Full Rangers

Please do not call them FR, call them Wide banders. Knowingly, do not write or speak wrong things if you believe in science and its way of delivering definitions a accurately and truthfully as possible.

I myself use a few wide banders and am happy about their performances and limitations.

Let's continue with the topic now on.

are you denying the existence such a word exists? Isn't it one and the same thing? Why are you so stuck on this.. how bout this FR = WB

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-38-15-713_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-38-15-713_com.android.chrome.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 66
  • Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-38-47-238_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-38-47-238_com.android.chrome.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-39-30-720_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2024-07-12-09-39-30-720_com.android.chrome.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 51
My reconed woofers rolloff with a peak at 300hz. I am currently using a reconed fostex FE166en from 300hz to 3khz. After that a Selinium CD. I may plan to use the Fostex 206En I place of the 6 inches. This driver rollloff around 200hz. As this will be used in an OB I will not be looking for anything below 300hz from it. The fostex midrange tone sounds very nice and if left uncultured shall excel.

are you denying the existence such a word exists? Isn't it one and the same thing? Why are you so stuck on this.. how bout this FR = WB
I think @Sumanta is only pointing out the limitation of using the term “full range” in the context of a single driver that can reproduce a even audible response over the full human hearing range (20-20kHz).

I think we can all agree that Physics and the limits of engineering makes it impossible for any single driver (in a ported, or sealed or OB) to produce a flat frequency response across the 20-20kHz spectrum. Reproduction of a 25hz note while at the same time a 18000hz note (and several other frequencies (as in many music) is a tough ask for any magnet or cone material (Distortion is usually the result)

Many come reasonably close but fall off before reaching one end or both ends of the spectrum. Hence augmentation with a super tweeter or a Sub woofer or both is common.

But those of use who love single driver speakers are in love with the immediacy and musical coherence of what a well engineered and designed pair of such speakers bring to our experience of music.

Which brings us nicely and logically to the popularity of putting the tweeter inside the woofer to get the point source coherence and timing right while covering the whole spectrum better. But a crossover is usually part of such designs. I think Tannoy innovated this over a century ago.

So maybe we can settle with “Full range signal” powering a single driver that reproduces a large and satisfying range of the audible spectrum ?

All I am saying is such a wrongly defined word exists. Just like Postpone word exists in our use but is not there in dictionary, similarly Full range driver does not exist but the phrase definitely exists.
Thank you @Analogous for putting it so nicely.

I think @Sumanta is only pointing out the limitation of using the term “full range” in the context of a single driver that can reproduce a even audible response over the full human hearing range (20-20kHz).

I think we can all agree that Physics and the limits of engineering makes it impossible for any single driver (in a ported, or sealed or OB) to produce a flat frequency response across the 20-20kHz spectrum. Reproduction of a 25hz note while at the same time a 18000hz note (and several other frequencies (as in many music) is a tough ask for any magnet or cone material (Distortion is usually the result)

Many come reasonably close but fall off before reaching one end or both ends of the spectrum. Hence augmentation with a super tweeter or a Sub woofer or both is common.

But those of use who love single driver speakers are in love with the immediacy and musical coherence of what a well engineered and designed pair of such speakers bring to our experience of music.

Which brings us nicely and logically to the popularity of putting the tweeter inside the woofer to get the point source coherence and timing right while covering the whole spectrum better. But a crossover is usually part of such designs. I think Tannoy innovated this over a century ago.

So maybe we can settle with “Full range signal” powering a single driver that reproduces a large and satisfying range of the audible spectrum ?
I have made one such co-axial driver speaker and am in love with its presentation of music.
Picsart_22-11-02_14-44-50-125.jpg

Last edited:
I am using 8 inch FR=WB (whatever anyone wants to call them) in a 4.5m horn.. very happy with them.
Tang band w8-1772.

Also using a Sub with them. but even without the Sub, they are impressive. (A big Horn helps)

8 inch was my happy medium. Smaller ones didn't have any substance / dynamics, and larger ones (at least the ones I could afford) were not fast enough.
cabinet for 8 inches also fitted well into my space requirements.

these play well with a fleawatt chinese tube amp as well as solid state Class -a
and not a one trick pony... these are my mains for TV, and my music system.

Attachments

I am using 8 inch FR=WB (whatever anyone wants to call them) in a 4.5m horn.. very happy with them.
Tang band w8-1772.
How does this compare with Tang Band W8-1808? Also a 8" driver. Any experiences?

Tang band w8-1772.

Also using a Sub with them. but even without the Sub, they are impressive. (A big Horn helps)

8 inch was my happy medium. Smaller ones didn't have any substance / dynamics, and larger ones (at least the ones I could afford) were not fast enough.
cabinet for 8 inches also fitted well into my space requirements.

these play well with a fleawatt chinese tube amp as well as solid state Class -a
and not a one trick pony... these are my mains for TV, and my music system.
A photograph of your system (specially those speakers) would be a warm view for us all. Horn speakers are speacial.

How does this compare with Tang Band W8-1808? Also a 8" driver. Any experiences?
Sorry no experience with that model.
A photograph of your system (specially those speakers) would be a warm view for us all. Horn speakers are speacial.
`here are couple of pics.. took me some time to make these, as I didn’t have any woodworking skills when `I started this.
`been quietly enjoying these. Mostly with an iPad directly connected or streaming through TV.

If anyone is interested in my build journey, u can see the details on

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 26
  • _attachments_20211024_133252-2-jpg.63686_.jpeg
    _attachments_20211024_133252-2-jpg.63686_.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited by a moderator:
The term full range came into vogue somewhere around the 1950s when recorded or transmitted music did not have much (if any) information bellow 40 Hz or above 15KHz. There were some exceptions but this was the majority case and some drivers did cover this whole frequency band. For example , the Philips AD5200m that had a resonant frequency of 45 Hz and went up till 17K.
These are superb drivers , I own a pair and there is a topic somewhere on this forum about them. I would suggest the OP to look out for them as they were imported here.
The SB acoustic driver also seems interesting. They incorporate an important Philips feature that I had also built in my custom drivers, I. e. a copper sleeve on the pole piece. This leads to a flatter impedance curve being presented to the driving amp. Scan Speak had copied this Philips feature.

Regards to all

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240819-210540.png
    Screenshot_20240819-210540.png
    533.3 KB · Views: 17
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back