HELP: Paint for Projector screen

arunsankar

Hi friends,

I have a minimal projection system installed in my 14*10 room. Initially I was projecting on the plain wall which had a creamish emulsion on to it. I decided to do a DIY painting for a screen. This is what I did.

1) Bought Satin enamel white
2) Sand papered existing paint.
3) Done a base coat by rolling a couple times.

I have done it yesterday evening and till today morning, the projection seems to have this annoying sparkles on it :mad: Its barely usable. My question is should I wait a couple days more to get the paint dry out completely to arrive at a final thought or have I did something wrong? Suggestions are always welcome.

HT Set up:

Projector : Acer X110
Screen size: 120" diagonal 16:9

go for plastic paint matt finish / in cheaper version go for distemper matt
Still wait for two days and let it dry and see if the there is a difference. As rainy season is there the walls dont dry up fast.

The latest news is that the satin finish even after 3-4 days was creating hot spots. So I scrapped the entire area and done White base coat after puttying. Now the hotspot issue is solved and I am definitely having a good watchable image.

Now, I am planning to add a bit gray to it to cut down the ambient light and to get some deeper blacks. I am planning to go for Silver Behr mix (CFCFCF). Inputs please.

if u like to paint people have innovated adding with glass bead powder . check leading HT maker forums

Yes, I've gone through them. It seems pretty interesting solution. Thing is am having a DLP 2500 Lumen projector firing a 110" screen in a small room, just 12' from Projector to wall. Its too bright even in eco mode for me. This weekend, I went for a gray paint solution. Its called "Winter moon" from asian paints which is RGB 202, 206, 208. I have done 4 coatings and the result is excellent IMO. I've never thought such vibrant saturation levels from my projector and black levels have improved drastically. I am planning to stay as it is for few month.

Yes, I've gone through them. It seems pretty . I've never thought such vibrant saturation levels from my projector and black levels have improved drastically. I am planning to stay as it is for few month.

pictures of before after should be a habit:D

This interests me as well. I would like to get my projection wall painted (instead of getting a screen). That wall has a light beige color right now. I don't exactly have a problem with that, but just feel that PQ and 3D brightness could improve with a proper paint/color.

Just sent an email to goo system's India dealer (found here). Hopefully they'd reply.

^^^

Hi Sourav,

Any update from Goo distributor in India? I am also looking at going this option. I am planning to put the paint on a plywood board attached to a wall.

Thanks,
John.

^^^

Hi Sourav,

Any update from Goo distributor in India? I am also looking at going this option. I am planning to put the paint on a plywood board attached to a wall.

Thanks,
John.

I've contacted them in my initial days of HT building. The amount they quoted for 1l of base, 1l of top and 500ml of black border was 16,000. This was after a discount of 5000INR.Later on I dropped the plan and went for this :thumbup:

Yes, but GOO is too costly for my budget :) I was getting decent performance on the existing emulsion surface, just wanted to color it white.

you are on the right track.

I did the same and it was a huge improvement on the projection screen i was using. but you may have over-engineered the paint.

satin, might mean reflective , which would lead to hot spots. lemme see if i can figure out which paint I used, it was 3-4years, ago and the "screen" wall has stood the test of time in my drawing room.

done right, with a fine roller and a a good emulsion paint, no hot spots, no distortion and pretty VFM.

just make sure that the wall totally smooth and apply putty to even out any minor irregularity. if there are major unevenness - ie an el-cheapo builder you are S-O-L.

://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_$100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/t/187165/is-projector-screen-paint-worth-it

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1149645/best-screen-paint

http://www.avsforum.com/t/662348/a-simple-screen-paint-solution

there is plenty of guidance on the net..

you won't get a brand -for brand match, but you'll figure out which type of paint and what shade combination gives the best result.

i choose un-corrected pure white (i.e not boosted with blue) since it suited my projector better.

All the best!

Last edited:
you are on the right track.

I did the same and it was a huge improvement on the projection screen i was using. but you may have over-engineered the paint.

satin, might mean reflective , which would lead to hot spots. lemme see if i can figure out which paint I used, it was 3-4years, ago and the "screen" wall has stood the test of time in my drawing room.

done right, with a fine roller and a a good emulsion paint, no hot spots, no distortion and pretty VFM.

just make sure that the wall totally smooth and apply putty to even out any minor irregularity. if there are major unevenness - ie an el-cheapo builder you are S-O-L.

Thanks friend. In fact I've completed the project some 6 months back and everything went fine. Thanks for the help again.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

Thanks friend. In fact I've completed the project some 6 months back and everything went fine. Thanks for the help again.

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Tapatalk HD

Whoops! My bad. Saw the thread, had a pov, did not read it to completion, did not check the dates.

But all's well that ends well, right?
:clapping:

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back