and so is the "import fees deposit". However, a few checks and balances have held me back:

- With others, I have to use the US drop-ship address and Amazon ends up charging about 7% sales tax on the order
- All others base their shipping charges either on weight or volume or both (charge whatever is more); while shipping BDs, the weight and volume is unknown.
- A hindsight calculation (after package was delivered to me), showed me that the shipping cost is not way cheap, although Amazon is still more by 10% or so.
- If duty is not charged, I get the refund from Amazon; not so with others
- Others will charge the import duty but will not provide the customs duty payment receipt (Yes. This is clearly mentioned on their respective web sites)
- So with other carriers, I may end up paying Custom Duty, even if nothing was charged and paid

In the end, with the US state sales tax payment and high chances of duty refund, Amazon.com and others, the total outflow, more or less works out to be the same.

But all this is true with respect to BD/DVD merchandise. For electronics, things WILL BE different. Duty will be charged and paid. Freight charges can be estimated up from because the specification of the item will most likely mention carton size, gross weight, net weight etc. So you must do what looks like the cheapest option.

Last edited:
Hi just4kix, does one need to follow up with Amazon to find out whether the duty refund is applicable? I recently bought a Shure Cartridge Case through the Amazon Global program. Aramex didn't provide me with any duty paid receipt so I don't know if any duty was charged for it or not.

Hi just4kix, does one need to follow up with Amazon to find out whether the duty refund is applicable? I recently bought a Shure Cartridge Case through the Amazon Global program. Aramex didn't provide me with any duty paid receipt so I don't know if any duty was charged for it or not.

First check with aramex, India about duty paid, quoting the shipment tracking number. If Aramex says no duty was paid then contract Amazon and ask whether they got any refund back from Aramex and if yes, request a duty refund.

First check with aramex, India about duty paid, quoting the shipment tracking number. If Aramex says no duty was paid then contract Amazon and ask whether they got any refund back from Aramex and if yes, request a duty refund.

Hi bro i have a question
I am going to buy a graphic card for my pc its around 150$ (amazon global shipping) so do they accept debit card if yes tht is 150$ the total amount to be paid no extra taxes would be charged from bank??

Hi bro i have a question
I am going to buy a graphic card for my pc its around 150$ (amazon global shipping) so do they accept debit card if yes tht is 150$ the total amount to be paid no extra taxes would be charged from bank??

Although some members have reported success with debit cards on Amazon, I believe that more often than not, debit cards do not work. You need an international credit card.

Coming to the transaction, if $150 is the total charge, inclusive of base cost, shipping and import fees deposit, then you will be charged 3.5% extra by the bank, ie, the amount on your statement will be:

150 x that day's US$ exchange rate x 1.035

Guys, I am trying to order a projector from Amazon total value of about 1300USD. The borderlinx calculator is showing 240 USD for shipping and import fees - which is roughly 13k. However, amazon is charging shipping @ 3200 INR, and an "Import Fee Deposit" of Rs 24k!!!

What could be the reason of that high import duty being charged by Amazon? Has anyone seen money being refunded by Amazon in case of security deposits?

What is the import tax one would expect on a home theater projector?

Lease be aware the Borderlinx calculator is showing only thebasic duty. Tax is not duly added. Hence there is a possibility that you are being collected the difference if any on landing. Anyhow it is better than getting the refund. More over BL may add the tax component when they raise the invoice to you for payment.

I have been importing lot of highend, highvalue and heavy items thru BL since 2010 iam very comfortable with them and the transaction is clean.

Finally to add, my last consignment has come as per the cost calculator charges only.

Balagopalan.

Currently acer h5370bd is selling for $456 in amazon. In the checkout I was able to see the import fees deposit as $151.04. The product is eligible for amazon free global shipper.

My doubt is, $151 could be a import fees duty for $456 projector. Or I will get some money back.

Waiting for your replies to move forward.

Thanks

You may or may not get it. It all depends on the Import Duty that will be charged by the customs.

Currently acer h5370bd is selling for $456 in amazon. In the checkout I was able to see the import fees deposit as $151.04. The product is eligible for amazon free global shipper.

My doubt is, $151 could be a import fees duty for $456 projector. Or I will get some money back.

Waiting for your replies to move forward.

Thanks

I have found ebay US to be a better place to shop than Amazon US

1. I purchased OPTOMA HD 20 @ 790USD+ shipping 80 USD + import duty 2K INR (yes 2000/- in Kolkata customs) which turned out reasonable.

2.I bought a record cleaning machine again with reasonable shipping and this time though the total cost was over 30K, no import duty was charged.

