Do newer projectors need to shutdown correctly i.e they don't need a UPS

abishek

Got a new JVC DLA-X55 4K projector , the guy who installed it says despite what i think that the bulb problem is only in the older bulb type projector and that a ups is not need even if there is a sudden power outage nothing will happen to the projector.

As far as my understanding goes with frequent powercuts, and switching off the projector without a proper shutdown reduces the lamp life, Please advice :).

JVC DLA-X55R Home Theater Projector Review
[IMG2][/IMG2]
As per the manual
jvc.jpg

Turn off the power
Remote control: press the (D [STAND BY] button
Projector unit: press the ')/ I [STANDBY/ON] button
While the Are you sure you want to turn off? message is displayed, press the button again.
The lamp turns off, and the STANDBY/ON indicator switches from a green light to a red blinking light.
After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)
Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.
After about 60 seconds, the STAN DBY/ON indicator switches from a blinking red to a solid red light.
STAN DBY/ON blinking (red) STANDBY/ON lights up (red)
In the Cool-down mode In standby state

CAUTION
The power cannot be turned off within approximately 90 seconds after it has been turned on.
After the light goes off, the fan will run for about 60 seconds to cool down the lamp (Cool-down mode)
Do not disconnect the power cable while cooling is in progress.
The power cannot be turned on again while cooling is in progress (60 seconds).
Pull out the power plug when the unit is not to be used for a prolonged period of time.

I guess that is only applicable for LED projectors, as the lamp type definitely need time to cool down. Your instruction manual clearly says so. Dont take a risk, unless you have enough spare bulbs. By the way, you can get a good inverter + battery for around 20k. Why take a risk?

Abishek - you might be the first on this forum to own a 4K PJ (though not native), so congratulations!! Would you mind letting us know the cost, where you bought it etc?
On your specific question, most people here wouldn't dare run their projectors without a UPS. It is universally accepted that bulb based projectors need to cool down, so a proper shut down is necessary. I do not have a separate UPS for my PJ, it runs on the main UPS of my home and i haven't had any issues so far - don't even notice when the power is gone except for the AC which shuts off.

Abishek - you might be the first on this forum to own a 4K PJ (though not native), so congratulations!! Would you mind letting us know the cost, where you bought it etc?
On your specific question, most people here wouldn't dare run their projectors without a UPS. It is universally accepted that bulb based projectors need to cool down, so a proper shut down is necessary. I do not have a separate UPS for my PJ, it runs on the main UPS of my home and i haven't had any issues so far - don't even notice when the power is gone except for the AC which shuts off.
I am not sure at the exact cost it was got at since i wasn't privy to the same.
i think it is close to around 4L
Yes its is not a proper 4K and does not accept native 4K signals either
There seems to some confusion that the DLP is different from Jvc's D-ILA.
On the ups front the HT installer seems to be suggesting to use a stabilizer instead of a UPS / Inverter, already the entire HT has been setup and is being used without either. And i won't be able to get to see the HT for another month as am currently away.

Last edited:
As the user manual suggests that the projector needs to cool down for about 60 seconds-

It is a good idea to run the Projector as well as the rest of the equipment with a 10 minute standby UPS.

The reason for 10 minutes standby- is to provide sufficient time for any generator to start, in case the city supply does not turn back on and there is sufficient time for the Generator to turn on.

Recommendation on the UPS.
The Output of the UPS should be a sinewave.

The City supply or Generator should charge the batteries in the UPS and in turn the the output of the UPS should up converted to the AC supply which provides electricity to the equipment.

That way the equipment is always running off the batteries and not the city of generator supply. This way surges and spikes in the electricity are reduced.

If you have inverter power backup in your setup, it will be enough. No need to additionally go for UPS.

I guess an 850VA inverter will do, but I remember reading some forums that 1KVA is better. Anyway, if you can invest this much, why not on an inverter + stabilizer ?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back