Check SP Wires Problem in Pioneer VSX 1131

pranjandas

My AVR is just 1.5 years old. Everything was working fine until the last few days. The AVR behaves erratically, it auto shuts down and AVR enters "Amp Diag Mode" after checking every channel of speakers, it finally shows "Check SP Wire". I read in the forums it could be due to shorting of speaker wires or speaker wires touching the chassis on the back side.

I disconnected all speakers cables to check if AVR is okay, only speaker cables have shorted somewhere. Even while all speaker wires disconnected, the problem of auto shutdown, entering amp diag mode and finally the message of "Check SP Wire" does not go.

I am worried what to do. Can anybody throw some light how to get it fixed. As a last resort, of course, sending the unit to a service center is there.

Thanks in advance.

Trust you have removed all cables including HDMI/RCA/Speaker/usb cables.. except power cable?

If you face same issue after restart all cables removed condition ,may be u can try reset once.

If the same issue still persist it is clear your power amp IC/Transistor is short internally .IMHO

Hi, thanks for your reply. Tried reset too (While holding direct button switching on power button), still problem still persists.

Can you let me know how much it would cost in getting IC/Transistor replaced, else would doing research for buying a new AVR.

Tried reset too (While holding direct button switching on power button), still problem still persists.

Can you let me know how much it would cost in getting IC/Transistor replaced, else would doing research for buying a new AVR.

1131 is not even 2 yrs old.. Take it to authorized service center if within warranty.. Else try with a local technician who fixes AVR issues, to identify issue in first-place.. If it cost too much, then you can consider replacing the AVR..

Took it to the authorized service center named Sapphire Electronics (Which is incidentally also the authorized service centers for Yamaha.

I was told there is a problem with power amp in the AVR, when asked how it could have happened, was told most probably one of your channel speakers have shorted which has led to problem in AVR too.

Since out of warranty (standard warranty is for 1 year only; the unit was purchased in Jan 2017), approximate charges for repair quoted by them is around 4k. Now after I get the AVR I should not take chances to connect same speaker again. How to know which speaker or speaker wire has shorted?

@elangoas please help.

Took it to the authorized service center named Sapphire Electronics (Which is incidentally also the authorized service centers for Yamaha.

I was told there is a problem with power amp in the AVR, when asked how it could have happened, was told most probably one of your channel speakers have shorted which has led to problem in AVR too.

If you have been connecting bare speaker wires to AVR & speakers, use banana plugs instead (where ever possible), which can potentially avoid these issues..

Since out of warranty (standard warranty is for 1 year only; the unit was purchased in Jan 2017), approximate charges for repair quoted by them is around 4k. Now after I get the AVR I should not take chances to connect same speaker again. How to know which speaker or speaker wire has shorted?

4K seems fine..

If you have been connecting bare speaker wires to AVR & speakers, use banana plugs instead (where ever possible), which can potentially avoid these issues..

4K seems fine..
Thanks @elangoas for your prompt reply. Appreciate.

But how to confirm which of the speakers have shorted so that I replace the same with a new one and avoid same problem again in the AVR?

Thanks @elangoas for your prompt reply. Appreciate.

But how to confirm which of the speakers have shorted so that I replace the same with a new one and avoid same problem again in the AVR?

Since you have would have already unplugged all the wires from AVR speaker terminals, you cannot be sure if it happened in AVR (or) in the speaker.. Anyways, before removing the wires from each speaker, observe if any strand was touching the other.. If the strands were not touching in any speaker, then it must have happened in the AVR speaker terminals..

For all wires that you plug in to AVR speaker terminals you should be able to use the Banana plugs.. For speakers which has some room from the wall, you should be able to attach plugs.. Wherever it is wall mounted, just make sure the strands are fairly twisted and not straying once tightened..

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back