Amp recommendation for Q Acoustics 2020i

hstejas

Hi All,
I'm planning to setup a stereo system for the bedroom. Have narrowed in on the Q Acoustics 2020i bookshelves. Got a demo in bangalore and really loved the speakers. The effect was just brilliant.
Some background : I initially started off intending to buy an iPod/iPhone Airplay dock for the bedroom. Had narrowed in on the B&W Z2 as they have just arrived and had really great reviews. Even got a demo and loved it.
Then checked out Q Acoustics Soundbar as the store guy suggested that since it also had bluetooth capability.
When I was just browsing through the store came across the bookshelves. One demo and I fell in love with it. Got a demo for few of my loved songs ranging from floyd to hairband rock and few pop songs as well.
Hence have narrowed down to the speakers.
Need an amp recommendation for the speakers.
Budget : 25k Max.
Looking at a Marantz PM5004 as Hifimart has a good deal as well (might sell of the BA XS2.1 later), although I'm confused at the ratings. Its 35W at 8 ohms and 45W at 4 ohms.
The 2020i recommended power rating is 45W-75W and at 6ohms.
Will the PM5004 be able to drive the 2020i with ease? Will there be any remote chances of burning the amp/speakers?
Are there any other amp options.
I also looked at Norge amps. But not sure if they pair well with 2020i.
Contacted Mr Bajaj and he suggested 2060 for it.
Any suggestions?

On an other note, I do have a Denon AVR 1911 and Polk Audio TSI300 FS in the hall. So one more option would be to connect the bookshelves as Zone 2. But I'm a bit skeptical as it would be flat and no bass/tone controls. And of course the AVR would need to controlled from the hall which is a deal breaker in itself.

Pm5004 will work just fine. Don't get deceived by the power ratings. I have a pm5004 in my computer setup and have tried it with some very insensitive usher be718 bookshelves once and it didn't sound bad at all. In comparison, qacoustics is a super easy speaker to drive.

Hi Hstejas,

The Marantz will do just fine and has enough steam to drive the bookshelf speakers. The Cambridge amp is also good. Depending on features, connectivity and budget, you could draw the line and go for the same.

Check the Cambride Audio SR10 on hifimart
If you are considering the Marantz PM5004, for about the same price on hifimart, there is the Cambridge Audio Azur 351A

The Azur series is a league better than Topaz range. Plus the Azur 351A had a high quality DAC inbuilt. So your laptop (or HTPC later) will also turn out high quality output

The Cambridge amp is also good. Depending on features, connectivity and budget, you could draw the line and go for the same.
cLryku

Thanks for the Suggestions guys.
@sureshkn - I did the auditioning in Babbler group showroom, residency road.

I went through the reviews for cambridge amps in the forum,mainly the topaz and saw that few people complained thats its very flat. As in, it doesn't elevate the music experience.
Is the Azur better than Topaz for music?
In fact, I would want to have the digital input for amp as well, but i do not think any amp that has digital input would fit into my budget.

Marantz PM 5004 is the way to Go my friend.. very musical adequate boogie factor for those nights you decide to let your hair down:yahoo: and sweetly detailed for those lone time melodies:beer: you will enjoy it for a very long time as the speakers are easy driven and have stunning SQ:D

And dont worry yourself too much with the wattage antics .. A Naim amp that costs about 2 Lakh of ruppes outputs only 60Watts and a Yahama avr for 25K will offer 200.. its not the wattage but the current capabilities that matter. marantz will provide constant current to those speakers and will be the only ones that will remain composed during the entire performance ;)

Hi All,
I'm planning to setup a stereo system for the bedroom. Have narrowed in on the Q Acoustics 2020i bookshelves. Got a demo in bangalore and really loved the speakers. The effect was just brilliant.
Some background : I initially started off intending to buy an iPod/iPhone Airplay dock for the bedroom. Had narrowed in on the B&W Z2 as they have just arrived and had really great reviews. Even got a demo and loved it.
Then checked out Q Acoustics Soundbar as the store guy suggested that since it also had bluetooth capability.
When I was just browsing through the store came across the bookshelves. One demo and I fell in love with it. Got a demo for few of my loved songs ranging from floyd to hairband rock and few pop songs as well.
Hence have narrowed down to the speakers.
Need an amp recommendation for the speakers.
Budget : 25k Max.
Looking at a Marantz PM5004 as Hifimart has a good deal as well (might sell of the BA XS2.1 later), although I'm confused at the ratings. Its 35W at 8 ohms and 45W at 4 ohms.
The 2020i recommended power rating is 45W-75W and at 6ohms.
Will the PM5004 be able to drive the 2020i with ease? Will there be any remote chances of burning the amp/speakers?
Are there any other amp options.
I also looked at Norge amps. But not sure if they pair well with 2020i.
Contacted Mr Bajaj and he suggested 2060 for it.
Any suggestions?

