Bypass dac in audiolab 7000a with a pre-amp ?

v2kiran

Hi
my setup is currently like this:

PC --> IFI glavanic isolator ( USB ) --> Audiolab 700a (USB )

I have an ifi audio ITUBE that i am thinking of using as a pre-amp to get that tube sound.
I am guessing that in order to use the Itube i would need to introduce a separate dac into the mix so that i connect the pc to the dac and then dac to Itube and itube to 7000a via RCA.

If I do this will the dac in the 7000a still be used?

I am a bit confused about the pre-power mode that is available in the 7000a.

One word, don't!

With Audiolab in power mode you won't be able to use the DAC.
Not only that, but where Audiolab 7000a shines is as a all in one unit.

I have used it extensively, I would leave as it is and use the way you are using it right now.

thanks Amrut for the reply, so in theory you are saying that we could use an external dac and use the audiolab just as a power amp.
I am just asking for clarification so that i understand the different modes the audiolab works in.

Hi
my setup is currently like this:

PC --> IFI glavanic isolator ( USB ) --> Audiolab 700a (USB )

I have an ifi audio ITUBE that i am thinking of using as a pre-amp to get that tube sound.
I am guessing that in order to use the Itube i would need to introduce a separate dac into the mix so that i connect the pc to the dac and then dac to Itube and itube to 7000a via RCA.

If I do this will the dac in the 7000a still be used?

I am a bit confused about the pre-power mode that is available in the 7000a.
You can try the following:

PC --> IFI glavanic isolator ( USB ) --> Audiolab 7000a (Pre-Out) --> iTube --> Audiolab 7000a (Aux-1 Input)

You can try the following:

PC --> IFI glavanic isolator ( USB ) --> Audiolab 7000a (Pre-Out) --> iTube --> Audiolab 7000a (Aux-1 Input)
I do not think that is possible. In order to use the Audiolab as a power amp, it will have to be put in that mode, when that happens there will not be any pre out.

As for OP's idea, a couple of things to consider.

1. You will need a quality DAC to better what the Audiolab is offering, the DAC in 7000A is pretty competent, so this means a significant outlay.
2. How good is the preamp section of the iTube? Is it better than what the Audiolab offers, probably unlikely. So to add that bit of tube goodness there is a possibility you will be sacrificing more than you wish.

I do not think that is possible. In order to use the Audiolab as a power amp, it will have to be put in that mode, when that happens there will not be any pre out.
Who's saying anything about using it as a power amp? I said aux-1 in, not power amp in.

2. How good is the preamp section of the iTube? Is it better than what the Audiolab offers, probably unlikely. So to add that bit of tube goodness there is a possibility you will be sacrificing more than you wish.
He'll never know till he tries out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241005_173527_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241005_173527_Chrome.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 10
@DB1989 - thanks for the suggestion . this will be a fun experiment to try out.

@shibashis - I understand your points ( very valid ) ...i am just trying various things to gain more understanding of the setup and different modes of operation.

thanks Amrut for the reply, so in theory you are saying that we could use an external dac and use the audiolab just as a power amp.
I am just asking for clarification so that i understand the different modes the audiolab works in.
Yes, that is how Pre-PWR mode on the Audiolab works. I've got my 6000A setup this way (power amp only) and from a quick review of the manual on the 7000A it looks to be the same.

You won't have volume control on the Audiolab in Pre-PWR mode and will have to rely on your Pre or DAC for volume control. The Audiolab DAC is pretty good so, as the other FM's have pointed out, if your DAC is does not measure up to the Audiolab's DAC you are losing out.

Who's saying anything about using it as a power amp? I said aux-1 in, not power amp in.
But even then will it work? Assuming you are going from the PC to the USB in of the Audiolab, then the USB in is your source for the Audiolab, you can not then channel the pre-out to one of the analogue inputs and select that as the source.

But even then will it work? Assuming you are going from the PC to the USB in of the Audiolab, then the USB in is your source for the Audiolab, you can not then channel the pre-out to one of the analogue inputs and select that as the source.
Hmmm. I see what you mean. You're correct. @v2kiran drop the idea, it won't work.

Hi @shibashis - would this work:
PC --> DAC --> preamp --> Audiolab Aux In -- > AudioLab --> speakers

Audiolab mode --> pre-power

if not perhaps you could help me out with the config that would work.

Ah I see :) …I saw that manual but wasn’t sure because the input said power.

thanks for confirming @jsmithe .
Yeah, it is a bit confusing since it says Power on the top of the amp. in the diagram and Input below.

It's still better than the 6000A manual that just says Power. Go figure. :-(

Anyway, looks like IAG Group is working on improving their manual creation skills.

Hi @shibashis - would this work:
PC --> DAC --> preamp --> Audiolab Aux In -- > AudioLab --> speakers

Audiolab mode --> pre-power

if not perhaps you could help me out with the config that would work.
You have your answer, @jsmithe has guided you in the right direction.
It will be interesting to know what you find out between the two chains, do report back how it sounds compared to just the Audiolab in integrated mode. I would caution you against jumping to conclusions quickly, listen to the tube in chain for a good while and then go back to the Audiolab, if you feel you missed the Audiolab then you know that is the winner!

After years of experimenting on pairing with a tube preamp (Lyrita), using the digital pre of my streamer-DAC (CXN), and using a passive pre to control volume (Schitt Sys), I concluded that the integrated mode of my Audiolab 8200A sounded the best to my ears - unboosted and musical. Perhaps due to my own shift in what I was seeking from my audio - from wanting to be dazzled by the sound to be able to just enjoy the music. I am now inclined to believe that the engineers designing the amp knew what they were doing, thereby resulting in a synergy between the pre and the power sections. There sure must be the advantages of separating power supplies, transformers etc across the pre and power, but then I’d rather move up to a preamp and power amp from a same brand/series, intended to work together by design.

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back