Confused - Lamp or LED - To 3D or not to 3D

Taken any decision yet ? I am also in the same boat and pretty confused.Also looking at LG PB60G.

Well, yes, decision taken and projector bought. Jumped into projector wagon with Acer H5370BD. A decent buy at 400 USD.

Have just reached back India and yet to open and set it up. Thanks to all my fellow HFVians.

As I said the usage is going to be highly in a makeshift environment so the moment I set it up, will post images and my own impressions of the device.

Well, yes, decision taken and projector bought. Jumped into projector wagon with Acer H5370BD. A decent buy at 400 USD.

Have just reached back India and yet to open and set it up. Thanks to all my fellow HFVians.

As I said the usage is going to be highly in a makeshift environment so the moment I set it up, will post images and my own impressions of the device.

Congrats ! Looking forward to your review. I might also get it next month.

Thanks k2max6,

A quick update, projected it on a plain wall ( a small area spared of any frames, hangings and almirahs) and ran few video shots - well for a first time PJ owner - it was just breathtaking.

Last edited:
wow jsanand, that sounds so exciting, my PJ will reach me only during the 2nd week of July. I am waiting for your review and pics as I have also brought the same from egg.

Post the pics soon... can't wait :)

Will surely try and put the pics up in a day or max 2.

Quick 3D update. Have a core 2 duo laptop and with almost no know how on how to run 3D movies, tried my hands on couple of them to run them in Stereoscopic player with default viewing mode set as DLP 3D ready - connected this with the PJ at 120 Hz and switched on the 3D at AUTO. Next step was to charge and activate SainSonic 3D Active Shutter glasses (had picked them from Amazon link). Ended up with big disappointment as I was not able to experience any 3D content.

Next try was
1. Download a sample HSBS (Half Side By Side) Demo Video from the net
2. Launch it VLC Player
3. Connect the computer in standard 60Hz frequency
4. Switch on 3D mode on the projector
5. Set the 3D format to Half Side by Side
6. Get the 3D glasses on

Voila! Amazing 3D experience. On a small bedroom wall, experienced the immersive world with fishes floating all around...the experience was like - :ohyeah:

So the projector is 3D enabled for sure and not just 3D ready...this should rest some apprehensions raised by prospective buyers.

Watched some opening sequences of Avatar in 2D and again - :ohyeah:

Will surely try and put the pics up in a day or max 2.

Quick 3D update. Have a core 2 duo laptop and with almost no know how on how to run 3D movies, tried my hands on couple of them to run them in Stereoscopic player with default viewing mode set as DLP 3D ready - connected this with the PJ at 120 Hz and switched on the 3D at AUTO. Next step was to charge and activate SainSonic 3D Active Shutter glasses (had picked them from Amazon link). Ended up with big disappointment as I was not able to experience any 3D content.

Next try was
1. Download a sample HSBS (Half Side By Side) Demo Video from the net
2. Launch it VLC Player
3. Connect the computer in standard 60Hz frequency
4. Switch on 3D mode on the projector
5. Set the 3D format to Half Side by Side
6. Get the 3D glasses on

Voila! Amazing 3D experience. On a small bedroom wall, experienced the immersive world with fishes floating all around...the experience was like - :ohyeah:

So the projector is 3D enabled for sure and not just 3D ready...this should rest some apprehensions raised by prospective buyers.

Watched some opening sequences of Avatar in 2D and again - :ohyeah:

I am in the same boat as you. I'm getting this from the states and do not have a dedicated HT room. It would be used in a 13X10 Ft room and would not be mounted.

A detailed explanation of how you set it up along with sound output etc would be appreciated as I plan to use it to watch movies on the weekends.

Not till now. May be I am not sensitive to it or just overwhelmed with a 85" image. Just working on helping my kid finish his holiday homework ;) given schools open tomorrow. Hope to click some pics tonight.

How is the kids and your family enjoying it? have any one observed the RBE? If they haven't better don't tell them about it, if you know something like that exists, then you may start searching for it :)

Waiting for the pics...

Taken any decision yet ? I am also in the same boat and pretty confused.Also looking at LG PB60G.

Hi,

Please wait for 1 more month and we should most likely be getting the LG 75U series LED projector here.

