Headphone/IEM?

AVcrazy

I'm looking to build a portable rig. I already have a Audinst HUD-mx1 and a Fiio E17.
With my android mobile as a transport and the UAPP as the player; I want to buy a headphone/IEM that should suit my following needs:

1. Good Imaging
2. Clean and uncoloured Sound
3. Wide soundstage
4. Should be relatively portable
5. This would be used at home for majority of the time but still I would like something with decent noise isolation (no open back headphones please).

I have previously owned quite a few Headphones/IEMs: Vsonic VSD1S, Vsonic GR06, Sony MDR-ZX700, Sony MDR-XB1000, Klipsch R6i, etc.

Among these my favourite was the GR06 and the ZX700. This time I want to go for something more nuanced than my previous choices.

My major dilemma is the Headphone vs IEM question. I like both the designs but slightly inclined towards the IEMs. I'm ready to live with either if it best meets my above mentioned criteria.
Considering the above what should I look at? Budget upto 12k.

I'm looking to build a portable rig. I already have a Audinst HUD-mx1 and a Fiio E17.
With my android mobile as a transport and the UAPP as the player; I want to buy a headphone/IEM that should suit my following needs:

1. Good Imaging
2. Clean and uncoloured Sound
3. Wide soundstage
4. Should be relatively portable
5. This would be used at home for majority of the time but still I would like something with decent noise isolation (no open back headphones please).

I have previously owned quite a few Headphones/IEMs: Vsonic VSD1S, Vsonic GR06, Sony MDR-ZX700, Sony MDR-XB1000, Klipsch R6i, etc.

Among these my favourite was the GR06 and the ZX700. This time I want to go for something more nuanced than my previous choices.

My major dilemma is the Headphone vs IEM question. I like both the designs but slightly inclined towards the IEMs. I'm ready to live with either if it best meets my above mentioned criteria.
Considering the above what should I look at? Budget upto 12k.

I will suggest, go for IEM, a decent headphone will cost more than 30K.
But IEM is less expensive, and headphonezone has so many varieties.

By the way i am an earbud fan, so i buy only earbuds from aliexpress.

I have a pair of RHA T20s. They are amazing. I got them for 18k. They have interchangeable filters, so you can customize your sound. It's built fantastically, has great midrange separation, accurate bass response and wonderful clarity in the highs.

If ur looking for over-ear headphones, then i would suggest the Audio-Technica ATH-M50. If u can spend a little bit more than go for the Audio Technica ATH-M70x

if ur budget is 12k. try looking at the RHA T10 or Bowers & Wilkins C5 Series 2. Another option is Beyerdynamic DX160 iE, they are cheaper and sound great

Thank you all for the suggestions! Really appreciate it :)

Now the thing is that I don't wanna source my headphones from the US or abroad as I'm looking for good service and warranty coverage. So as far as my choices go I'm pretty much limited to Amazon, headphone zone, etc.

So I searched extensively yesterday and I guess I've narrowed my choices down to two:
Choice 1: The Audio technica ath-im70
Choice 2: The Brainwavz HM5 Studio Monitor.

These two seem to check most boxes and appear to be available at quite a steal at their current market prices. Both also seem to be very well regarded by owners and enthusiasts alike.
This reminds me of my previous favourites the VSonic GR06 and the Sony MDR-ZX700. I loved the GR06 for its precision and imaging and the ZX700 for its natural timber and tonality (making it great for critical listening). However as it has been significant time since I had them I can't seem to mentally compare the two from my past experiences. What I mean to say is I'm not able to decide whether I liked the IEM or the Headphone more.
Anyway, regardless of this, what do you guys suggest? I'm a detail freak and I would also like good imaging (that out of the head experience I had with the GR06). Which one should I go for?

If this saves you any time I have searched quite extensively yesterday and there is no other IEM/headphone which gives the same price-to-performance ratio as the ATH-IM70 and the HM5. The only exceptions being the Xiaomi Hybrid (currently not released in India; slightly behind in SQ but heck it just costs 1k!) and the Fidue A73 (it's also hybrid with good dynamics and slightly better detail than the IM70 but it costs almost double the IM70 and doesn't have a good service support base in india; being sold by a reseller).
Another lucrative option as pointed out by other FM's is the RHA T10 which I've listened to quite extensively, having borrowed it from a friend. While it does have a very pleasing warm sound, it is extremely bassy to my ears (esp for critical listening) and doesn't quite get the imaging right. It is retailing for about 13k these days but since an option like the IM70 exists at half the cost I'm not inclined to either buy or recommend it.
BTW, these were the candidates that I looked at: ATH-M50x, Sony MDR7506, VSonic GR07 BE, RHA M850, Sennheiser Momentum IE, Fidue a71, Hifiman RE400, JVC FXT90, etc.

