Buying turntable is really worthy in India!

sahoork

Buying turntable is really worthy in India. It's because either I haven't searched well as I am not getting vinyl from any store. Pl reply friends.

I'm bumfuzzled by your post! Are you asking a question or making a declaration?

Let me paraphrase his query:

“Is it worth buying a turntable in India? Is vinyl available easily? I haven’t found vinyl in any store here. Perhaps I haven’t searched well enough. Are there any sources of vinyl you know of? Pl reply friends.”

@sahoork, kindly word the thread title as a question rather than a statement if you are asking something.

I don’t own a TT, but know that a number or FMs have large vinyl collections and keep adding to it. New Vinyl is sold on Amazon, eBay UK etc. There are also stores/sources in bigger cities. Not sure if there’s any FM from Bhubhaneshwar/Orissa, but there are many active members from Kolkatta, perhaps they could help you with the local/regional sources. Also search older posts on the topic - you could find some leads. Also, there are Vinyl For Sale postings in the forum too from time to time. Keep looking for those.

All in all, if one is a vinyl sound lover, I’d think it’s totally worth buying a turntable in India. With some effort you could get enough vinyls to justify your investment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buying turntable is really worthy in India. It's because either I haven't searched well as I am not getting vinyl from any store. Pl reply friends.
Welcome to the forum. Do go through all the rules for a happy stay.

If you're asking then yes totally worth it. They are the best sounding and cannot be recreated by any digital system. I love it but don't have it, due to various reasons, primary one being I don't have a collection of records and no time to hunt for them.

If you have the time and inclination there are a number of vinyl lovers here who can help you out.

MaSh

lots of idle time ... and lots of money to waste

That sounds like a prejudice against vinyl. It’s like a non-music lover telling you should listen to music ‘only if you have lots of idle time and lots of money to waste’.

People don’t get into a hobby because they have idle time and money to waste. They find the time and spare the money to follow the passion.

Also here the OP has clearly mentioned the reason for his deliberation - concerns over availability of vinyl.

You can look at vinyls as an investment. It’s probably the only thing in audio that’s going up in value. And it will probably continue to do so. I have been into vinyls since 2012. Today if I were to sell my collection I would get at least 3 times of what I paid.

I am sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling here, but I have lots of friends who are vinyl freaks, who talks loads about vinyl, and have collections up to 2000 vinyls some of which they bought by paying thousands (some Malayalam movie titles which have a price of Rs. 40 printed on it, is charged around 1500/-) The funniest part, its been years since they collected these vinyl, but almost 60 per cent vinyls, they have not heard,..... yet. I think they purchased these for the sake of collection........so I believe, its waste of money. IMHO again.
I agree that vinyl is becoming expensive to buy. Does somebody with a vinyl collection listen to vinyl all the time, maybe no. I listen to vinyl as well as my digital media and youtube etc.
It would be nice to have an extensive vinyl collection where I yet hadn't heard all the vinyl in my possession. it still dorsnt make it a waste of money and IMHO, I'd love to be in those shoes. :)

I am sorry if I hurt anybody's feeling here, but I have lots of friends who are vinyl freaks, who talks loads about vinyl, and have collections up to 2000 vinyls some of which they bought by paying thousands (some Malayalam movie titles which have a price of Rs. 40 printed on it, is charged around 1500/-) The funniest part, its been years since they collected these vinyl, but almost 60 per cent vinyls, they have not heard,..... yet. I think they purchased these for the sake of collection........so I believe, its waste of money. IMHO again.

This is out of topic, but ‘collection’ itself can be a hobby with some. Also, a vinyl with Rs 40 printed on it is likely to be vintage and can govern its own price today depending on its rarity, edition and physical state. First prints of old Hindi albums even sell at Rs 15000 and could be well worth it if you have a system that does justice to it.

No hurt feelings. One of the advantages of such a varied and open forum is that we get to see the aspects we might have missed earlier.

@sahoork , There are thousands of posts right here on the forum on vinyls which you need to read up. There are many ways to get vinyls. It is a very seriously expensive hobby/passion and requires great depths of patience, time and expertise.

Unless of course you just want to plonk any TT and spin vinyls for the heck of it.

