Good music system

bose

Hello everyone.

Its a very nice group. People are very knowledgeable. This is my first post. So pls ignore my mistakes. I use a sony music system and also a bose music dock. But I want better than that. I would like to buy a good music system. I can spend between 1 to 2 lakh. I can buy in India or Dubai. What are your suggestions?

Thanks.

Thing is what kind of sound do you like.
Thats the key question when we enter true hi-fi territory.

Since the system is assembled, the final sound output is configurable.
And at this level, we have choice in the matter.
I mean when you buy sony/bose, you are letting them decide whats best at a price point.
But in assembling, you decide, you answer that question.
But for that one has to demo various systems for some time and find out what one likes/whats available.

Your budget is good to start with. What type of music do you listen to?
What is your choice of sound signature? Have you listened to any nice stereo setup that you liked?

You are from Delhi, so try and get in touch with other members over there and listened to their systems. Try to know your type of sound before buying anyhing.

PS - Are you open to buy used item within that budget?

Do some research into these
marantz cd5005
marantz pm 6005(or higher models)
q accoustics concept 40
svs sb 1000
also jbl studio 530 if you have budget

Thanks everyone for the advices. About my choice of music. I listen to both Indian and western music. Nothing classical and stuff just mainstream music. I dont need too much bass nor do I listen very loud.

A friend of mine who has a good music system told me to spend approximately one lakh each on speakers and amp to start with. I think it makes sense to purchase things one by one rather than at one go. I am planning to buy an amp first. Speakers after I have more cash. So I will focus on the amp part now.

Can you advise me about best VFM amps? Budget around 1 lakh.

Hi,

Speaker defines the characteristics of the sound. The signature of the sound. So, generally people starts with the speaker they like and then finds a matching amp that will drive those speaker effortlessly. No hard and fast rule, but a general thumb rule. Think about it.

Last edited:
I know what you mean. The problem is if I buy the speaker first I have nothing to play them with. But if I get the amp first I can use it with whatever speaker I have currently.

I think that a case can be made for the *role* of individual components in the chain.
What I mean is that an amp does a known number of things to the sound (not fully known but well understood by experts). So does a speaker.

I agree with Mr. koushik that starting with speakers is a good idea, but if Mr. bose wants to go with the amp first, then he can; provided that he studies the effect of amp on sound and then listens/demos the various amps in the market and picks the one he likes. (In case you do that, please share your experience as it will help us learn something as well from you instead of just sharing with you what we know).

What I can tell are some starting points in that direction:
- There are classes of amps by technology used - Class A , AB, D & T. Class A being most organic & T being least natural. (Debaters will contest this but I have heard the difference and I know that along with the toroidal transformer, it does make a clear difference).
In my opinion, if you have such a budget, then you can aim to go for the next higher technology i.e. jump from Class D to AB or even to Class A.
That would make the most difference instead of buying the same tech from a better brand.

- The second thing of course, is buying a better implementation of the Class of amp (which is more fundamental) i.e you can buy from a reputed brand. If not the best then maybe medium.
What I mean is that suppose you choose to upgrade to Class A amp. Clearly, a medium grade implementation of Class A is going to be better than a reasonably high-end implementation of Class AB.

One medium end value for money brand that I know of is emotiva.
This one seems to be their lower end model.
And this seems to be its higher version.

They are monoblocks. So you will need two of these. One for each channel.
If you find Class A integrated amps in that price range, then let us know abt them !

One higher end I know would be Nelson Pass. Maybe Burmeister also?

Enjoy the journey !

Last edited:
Koushik, you have a valid point. Let us see if can do it the other way round.

Humblebee, thanks for detailed advice. I will see what I can share about what I learn.

In the meantime if some people can share their knowledge about amps costing about 1 lakh it would help.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back