Are Wharfdale Lintons suitable for a small room?

Venkyrenga

My room is 12*14 ft. Will the Lintons do fine in that space or would it be too much? I will be driving it with a Marantz model 40n and will sit 8 feet away.

My room is 12*14 ft. Will the Lintons do fine in that space or would it be too much? I will be driving it with a Marantz model 40n and will sit 8 feet away.
Even i had this question for myself.
What i had read, they should be away from back wall, else it may too much.

Depends, Is the room dedicated for audio or is the space a bedroom where the speakers gonna be placed?

Haven’t heard it yet, but the new Super Denton might be an interesting option to consider given the size of the room. It is a smaller 3 way based on the Linton concept and specced to go down to 40 Hz.

Hello. I own a pair of Lintons. They play in my 11' x 23' living room. The speakers are 3.6' and 2.2' from the front and side walls respectively (measurements taken from the front baffle and the center of the speakers). They sound quite alright for what they are with some frequency bumps due to the nature of the room (it happens in any room).

As is obvious, my room is narrower than yours but is a tad longer due to a foyer. If you are keen on Lintons, I would suggest you go for them. There can be multiple ways of taming that bass boom in your room.

a) Pls pull your speakers out as much as you can. It might look a little odd initially but if you go with a calculated compromise, everything just settles in time. This is the best and the most effective way to manage your in-room frequency response. It works not only for the bass but also for the entire spectrum, and it is free.

b) Using a good amplifier will provide a controlled low end presence. The Lintons go down to 3.5 ohms. Despite their 90dB rating, they are not an easy load.

c) If your intended listening room has a door or an entryway on the side walls, it will be helpful.

d) A carpet or a thicker area rug (natural fibers only), upholstered seating, plants in the corners, a small bookshelf (with books!); all of these would have a positive effect on your room acoustics. They would make your room more listenable and would not have yours look like a recording studio.

e) As a very last measure you might need some minor room treatment on the back wall and the front wall corners. You can greatly reduce the need for a backwall treatment if you can avoid sitting too close to it.
In my personal opinion, the room treatments are really unnecessary for the Lintons. They go down to a modest 40Hz and pulling them out from the back wall further smoothens them upwards. You also have the option of stuffing one or both the ports, but I could not develop a liking for the same.

These are great interim speakers and have the potential to provide years of listening pleasure. All the best.

-AK

Last edited:
Hello. I own a pair of Lintons. They play in my 11' x 23' living room. The speakers are 3.6' and 2.2' from the front and side walls respectively (measurements taken from the front baffle and the center of the speakers). They sound quite alright for what they are with some frequency bumps due to the nature of the room (it happens in any room).

As is obvious, my room is narrower than yours but is a tad longer due to a foyer. If you are keen on Lintons, I would suggest you go for them. There can be multiple ways of taming that bass boom in your room.

a) Pls pull your speakers out as much as you can. It might look a little odd initially but if you go with a calculated compromise, everything just settles in time. This is the best and the most effective way to manage your in-room frequency response. It works not only for the bass but also for the entire spectrum, and it is free.

b) Using a good amplifier will provide a controlled low end presence. The Lintons go down to 3.5 ohms. Despite their 90dB rating, they are not an easy load.

c) If your intended listening room has a door or an entryway on the side walls, it will be helpful.

d) A carpet or a thicker area rug (natural fibers only), upholstered seating, plants in the corners, a small bookshelf (with books!); all of these would have a positive effect on your room acoustics. They would make your room more listenable and would not have yours look like a recording studio.

e) As a very last measure you might need some minor room treatment on the back wall and the front wall corners. You can greatly reduce the need for a backwall treatment if you can avoid sitting too close to it.
In my personal opinion, the room treatments are really unnecessary for the Lintons. They go down to a modest 40Hz and pulling them out from the back wall further smoothens them upwards. You also have the option of stuffing one or both the ports, but I could not develop a liking for the same.

These are great interim speakers and have the potential to provide years of listening pleasure. All the best.

-AK
Hi, thanks for the detailed response. I have had Denton 85 for some time. There were two things I didn't like about it. The first one is the elevated treble which I was able to tame by adding a resistor. The second one is that it makes all music sound pleasant and sometimes misses the raw emotion. Does Linton have these same issues?

Hi, thanks for the detailed response. I have had Denton 85 for some time. There were two things I didn't like about it. The first one is the elevated treble which I was able to tame by adding a resistor. The second one is that it makes all music sound pleasant and sometimes misses the raw emotion. Does Linton have these same issues?
Adding resistor means, in crossover ?

You are welcome. Lintons do sound soft but the HF does not stand out. It is the midrange that does.

So, is the midrange very colored or is it true to the original sound? I get it is soft which is good for me.
lf one is looking for true to original (uncoloured) sound, then Linton won’t float their boat. Lintons are fun speakers, they draw you into the music. I doubt analytical listeners would like them as much as those who primarily look to enjoy their music. Such speakers have to be heard to decide. You will either like them or won’t, they are those kind of speakers.

lf one is looking for true to original (uncoloured) sound, then Linton won’t float their boat. Lintons are fun speakers, they draw you into the music. I doubt analytical listeners would like them as much as those who primarily look to enjoy their music. Such speakers have to be heard to decide. You will either like them or won’t, they are those kind of speakers.
I am not an analytical listener at all. I just want all the emotion of the music to be conveyed properly. The Denton 85 does not do that it makes everything sound pleasant. It tries to make even a sad music sound pleasant. I just wonder if the Lintons do the same.

I am not an analytical listener at all. I just want all the emotion of the music to be conveyed properly. The Denton 85 does not do that it makes everything sound pleasant. It tries to make even a sad music sound pleasant. I just wonder if the Lintons do the same.

Not heard any of these . But I guess , you have purchased Denton's Online . Just go for speakers available in Chennai , get a demo ,that's the only way you can get what sounds good for your ears

. I just want all the emotion of the music to be conveyed properly.
Musical emotion is not conveyed by your speakers alone, it’s your system as a whole. No one can tell if a specific set of speakers will deliver that in your setup, in your room.

@AKT said it best, listen for yourself via an audition. If that’s not possible, check out the review below. It’s the most uncoloured (no pun intended!) review of the Lintons out there. It should give you a better idea of what to expect.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back