On an other note, I do have a Denon AVR 1911 and Polk Audio TSI300 FS in the hall. So one more option would be to connect the bookshelves as Zone 2. But I'm a bit skeptical as it would be flat and no bass/tone controls. And of course the AVR would need to controlled from the hall which is a deal breaker in itself.

Better to go for what you audition amp ,bcz you like those sound signature. if you can choose some other amp try to pair and check.

Q Acoustics 2020i are lovely speakers indeed! Given that you have liked the sound signature during the demo, why not go for the same amp that drove these speakers? If that amp is out of our budget you may consider Yamaha A-S500, Harman Kardon HK 3390 or 3490 however for these amp you may have to stretch your budget some more but you will have an enjoyable system. Keep us posted once you have purchased an amp, happy hunting!!!

Thanks for the recommendation Prakash.
Also thanks to rav_mk1.
During the demo it was being driven by a Denon Amp PMA520AE.
Since Marantz is also very similar to Denon I thought would go for that.
Although few guys here suggested the Cambridge Azur 351A which has digital inputs as well.
That looks pretty good. Haven't been able to get a demo of it though, unfortunately :-(
I'm leaning towards Marantz mainly for the price point and maybe buy a decent DAC later for iPod inputs. Or should I just buy the CA itself?

Thanks for the recommendation Prakash.
Also thanks to rav_mk1.
During the demo it was being driven by a Denon Amp PMA520AE.
Since Marantz is also very similar to Denon I thought would go for that.
Although few guys here suggested the Cambridge Azur 351A which has digital inputs as well.
That looks pretty good. Haven't been able to get a demo of it though, unfortunately :-(
I'm leaning towards Marantz mainly for the price point and maybe buy a decent DAC later for iPod inputs. Or should I just buy the CA itself?

How much is the cost for q acoustics 2020i , did u get any discount for those?

Cost quoted is 25k. Haven't haggled with the dealer yet. trying to finalise an amp before going and testing with it once again.
Dealer is in residency road - Babbler group.

Hi Tejas,
Why don't you take a look at Peachtree Deco integrated.. They are a lot of amplifier for the money you pay.. you get in built DAC with a Tube buffer Pre and SS power section.. what this does is it keeps the sound warm and musical with out sacrificing detail, speed and bass performance.. plus as a bonus they look good too.. they should be complementing your Q Acoustics quite well..

Thanks for the suggestion guys.
Checked out Jolida and Peachtree. Looks are just amazing, but they are tube amps.
Which is way out of by budget. Almost 3 times more :P
Would be 3 or 4 times the cost of the speakers.
My budget is around 25k INR.
Read a couple of reviews about the Marantz pm5004 amp that I was checking out. The power at 4ohms seems to be very less compared to competitors. 45W. where as CA Azur 351A and Denon pma520AE (The one used by the dealer for driving the 2020i) offers way more. 70W. Was also reading upon how the speaker-amp impedance matching should be.
I'm worried if I might overkill the amp by driving the 2020i.

Update again. I tested the Mordaunt Short Aviano 2 over the weekend at Audio house, Koramangla. Really liked the speakers. However the dealer told me that MS have completely stopped production and the spares that they have, may last till 2017 only. Any problem after that, would not be sure of getting it repaired.
Also, the dealer showed me an active speaker called "Aktimate". Seemed too bright for my taste, but apparently its being used as a studio speaker by a lot of celebrity musicians.
He did not have the CA Azur 351A available for tests, so we used the 851A.
Also wanted to check out the Sonodyne and Norge pairing with 4 ohm Q Acoustics 2020i. Anyone has an idea about this particular pairing?

Also, regarding the Marantz 5004, all the dealers I spoke to during enquiry said that the amp would be able to drive 4 ohm speakers only to about 40% of the volume. So I'm a bit skeptical now about that.

Update again.
He did not have the CA Azur 351A available for tests, so we used the 851A.

Hi hstejas, since you listened to 851A, How is 851A performance? I am in same boat as you, looking for stereo amp to my Tannoy v4 FS, interested in CA either 651A or 851A, I am yet to audition them.

thanks

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back