Blu-Ray or Media player.

Vairamuthu

Hi guys,

I have a Philips 32" LCD TV and a Philips DVD HTiB. I watch downloaded movies in .avi format and listen to music in .mp3 in my system. As my DVD HTiB does not support .mkv and .mp4 video formats and .flac audio formats, I came to know that these can be played in my LCD TV using a media player or a blu-ray player. I kindly request the members to guide me in getting one. My budget is around 6k to 7k. Thank you in advance.

Hi

A Blu Ray player is definitely better as you can play almost all Discs and also play content from an external HDD.

I found Pioneer BDP 160k to be good VFM as it provides excellent connectivity options, awesome output and quality of sound and picture...the biggest advantage is firmware is upgradable via usb which can be downloaded from the website.

All the best....

Hi guys,

I have a Philips 32" LCD TV and a Philips DVD HTiB. I watch downloaded movies in .avi format and listen to music in .mp3 in my system. As my DVD HTiB does not support .mkv and .mp4 video formats and .flac audio formats, I came to know that these can be played in my LCD TV using a media player or a blu-ray player. I kindly request the members to guide me in getting one. My budget is around 6k to 7k. Thank you in advance.
I think your bottleneck is your DVD HTiB which will not support HDMI input and hence whatever multi channel sound / surround sound your BDP or media player will output, HTIB will play only the stereo components with may be pseudo surround effects. Not a problem if playing audio is your only concern.

Otherwise BDP or Media Player will do but my preference will be a media player if you want to spend less now and focus on playing variety of internet downloadable format of video.

Hi Vairamuthu,
For media player to work, one way out is in case your tv supports HDMI and your HTiB supports digital audio input. Then you can have the media player's hdmi port connected to your tv and optical/co-axial input to your HTiB amp.

WD media player has both hdmi and optical out.

Thank you Subhash. I have attached 4 pics of my TV and HTiB setup. Kindly have a look.

Attachments

• Tv.jpg
    Tv.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Rear DVD.jpg
    Rear DVD.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 119
  • Rear DVD1.jpg
    Rear DVD1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 119
  • TV and DVD.jpg
    TV and DVD.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 120
Hi Vairamuthu,
For media player to work, one way out is in case your tv supports HDMI and your HTiB supports digital audio input. Then you can have the media player's hdmi port connected to your tv and optical/co-axial input to your HTiB amp.

WD media player has both hdmi and optical out.

+1 really a good idea, please evaluate depending upon the compatibility of your Philips HTiB model

u can also try Asus O play mini ..good media player with variety of formats ..7.1 output & dolby true HD ..decoders are available..
also check Western digital media player ...

Thank you Subhash. I have attached 4 pics of my TV and HTiB setup. Kindly have a look.

I took a look, can you let me know the exact model number of the philips HTiB as I did see it is written on it that "Class 1 Laser Product" but still trying to fins if any optical input is at all there. Note clear for the rear pictures. At this point I think that you need to buy media player and connect the HDMI out of the Media Player to the TV HDMI in (I see there is one still free). Can you confirm if you are sending the stereo audio out from TV to HTiB?

Last edited:
Hi Subhash, thank you for your reply. The model of my HTiB is HTS3511E. I connected the TV and HTiB with a HDMI cable. My TV has an SPDIF out, but to be honest I do not know what to do with it.

I usually download 700-MB movies which is mainly .avi and play it with the USB provided in the HTiB.

If your TV supports multichannel audio (.mkv\.avi etc) files then you can also try playing those directly on TV with optical\digital out from TV to HTiB. For this to work TV needs to support decoding or HTiB to take bitstream and decode it. if this works then you may save some green :)

One more thing,

You can use component video instead of the composite you are using to improve picture quality.

Your STB has component output. Use it to connect to your TV.

Hi Vairamuthu,
Sorry for the late reply man!! got stuck in many things in office..

Now what i understood is you present config - you are connecting your TV to HTiB thru HDMI like this

TV --(HDMI) --> Philips HTiB --> Speakers & subs

Now your HtiB has the following connections(as per my understanding from Philips site, correct me if its not correct):

Component Video output - progressive scan - resolution around 480-540p
Composite video (CVBS) output
HDMI 1.3 -- Already taken by your TV connection.

What you can do
connect the media player to the HTiB through HDMI and TV to HtiB through Component Video output

Result:
You will be able to get 5.1 ch sound but the display won't be HD

Had there been any optical in or co-ax in in your HTiB, the issue would have been solved very well.

let me know your views.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back