So finally: Headphone or IEM? Or IM70 or the HM5? Anyone have any experience with these?

I own IM70. And I must say it is one of the best IEM in its' price range. I replaced the stock tips with SPinFit eartips and it's sounding awesome.
Currently I'm using it with my Astell & Kern Jr.
My next target is Trinity audio phantom master earphone.

Guys finally bought neither and instead went for the much cheaper Xiaomi hybrids. I know they might not be much against any of the above but at their price I don't think I will be getting anything better.
I'm saving the money for an amp upgrade.
Anyway. Thanks for the opinions! :D
I'll be reviewing the hybrids in a separate thread.

Thank you all for the suggestions! Really appreciate it :)

Now the thing is that I don't wanna source my headphones from the US or abroad as I'm looking for good service and warranty coverage. So as far as my choices go I'm pretty much limited to Amazon, headphone zone, etc.

So I searched extensively yesterday and I guess I've narrowed my choices down to two:
Choice 1: The Audio technica ath-im70
Choice 2: The Brainwavz HM5 Studio Monitor.

These two seem to check most boxes and appear to be available at quite a steal at their current market prices. Both also seem to be very well regarded by owners and enthusiasts alike.
This reminds me of my previous favourites the VSonic GR06 and the Sony MDR-ZX700. I loved the GR06 for its precision and imaging and the ZX700 for its natural timber and tonality (making it great for critical listening). However as it has been significant time since I had them I can't seem to mentally compare the two from my past experiences. What I mean to say is I'm not able to decide whether I liked the IEM or the Headphone more.
Anyway, regardless of this, what do you guys suggest? I'm a detail freak and I would also like good imaging (that out of the head experience I had with the GR06). Which one should I go for?

If this saves you any time I have searched quite extensively yesterday and there is no other IEM/headphone which gives the same price-to-performance ratio as the ATH-IM70 and the HM5. The only exceptions being the Xiaomi Hybrid (currently not released in India; slightly behind in SQ but heck it just costs 1k!) and the Fidue A73 (it's also hybrid with good dynamics and slightly better detail than the IM70 but it costs almost double the IM70 and doesn't have a good service support base in india; being sold by a reseller).
Another lucrative option as pointed out by other FM's is the RHA T10 which I've listened to quite extensively, having borrowed it from a friend. While it does have a very pleasing warm sound, it is extremely bassy to my ears (esp for critical listening) and doesn't quite get the imaging right. It is retailing for about 13k these days but since an option like the IM70 exists at half the cost I'm not inclined to either buy or recommend it.
BTW, these were the candidates that I looked at: ATH-M50x, Sony MDR7506, VSonic GR07 BE, RHA M850, Sennheiser Momentum IE, Fidue a71, Hifiman RE400, JVC FXT90, etc.

So finally: Headphone or IEM? Or IM70 or the HM5? Anyone have any experience with these?

I read your last comment and i know you made your decision but just an update since i came across your thread.

Dont get the hm5. Yes they are neutral but are equally dull. Cannot for sure be a primary gear.
Look our for the brainwavz m2 or m3. Really good all rounders and tick all your needs. During sale they go @ 25-30% cheap.

Dull? Hmmm. That's a interesting observation. I read on forums that they were slightly bass lite.
Do you own them? What gear are you using?

Yup, own em. They are not bass light at all. Me and a few people had bought it together when it was first launched and had written our impressions on another forum.
Have been using them with, sanza clip, cowon s9, ipod classic, have an e07 and e17 amp and off my yamaha 671 and 473 avr.

They are pretty easy to drive but they are just not fun to listen to. If you have other gear on you, i guarantee you will switch to them.

They do everything right, but they just aint fun. The SS is completely neutral.

Hmmm. Seems likely as they are being sold as monitors after all. Although on a side note, the flat response was the reason I was buying them in the first place.
Now I've heard that the xiaomis are not flat at all (esp when compared to their predecessor: piston 3), which is bugging me a little as I don't like bassy or sharp headphones. But I'll hold that sentiment until I get them.
I guess pricing is key here. I wouldn't mind taking the xiaomis with me anywhere. Heck I'll put em in my pocket too! Would I do this with 15k IEMs? Maybe not. But this is just subjective opinion.
I currently want to upgrade my stereo amp. This monsoon I'm gonna sip tea with better sounding Coltrane.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back