Help me to select between these 2 AVR and suggest speakers!!!

Raghav_K

Hi,

Been browsing this forum for 2 days to gather info, and now posting this!!

So i'm now looking to set up a hi-fi system, after being inspired by my uncle's Yamaha RX V 620 + Bose Direct Reflecting Speakers 2nd Gen ( 8+ years old)

I already own a 46inch samsung LED, Tata sky plus DTH, and i have a NAS streaming movies and music to devices in my home via wifi! And i will be connecting my laptop to AVR for blu ray discs playing, until i buy a blu ray player!

Planning to set this up in a hall, of size 20 * 12 feet approx (pic below)

I'm planning to get the AVR and 2 front speakers initially for a budget of 80,000 and then follow it with centre, sub and surrounds in that order.

I have zeroed in on Denon X2000 or Yamaha RX 675. Though 5.1 is probably enough for my hall, going for 7.1 just for future proofing!!

I will be watching movies 70% and music 30%. Types of music, nothing specific, Tamil songs, and pop music, weekly US top 40's list!!!

Kindly suggest me speakers for this setup, and any other ideas about AVR also welcome!!!

Also i live in chennai, so a main requirement is to buy a brand which has service center in chennai!!

Thanks a lot :)

28rcbwy.png

Last edited:
Both Yamaha and Denon are good for movies.Yamaha has better
sound marginally,but Denon has Audyssy which does room correction
better.You can get Dali zensor speakers which can match
both avr abd are musical in sound.

Thanks for your response!!

I guess i'll go with Yamaha, scared about reading denon quality issues online, and denon aka piece of crap thread here!!

Just to be clear, are these dali zensor 1 speakers??

They seem to be well within my budget!!

Other recommendations i got are wharfedale diamond 121 or qacoustics 2020i, any opinions about them??

Also can some chennai members please suggest places where i can check these out!!!

I guess i'll go with Yamaha, scared about reading denon quality issues online, and denon aka piece of crap thread here!!

Other recommendations i got are wharfedale diamond 121 or qacoustics 2020i, any opinions about them??

Also can some chennai members please suggest places where i can check these out!!!

You could also consider Onkyo as they have service center in Alwarpet....

For Wharfedale, Paradigm you can check - Grand Cinema in Kodambakkam

For PSB, DALI & High end you can check - Decibel in Chittaranjan Road (Near old ICICI Bank Ltd Cenotaph Rod)

For Polk, KEF you can check - Pro FX showroom (Mount Road)

For Cambrdige, Moduarant Short you can check near Lakshman Shtuhi muscals near Vadalapni Signal

For Monitor Audio you can check the Audio People...

Happy hunting.....

Zensor 1 is good speaker.So can be considered.Other speakers like Q acoustic are good,but price has gone up.

Have you decided between Floor Standers and Book Shelves?
Also think of the future upgrade path- I will bet that it is going to happen sooner than later for all FMs :)
Both Zensors and Q Acoustics are highly regarded VFM speakers.

@ Jagdish: well i understood that front speakers and centre channel have to be in the same brand, so i had thought of something like this for future upgrade:

if i choose dali zensor 1 now, i'll get the dali center speaker next, a subwoofer next, and then go for some other floorstanding speakers from dali zensor (zensor 5?) and shift the zensor 1 as suuround speakers!!!

if that's wrong or sounds dumb, lemme know :D

getting only bookshelves as FS for now, as only they come with my budget of 20-30k ( i think!! any good FS in that range?), will be saving up 30-40k every month for the future upgrades (and get stern looks from my wifey!!)

@elango: Nice list thanks :) will look up onkyo website now for the models!!!

@spirovious: i was under the assumption qacoustics 2020i came around 22k!!

@ Jagdish: well i understood that front speakers and centre channel have to be in the same brand, so i had thought of something like this for future upgrade:

if i choose dali zensor 1 now, i'll get the dali center speaker next, a subwoofer next, and then go for some other floorstanding speakers from dali zensor (zensor 5?) and shift the zensor 1 as suuround speakers!!!

if that's wrong or sounds dumb, lemme know :D

getting only bookshelves as FS for now, as only they come with my budget of 20-30k ( i think!! any good FS in that range?), will be saving up 30-40k every month for the future upgrades (and get stern looks from my wifey!!)

@elango: Nice list thanks :) will look up onkyo website now for the models!!!

@spirovious: i was under the assumption qacoustics 2020i came around 22k!!

If you know someone who can help you ge this AVR from abroad like middle east / Asia (Malaysia), you would save 50% of your money.....But of course @ the risk of letting go off the warranty.... ( I got my AVR like that from Kuwait & i saved 40K)

Scout for Onkyo TX NR 818... It is a brilliant AVR

@Elango: The price difference between onkyo abroad and onkyo in india is nearly double so strict no no for me. I have some relatives coming from US in march, but dont want to go using the step down converter route, and ll probably ask them to get me a ps4 instead :-(

the US price difference for denon and yamaha are somewhat bearable at 10-15k, so makes sense to get them here with warranty, and avoid using step down converters. This is assuming i'm able to get yama rx 675 for 50-52k, seeing it listed online from 53-55k!!!

Last edited:
@Elango: The price difference between onkyo abroad and onkyo in india is nearly double so strict no no for me. I have some relatives coming from US in march, but dont want to go using the step down converter route, and ll probably ask them to get me a ps4 instead :-(

the US price difference for denon and yamaha are somewhat bearable at 10-15k, so makes sense to get them here with warranty, and avoid using step down converters. This is assuming i'm able to get yama rx 675 for 50-52k, seeing it listed online from 53-55k!!!

There are dual voltage systems aval in US.... Am just given you these links as FYI......You dont need to get a step down transfomer for these models...

I havent bought anything from here... Just thought to give you links...

Yamaha | Denon | Dual Voltage Audio Video receivers, World Wide voltage 110-220 volt AV Amps

Audio Video Receivers | 220volts Audio Video Receivers | 240 volts Aud

Yup you right....Onkyo is overpriced in india.... Makes sesnse to get Yamaha (or) Denon with warranty if the price difference is not too much..

Even I would suggest you lx87.
But you can look at yamaha avrs.
The dynamics of Yamaha is simply stunning.

^ more or less zeroed in on Yamaha Rx 675, will be checking it out next week, hopefully!!!

How much is Yamaha RXV 675 price... Pioneer VSX 1123 is priced around 43K in fifimart.com which is superb price considering that it sells for $600 in US...

Consider this also to your list.. Take an audition & decide....

I have a Yamaha 673 and its awsome for both music and movies. So you can go for Yamaha 675 which is same as 673 but newer model. Yamaha has good service also. I use Mordaunt Short Mezzo speakers and its great with Yamaha. There are options for floorstanders and bookshelfs speakers in that.

Regards,
rhl

^ thanks that helps, will check out the speakers,

Elango, will add pioneer to my audition list! It does look nice n has all features!

Just a quick update!
I'm told recetnly by my friend that he went to Yamaha Service Centre @ Ritchie Street in Chennai to correct his AVR. They told it would take 2 months initially & later made that corrected after 2 weeks!!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back