Buying turntable is really worthy in India!

Nitin, the vinyls of new releases sound better than the original CD in most cases. This is not because vinyl is superior to CD or anything like that. It’s because the CD glass master which is made from the original digital master is normally tweaked to sound good on lesser systems and radio stations. So in most cases it’s gets dynamically compressed so that it sounds louder. Whereas the vinyl lacquer which is also made from the original digital master is not tweaked. Hence to a large extent it retains the essence of the original digital master. It’s only because of this reason, in most cases the vinyl release of a new Bollywood title sounds better than the CD release of the same title. If the CD were to be mastered correctly then there would be no need to get a vinyl of that release.

Hi Prem, thanks a lot for your insightful reply. Was always curious about it.

Regards,
Nitin

Turntables are really adorable if we think about pure analogue . Of the physical media TTs are better IMO. If one wants to buy a TT,he is welcome. TTs are available in India both online and offline. Those come in various price tags. One can buy an entry level TT or a pricey one. It depends on one's choice, budget etc. I don't want to start a debate here but I want to say humbly that vinyls sound better than cassettes or cds. I can't say exactly how many young people or veteran people buy vinyls but can say that both elderly and young ones like vinyls. As a matter of fact vinyls are sold in shops where old and young people gather to buy vinyls of their choice. In my house my son who has sat for Madhyamik examination this year always encourages me to buy vinyls and in his free time wants to spin records though he also likes Spotify and Gana. I know some other young people in my locality and abroad who like vinyls and spend money buying new releases. However I strongly oppose the opinion that only veteran as well as retired persons are in to vinyls. I am not so old and far from my superannuation :D . If corona spares me then I shall have to wait for it for 12 long years:D. I have been with the vinyls , my precious gems for near about 40 years or more than that. It is a nostalgia to me. When I play a record , I actually look behind my by gone days.... My childhood, parents ,relatives...... buying vinyls with my father, looking for new albums, buying stylus, mending the tattered vinyl covers etc. Even today I find the same warmth as once I got in my childhood while spinning vinyls.However, I don't say cds are inferior but I like vinyls over any other sources. It may be my madness but I have all the tracks on vinyls as I have those on cds, cassettes and Gana or Spotify and to my ears vinyls sound sweeter.
Regards

Nitin, the vinyls of new releases sound better than the original CD in most cases. This is not because vinyl is superior to CD or anything like that. It’s because the CD glass master which is made from the original digital master is normally tweaked to sound good on lesser systems and radio stations. So in most cases it’s gets dynamically compressed so that it sounds louder. Whereas the vinyl lacquer which is also made from the original digital master is not tweaked. Hence to a large extent it retains the essence of the original digital master. It’s only because of this reason, in most cases the vinyl release of a new Bollywood title sounds better than the CD release of the same title. If the CD were to be mastered correctly then there would be no need to get a vinyl of that release.

Prem, are there any labels/music companies that master their CDs correctly? It’d be useful to have a list of such labels.

Most of the Indian classical music labels like Navras, Chanda Dhara do it right. Some on Music Today label sound good. For Bollywood stuff, most of the titles pressed abroad sound good. For example Lagaan, Vande Mataram, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai pressings from Austria on Sony Music label. DDLJ and Dil to Pagal Hai pressings from UK on Saregama label. Roja and Colonial Cousins pressings from Canada on Magnasound label. These are a few I remember.

Indian classical music labels like Navras, Chanda Dhara do it right
I have recently purchased few carnatic classical album CDs from Amazon under the label INRECO. I couldn't find any other source for these albums. I would like to know if the CDs from Charsur are mastered correctly. Additionally, if you know well mastered labels for classical music, please suggest. Some of the songs that I like are available in Saregama for download, but the quality is very poor.

Hi I am not familiar with Charsur label. I exited digital in 2012. For Indian classical on Saregama, the only ones that sound good are either the PMLP or the PSLP series pressed in UK between 1988 and 1994

Let me paraphrase his query:

“Is it worth buying a turntable in India? Is vinyl available easily? I haven’t found vinyl in any store here. Perhaps I haven’t searched well enough. Are there any sources of vinyl you know of? Pl reply friends.”