My friend recently brought this from US and I had tested this for 2 days, this Projector was really amazing. Played all the formats, 3D though Active was superb and for a WXGA projector the clarity was simply superb.

I have literally stopped watching movies on my LG 47LM7600 TV as it appears very small now:mad:

This weekend visited few shops and tried different other projectors like Benq W1070 and another one from Casio LED projector but nothing were equivalent to this LG LED 75U model.

Spoke to 2 LG best shoppe dealers and were told that this will be out here in one month.

Currently this sells in Amazon.com for $649 but the shipping and import fees takes the total beyond $900 which kills this products VFM.

Hi,

Please wait for 1 more month and we should most likely be getting the LG 75U series LED projector here.

Seems nice , but i have lost confidence in LG now. Hardly any dealers keep it. I looked at LG PA70G and its hardly available anywhere, i could find only one LG Shoppe who sells it and were ready to give the demo. But when i went there (30kms from my place), the demo was given with all lights on,projector fixed on a short throw pj mount, projecting a 40" image. I asked them to give me a demo at my home(i was ready to pay demo charges if any) or maybe remove the projector and show me atleast 80-90" on some other wall. But NO,they were least bothered to sell it and calmly said "We can arrange for a demo if you insist; after you purchase it" and the tone was like they were doing a me huge favor.

That made me realize that LG is not at all serious in selling it so why should I be ?

LG LED Pj's are truly abandoned children as quoted above.
I am most probably going in Epson TW-480. :D

Last edited:
Hello jsanand, please post your PJ experience and the pictures. Been checking this thread multiple times a day for your update...

LG LED Pj's are truly abandoned children as quoted above.
I am most probably going in Epson TW-480. :D

Why not spend few bucks extra and go for Epson TW-550.......its always good to have 3D and not use it then to want it and not have it.
plus its has more lumens to

i m waiting myself to buy it.....ek ek paisa jood raha hoon:D

But why spend extra and get no 3D? the last 1 year has been real good for 3D and it will continue to grow, don't repent later...

Imagine watching a big game on 3D, it will be like stadium.

Yeah..a lot of people are recommending 3D. So TW-550 it is :D
But i am still confused :sad:

I have heard the 3LCD is not sharp as DLP, but is the difference so much that i should not buy the Epson 550. Have heard positive reviews for the 550 from everyone.

Although its a never ending debate but is DLP really much sharper than epson 3LCD. Demos are not available anywhere so i have to decide from reviews only.
What say ?

Hello jsanand, please post your PJ experience and the pictures. Been checking this thread multiple times a day for your update...

Just finished clicking the pics...writing my impressions post in few mins and uploading them. Sorry for the delay.

I have almost finalized the Epson TW-550 but this DLP vs LCD topic is making me nuts.
Majority of reviews highlight that DLP is better for Movies but has RBE.
Can someone tell me which one to go for DLP vs LCD ?
I am considering the Benq W770ST/W750 in DLP

Epson TW-550 vs Benq W770ST?

Please help ! I want to buy this weekend .

I have almost finalized the Epson TW-550 but this DLP vs LCD topic is making me nuts.
Majority of reviews highlight that DLP is better for Movies but has RBE.
Can someone tell me which one to go for DLP vs LCD ?
I am considering the Benq W770ST/W750 in DLP

Epson TW-550 vs Benq W770ST?

Please help ! I want to buy this weekend .

If you wish to go with DLP, go with the 3 chip one else you may see the rainbow effect. But let me also say that not everyone sees it - some are more prone while others learn to ignore it. LCD does not suffer from this. Between the two technologies, there is no one superior to others. Refer to reviews on projectorcentral.com. The top ranked projector happens to be LCD, by the way.

k2max6, since you are in Gurgaon, go and visit home theater equipment shops in MGF Metropolitan mall. The shops, while focusing on only selling audio equipment, have mostly dedicated demo rooms with ceiling mounted projectors. You can go there to generally inquire about home theaters and in the process see how their projectors are performing. Do ask them the projector they are using and make a call if you want LCD or DLP.

In the end, it does not matter too much, once the thing is home you are just going to be initially blown away by the sheer size of the video experience. If you focus on locating an RBE - you are bound to find it in DLP, ditto for LCD (on its cons). So take the glass as half full, add whiskey, ice and soda into it - :cheers:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back