Enough shops and magazines report that record buyers today are in the age group of 20 to 40 years of age or thereabouts so its not necessarily an old man"s pursuit.
As far as the expense of setting up a turntable and a phono, you could buy a vintage TT and an amp with phono inputs and will not have to spend a fortune.
Vinyl collection can be limited to absolute must haves/favourites and a lot of people do not buy indiscriminately because of expenses to be incurred.

IMO, that is wrong info. As far as I know, people of the mentioned age group scoff at even CDs, forget LPs. I apologize for deviating from the main subject.
If you are talking about young people overall, I agree. I was talking of the demographic within the record buying crowd. Anyways, like you said we are deviating. apologies.

Enough shops and magazines report that record buyers today are in the age group of 20 to 40 years of age or thereabouts so its not necessarily an old man"s pursuit.
As far as the expense of setting up a turntable and a phono, you could buy a vintage TT and an amp with phono inputs and will not have to spend a fortune.
Vinyl collection can be limited to absolute must haves/favourites and a lot of people do not buy indiscriminately because of expenses to be incurred.
True...started getting into Vinyl at 30 and now 10 years later I feel I am just getting started. Ohh and by the way it is totally worth it!

It’s mostly the younger lot that has bought newly released Bollywood vinyls in India too. It’s the new vinyl releases post 2000 that have sold. Music companies were expecting the older lot to buy. But that didn’t happen. But the numbers sold of even new releases are dismal. Which is why Sony DADC folded up their vinyl division in India. But here we are not talking numbers. The debate was which age group buys. And that in India too was the younger lot.

It’s interesting to see the kind of people who own vinyl set ups.

Last edited:
Vinyls are definitely making a comeback.
Having said that and after spending considerable time and money on it last year in order to get back into vinyls after a gap of 24 years, I feel the experience of playing music through a TT is far greater than the end result.

Vinyls are definitely making a comeback.
Having said that and after spending considerable time and money on it last year in order to get back into vinyls after a gap of 24 years, I feel the experience of playing music through a TT is far greater than the end result.
"I feel the experience of playing music through a TT is far greater than the end result."
+1 to that :)
I"d say physical media has its joy's for sure. Be it cassettes, CDs or Records.

I had a had a query with respect to recordings. How would one compare the recordings of the latest records with the digital media (Wav, MP3, CD's etc) in today's times with respect to mastering ? Do they sound full bodied like the earlier records ? The reason being nowadays the source recording itself is digital as in the case of visuals too if I am not mistaken.
If this scenario is true, then will a record and a cd of the same album sound similar ?

Last edited:
IMO, that is wrong info. As far as I know, people of the mentioned age group scoff at even CDs, forget LPs. I apologize for deviating from the main subject.

First you challenge someone’s statement saying ‘IMO’. If it’s your opinion, how can you prove someone’s information wrong based on it?

You are comparing people of the US with Indians:D:D . There is a sea of difference between the American youth and our youth. Our youth are more money conscious, more inclined to convenience and absolutely impatient. I can say that, I am a father of two of such. My daughter has forced me to buying a Sonos connect for 40k and asked me to get rid of my cds as it is consuming lot of space and that I am wasting time playing cds. :(

Then when someone provides you statistics, you refute the applicability of US statistics to Indian population, but don’t provide any Indian data yourself. Instead you justify based on your personal experience with two youngsters!

I had a had a query with respect to recordings. How would one compare the recordings of the latest records with the digital media (Wav, MP3, CD's etc) in today's times with respect to mastering ? Do they sound full bodied like the earlier records ? The reason being nowadays the source recording itself is digital as in the case of visuals too if I am not mistaken.
If this scenario is true, then will a record and a cd of the same album sound similar ?
Nitin, the vinyls of new releases sound better than the original CD in most cases. This is not because vinyl is superior to CD or anything like that. It’s because the CD glass master which is made from the original digital master is normally tweaked to sound good on lesser systems and radio stations. So in most cases it’s gets dynamically compressed so that it sounds louder. Whereas the vinyl lacquer which is also made from the original digital master is not tweaked. Hence to a large extent it retains the essence of the original digital master. It’s only because of this reason, in most cases the vinyl release of a new Bollywood title sounds better than the CD release of the same title. If the CD were to be mastered correctly then there would be no need to get a vinyl of that release.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back