Budget DAC with optical input

I am a new member to the dac club. After a lot of reading and research, i went the cheap Chinese way and bought the s.m.s.l. Sanskrit 6. Cost only 105$. I find it good. And it has all the numbers. But i don't know how it would stack up against bigger costlier DAC. Another product i had considered is the meridian explorer. Check em out.

Schiit Modi-2 has OPT/COAX/USB
$99 in the US (B-stock is $89) plus $10 shipping. Within your budget.

If you know anyone visiting India in the near future, have them carry it for you.
I should be getting Modi-2-Uber in the next couple of days (friend carried it for me). Will let you know how it sounds.

Cheers,
Raghu

Schiit Modi-2 has OPT/COAX/USB
$99 in the US (B-stock is $89) plus $10 shipping. Within your budget.

If you know anyone visiting India in the near future, have them carry it for you.
I should be getting Modi-2-Uber in the next couple of days (friend carried it for me). Will let you know how it sounds.

Cheers,
Raghu

Modi -2 Uber has USB 2.0, Toslink SPDIF, Coaxial SPDIF ( $ 149)

Modi -2 version is limited to USB 2.0 input ( $99)

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.

Been there, done that. So hope this helps!

I started with a Fiio e5 headphone amp in 2005 and instantly liked the sound output from the Headphones. Then I "updraded" from my 3K Bose to a SoundMagic P10 and found them better than bose. My desktop experience were previously Creative SBS > altec lansing mx5021 (loved) > Swans

For my desktop Audio - after reading and reading the forums: I debated between Audioengine A5+ and Swans: Swans M50W (2.1 Active Speaker set)

My Desktop DAC on a very strict budget was "Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 Plus DAC w/ OPA627 OpAmp & GE5670W Tube" - It Shipped direct from the seller via DHL and I got it at hand in Delhi within 15 Days. Cost me 17k. All I can say it that it was money well spent as the sound from my Swans became 10 times better - YES the difference was so much perceptible. I have tried it with optical out from my Desktop (Asus P8Z77-V PRO Motherboard, Jriver Media Player, FLAC) and also with USB. Both connections sound good. For sound out, I find the Pre-outs through the Tube amp more natural, warm and mellow, while the outs from the digital outs sound good but a bit too clinical. The D2 may be even better - but I was on a budget and wanted more connectivity for my Desktop music system.

I have heard, Polk and Mordaunt shorts Tannoys and Dali - but if you ask me - Swans with TubeMagic gives them a run for money in musicality, tonality, and in prevention of ear fatigue. What it can never do, is create the big sound stage that these big speakers create, but for a directional desktop system its superb and matches them in dynamic range and agility.

Some links:
Maverick Audio: Maverick Audio TubeMagic DAC D1 Plus w/ OPA 627 OpAMps & GE NOS 5670 Tube pre-installed

Swan Speakers: Online Portable Music System - Music Headphones in India - HiFiNage

Fiio: The Audio Megastore

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back