@sahoork, kindly word the thread title as a question rather than a statement if you are asking something.

Thank you for paraphrasing...

@sahoork , your innocent query/declaration thread on turntables/vinyl has metamorphosed into an interesting yet boring debate on the worthiness of vinyl... Let me advise that if you really love the sound and the tactile experience of vinyl then by all means please dive right in! there's a whole wide world waiting to be discovered and enjoyed!!

As mentioned by FMs above, there are quite a few online / offline sources where you can get decent turntables and LPs as well as the related accessories. you can always consult Professor Google for help!

Without wanting to add my two paisa 'discourse' on the merits/demerits of vinyl, I have taken a lot of time and trouble to scour the world wide web for pictures that express my humble point of view...(after all pictures are worth more than a thousand boring words)

To me, vinyl lovers fall into the following broad categories ...ymmv and you may / may not be faced with the conundrum of deciding which category you belong to.. time and sagacity do help in the long run...

The hipsters / vinyl wannabes / junkies..

images.jpeg

ac2ef06d92b095eeab3497d8535da2cc.jpg

images (1).jpeg

The 'artists' / 'innovators' ...gets me boiling mad when I see how vinyl ends up iso on a turntable...

b64054b4b53497102b8ca22ea60ef229.jpg

0e34f669930a2715888a9d3a36ab4121.jpg

The elite snobs / serious collectors / exhibitionists / audiophiles suffering from incurable upgraditis..

e55cfa928d9a58af53b5973c6931ac99.jpg

42038517203af6394dee9a4778d6d4f1.jpg

images (4).jpeg

684997f3f70e18cbc3d77c57a89faef6.jpg

and finally..last but certainly not the least....there is me!

efaaeb7811df501539b27e440e174262.jpg

7a160e4232ac500a57f937ba463f2315.jpg

images (3).jpeg

All the best to you ! Enjoy the bliss of analog while it lasts...

Buying turntable is really worthy in India. It's because either I haven't searched well as I am not getting vinyl from any store. Pl reply friends.
Friend
Do you have any significant collection of vinyls, inherited from your parents, uncles? Any childhood memory of being babysit by a HMV Fiesta? Any memories of your dad bringing home LPs in a brown paper wrapping on his payday?
Vinyls are much nostalgia and feeling as it is about music and recording quality. I suggest you go over to a friend who owns a TT and vinyl collection and spend time. Find out about practical challenges. Try to appreciate what is pure analog sound. If you are fascinated, then the next step starts.
I came back to vinyls after 30 years. Cleaned and restored all my Dad's vinyls, quickly built a couple of a few hundred new discs and a good table with accessories. It's the best musical decision I have taken.
Most members here are passionate about their hobbies and temperature can sometimes be high. Stay clear from strong opinions from either sides.
It's possible to get a good TT in India but they are priced ridiculously. Try to get it from abroad if you can. Vinyls are available in Amazon but stocks seem to be rapidly dwindling. (Lockdown effect?)
I have bought significant number of copies in India. Rest during my trips abroad. Yes it's a small fortune. But it's a tribute to the artists and the art I care for. And it would last for many decades. My teenager son is a 'dude' among his peers because he knows how to spin a vinyl.
Vinyl, among other things, connects me to my past. And teaches me to slow down. Teaches me to develop an eye for details. That good things come to those who wait. You need not rush into it and repent later. Take baby steps. It's a very deep ocean.

It’s interesting to see the kind of people who own vinyl set ups.
Hey! That's me :D
In the 2+ years since I had that setup, I've upgraded TT, cart and preamp and more than doubled my record collection - stands at about 400 right now with a mix of OG records from the 60s, 70s, 80s and new reissues! That should give some indication of how vinyl and TT sales are thriving in India. I'm not even close to the crazy collectors I've come to know on this forum and several groups based in India.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back