Amplifier for vintage Sony speakers

avidyarthy

Hi All,

I finally took down my vintage Sony speakers (pair), which were placed atop a cupboard. They used to be powered by a Sony amplifier, which too was procured way back in 1988 from the Orson showroom at Vasant Vihar. Kind of, spent my prime listening to stereo till a few days back when I somehow graduated to 5.1 after making a hole in my pocket .... Wharfedale Moviestar 70+ speaker set and Pioneer VSX 519K AVR.

The Pioneer has a multizone capability. SO, which amplifier should I select to power the vintage Sony beauties. Just don't have the heart to discard them ... after more than 20 years of single-ownership use. As they were always atop the cupboard, still look brand new, still with the crystal clear sound reproduction.

Don't have the user manual anymore, but whatever little I remember:

Speaker make: SONY
Model: SS-S440 (written)
Type: 3 way
Weight: 14 kg each
Power: 45 W (RMS) ..... I think, not sure.

Don't possess any other info such as impedance, dB, etc etc...

Attaching herewith the pics of the Sony speakers as well as the recently procured HT set-up. Thoroughly satified with the new system. It may not be out of the world, but quite decent ... and a bit stiff for our Indian non-IT salary.

Would love to get your expert suggestions.

Ashok

Last edited:
Hi,

Some more information I could lay hands on .... from very old, torn speaker manual pages ....

Impedance: 8 ohms
Power handling capacity: 45 W (nominal)
90 W (maximum)

Thanks
Ashok

You need not buy a new amp. Reuse your AVR for some time, and see if you need a new amp.
This AVR has provision to connect more speakers. So you can hook up your sony's as speaker B and keep your HT as speakers A. If you want, you can also use these sonys as front speakers. In fact I would suggest you also try these speakers as your main left/ right speakers for some time. When you want to listen only to music, change the mode to stereo direct or something similar.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The thing is, might need to listen to something else in the other room other than what is playing in the main room. That is where the multizone feature would be different from the Speaker A / B fundamental.

There was no way I could use the Sony as part of HT, as needed to place them on the floor. There is no floor-space available and they can't be set up on the wall (each weighs 14 kg). Also have a 3 year old 'demon' (son) who could possibly make mincemeat of the sensitive-looking tweeter and the large woofer, if easy access is provided.

Again put the speakers on top of yet another cupboard in the 2nd bedroom, after extensive dusting/cleaning.

I shan't be blasting away the pair in this new location. Someone suggested that I look at Norge 2060 ........ could I settle for Norge or some other lesser power amps, say 15 W (RMS). Technically, there should'nt be any issue at all.

Thanks
Ashok

You need not buy a new amp. Reuse your AVR for some time, and see if you need a new amp.
This AVR has provision to connect more speakers. So you can hook up your sony's as speaker B and keep your HT as speakers A. If you want, you can also use these sonys as front speakers. In fact I would suggest you also try these speakers as your main left/ right speakers for some time. When you want to listen only to music, change the mode to stereo direct or something similar.

Hi All,

Find attached the new location where I set up the speakers. This is at the 2nd bedroom which is the next room to where the HT set-up is.

Also attaching the long-shot of my current HT set-up. The AVR is in the bottom slot, while the DVD player and cable settop box is in the middle slot, while the wharf centre takes the top slot. The CRT LG TV is on top of the entire contraption. Waiting for the LCD TV prices to fall further since am interested in the 40 to 50" screen size. Though, am more than satisfied with the CRT imaging.

Would add the new planned for amplifier in the middle slot alongwith the DVD player/settop box.

Ashok

Last edited:
The Sonys are up and running now ...... still, not the way I would like them to, though.

The new Amp is there, a staid but very very efficient Norge 1000 Concerto Gold. The 'Lagaan' scores have been done many times over and still want to hear them yet again. Such is the depth, clarity and finesse of this vintage pair.

Wanted to hear them through the 'multizone' out of the Pioneer AVR to which the Amp is connected. Somehow, the supplier's installer has not been able to get this thing going. Maybe, some minor hitch only, I hope. Let their expert visit after a couple of days and try fix it. Thinking it to be quite basic, I too tried, but still no result.

Lost my patience and connected the Norge to the wires going to the 'other' zone Sony speakers .... temporarily, and wow .... super!

BTW, changed the DVD too.... Philips to Pioneer 220. Still waiting for my TT repair guy to send back the machine. I know ANM might be losing sleep .....

Fantastic looking speakers avidyarthy, enjoy them... though am worried about the positioning of the speakers:D but then you pointed out your little son :ohyeah: at his age sure will be more than interested in playing with them:D
Am sure you will pass on the speakers to him as your legacy....;)

The vintage 1962 TT arrived yesterday after repairs on the cartridge and speed control. Just about ok quality sound coming out ..... guess, I need a change on the cartridge front. Bit of hissing and cracking sound .... only sometimes from a few LPs. Possibly, some more cleaning required.

The TT has been provided with a pre-amp and the output directly connected to a spare slot on the AVR.

Another spare slot is available which would now be latched on to the tape deck (given for servicing yesterday). So, am mighty kicked to combine the vintage ..... 1962 TT and 1988 tape deck to my recently acquired HT.

Would have my carpenter make a suitable set-up to house the vintage stuff which would be kept by the side of my HT, once the tape deck comes back. Would post pics of the entire combo, once in place .......

BTW, the old Sony's are sounding better with the TT than with the new Wharf satellites ..... warmer, to be exact.

The tape deck is back from servicing.

So, my set up is complete. Now, only have to make the additional furniture to house the TT, tape deck, LP storage and cassette storage place, all, in one cabinet, which I would keep next to my HT.

The tapes are sounding sweet ......... my collection for the last 20 years, maybe 300 in all.

Would like to thank this forum, many members who had chipped in with encouragements and suggestions to set right the TT and tape deck, and combine the two oldies with my new procurements.

Once everything is made, would love to show you all how the final thing looks. It is definitely sounding great, that too with a two room flexibility.

hey - thanks for the reference of mr kalam. He has fixed the speed, and the issue of echo seems to be a cart problem. He charged 800 from me, and put in a used cart. Everything seems to be ok, except continues screech which seems more like a cartridge problem. I hope to replace with my sparkling new shure 97 cartridge. This should be the project for this week :)

i have 160w rms 6ohm speakers and 1 subwoofer with the same watt and impedence. please suggest me an amplifier or av receiver

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back