3. I frequently buy Blu rays from ebay US - the seller name is "blowitoutahere" - prices, availability are just as same as in Amazon US, shipping is USD 5 for the first BD and USD 1.5 for each extra BD, I have never got a better shipping rate than this, I am yet to pay import duty for any BD purchase, sometimes average (per BD) turns out to be 500/-

4.On the other hand, Amazon UK is also a great alternative, only snag is they are way behind their US counterpart, I would say in terms of BD collection no one comes close to Amazon US and a couple of seller in ebay

5.Somehow I don't like Amazon's duty collecting procedure. their shipping rate is too high and its as slow as any other cheap shipping method from US. sometimes it takes 80 days to reach you which is ridiculous.

just mentioned my observations

Arnab

^^^ @akd, On point 5...

I agree that Amazon.com's shipping rates are very high at $3.99 per BD and $4.99 per package. But in case you have not heard, Amazon.com has a free global shipping for orders worth $125 or more. As regards to "Import Duty", Amazon.com collects 26~26.5% of CIF value, i.e., base cost + shipping - shipping cost is included for duty calculation even if shipping is free as basically free shipping is given as a rebate. From each and every Amazon.com order of mine, I have always received some refund of the customs duty - sometimes, I received full refund.

Finally, it does not take 80 days for shipment to reach us from Amazon.com (US) - divide the figure by 10 and that is the time in days it takes on an average. All parcels from Amazon.com are usually shipped via Aramex and we can track the package completely. It is with Amazon.co.uk, that package tracking is not available and delivery time is more because the package is often held by India Foreign Post Office for duty calculation.

may be true, last time I bought from Amazon US this duty policy wasn't in place, took 60 days to reach me, I agree Amazon UK sometime takes longer, but it worked for me, my point is when you are not sure of the import duty why take it a priori, if at all that is required collect it at the time of delivery

isn't it likely that among so many issues in our daily life one may forget a sum of 2000/- which he may get as refund after say 2 months? one can't be expected to keep track of that money every week or so

As I said I always wanted to be a regular at Amazon US because they are the best, but could never gather that much of courage to put a few thousands at stake in the name of duty

Oh. I have no issues in paying duty as long as it is known upfront. With Amazon, UK, it was always a lottery and Mumbai FPO charges as high a 44%!!! You don't have to keep track of refunds (if due) at Amazon.com - they do it automatically.

Amazon automatically refunds unpaid customs duty balance in a month or so. I've been refunded even trivial amounts like Rs. 13.5/- on something worth $10. Always prefer "Shipped and sold by Amazon.com" over other sellers + shipping. It almost always works out cheaper (a lot cheaper).

I ordered a BenQ W1070 projector (Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon) at Amazon.com on April 12 using Free Global Shipper option and I received it on April 23rd which is not bad for a economy shipping free of cost. Aramex was the freight carrier and I was able to track the shipment throughout.

Packing by Amazon was average (guess because I of Free shipping option). The original Benq box was placed inside a slightly bigger carton box which was kind of damaged in the corners when I received it and made be a bit worried. The BenQ box was however showed no signs of damage. The projector was in undamaged condition and works perfectly.

I am happy with the overall purchase experience with Amazon Global except for below average packing for a USD 800+ electronics item.

I did not receive any customs duty paid receipt from Aramex at the time of delivery so I am not sure if it was actually paid in my case. I know Amazon would refund any balance within next 60 days but wondering if I would get a receipt from Aramex or Amazon for the actual duty paid. Does anyone who had purchased previously got any receipt from Aramex for the duty paid during delivery?

I ordered a BenQ W1070 projector (Sold and Fulfilled by Amazon) at Amazon.com on April 12 using Free Global Shipper option and I received it on April 23rd which is not bad for a economy shipping free of cost. Aramex was the freight carrier and I was able to track the shipment throughout.

Packing by Amazon was average (guess because I of Free shipping option). The original Benq box was placed inside a slightly bigger carton box which was kind of damaged in the corners when I received it and made be a bit worried. The BenQ box was however showed no signs of damage. The projector was in undamaged condition and works perfectly.

I am happy with the overall purchase experience with Amazon Global except for below average packing for a USD 800+ electronics item.

I did not receive any customs duty paid receipt from Aramex at the time of delivery so I am not sure if it was actually paid in my case. I know Amazon would refund any balance within next 60 days but wondering if I would get a receipt from Aramex or Amazon for the actual duty paid. Does anyone who had purchased previously got any receipt from Aramex for the duty paid during delivery?

I bought Acer H5370 PJ from Amazon around one month back. After reciving the same I contacted Amazon for actual duty paid and they asked me to call Aramex. Aramex told me that duty was paid around 8K which was similar to the amount of duty deposited upfront. I asked for the Custom reciept but they did not provide and made some excuses. No refund so far.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back