Home audio setup

Rythm

Hi, I'm new to this world and happy to have come here . I'm looking to setup a audio in my home ( 10' x 15' hall with good contents of glass and wood), with primary emphasis on audio. It should also connect with TV ( LED with optical out ).
My budget could range 50k to 60k, as I buildup.
What I see :
1). 2 Channel Stereo receiver.
2) Pair of floor standing speakers
3) Powered Subwoofer ( would like to feel the sound( high bass) in low volumes, rather than hear it in high decibels ).
I did some study and found that stereo receivers do not have HDMI options for connectivity. However, I would want optical audio in and a sub out on receiver, for reasons mentioned above. Would this idea help?
Request for some guidance and suggestions of makes and models within the mentioned price range. Thanks in advance.

In this price reange you would be search for used audio gear rather than new. start with elac, dali bookshelf speker or sonodyne floor speker with entry level marantz pm5005 setero amp or yahama setero receiver with polk, sonodyne sub woffer.

Hi, I'm new to this world and happy to have come here . I'm looking to setup a audio in my home ( 10' x 15' hall with good contents of glass and wood), with primary emphasis on audio. It should also connect with TV ( LED with optical out ).
My budget could range 50k to 60k, as I buildup.
What I see :
1). 2 Channel Stereo receiver.
2) Pair of floor standing speakers
3) Powered Subwoofer ( would like to feel the sound( high bass) in low volumes, rather than hear it in high decibels ).
I did some study and found that stereo receivers do not have HDMI options for connectivity. However, I would want optical audio in and a sub out on receiver, for reasons mentioned above. Would this idea help?
Request for some guidance and suggestions of makes and models within the mentioned price range. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a setup in place right now?

1. Do you have any Stereo amps in mind or heard any?
2. Which speakers? I would suggest you first pick your speakers and then look for an amp that can drive these speakers to their potential.
3. Which sub have you heard or considered? You can look at a stereo amp like NAD 326 which has Sub out. However, I would suggest a Sub with Speaker Input and Output option.
4. A DAC with digital inputs should be able to hook up all your sources.

It would help if you could research a bit and provide us with shortlisted products, from which the forum can help you pick.

Good Luck
MaSh

In this price reange you would be search for used audio gear rather than new. start with elac, dali bookshelf speker or sonodyne floor speker with entry level marantz pm5005 setero amp or yahama setero receiver with polk, sonodyne sub woffer.

This is another approach, which I can look into if it meets my requirements. Thank you.

Hi,

Welcome to the forum. Do you have a setup in place right now?

1. Do you have any Stereo amps in mind or heard any?
2. Which speakers? I would suggest you first pick your speakers and then look for an amp that can drive these speakers to their potential.
3. Which sub have you heard or considered? You can look at a stereo amp like NAD 326 which has Sub out. However, I would suggest a Sub with Speaker Input and Output option.
4. A DAC with digital inputs should be able to hook up all your sources.

It would help if you could research a bit and provide us with shortlisted products, from which the forum can help you pick.

Good Luck
MaSh

Thank you for the directions. To answer your questions :
1. Yes, I am only looking at stereo receivers, particularly from Marantz, Yamaha like R-N303D. N-602. Is this a good approach? Please suggest any other makes.
2. For speakers I had visualized Yamaha NS-8390 floor standers. I would like to add a subwoofer from Yamaha or any other compatible. Would it be good to go for a powered sub or passive sub? Need some guidance here.
3. I shall explore NAD-326. Kindly explain the benefit of having a sub with speaker input and output options?
4. Is DAC to be separately bought in case of stereo receivers? Which ones are compatible?
Looking for your feedback. Thanks

You could also look at Yamaha N 803 amp which has sub out as well as digital inputs

I shall explore N-803 receiver. Kindly suggest if you have idea about dedicated stereo receivers from other brands like Demon, Marantz. etc. Thank you.

Thank you for the directions. To answer your questions :
1. Yes, I am only looking at stereo receivers, particularly from Marantz, Yamaha like R-N303D. N-602. Is this a good approach? Please suggest any other makes.
2. For speakers I had visualized Yamaha NS-8390 floor standers. I would like to add a subwoofer from Yamaha or any other compatible. Would it be good to go for a powered sub or passive sub? Need some guidance here.
3. I shall explore NAD-326. Kindly explain the benefit of having a sub with speaker input and output options?
4. Is DAC to be separately bought in case of stereo receivers? Which ones are compatible?
Looking for your feedback. Thanks

Hey hi,

1. Yes if they have the features you need. The amp should match the signature and power requirements of the speakers.

2. In my opinion there are better speakers from Polk, Dali, QA, etc than the 8390.

3. I have NAD C320BEE which I have been using with a pair of kef towers. Really good amp series. I have experimenting with a diy amp right now, so my nad is sitting idle, might sell it.

A sub with speaker input and output eases connectivity and setting crossover for a good speaker and sub integration.

4. If the amp you choose does not have USB or digital inputs, then yes an external dac would be needed with inputs compatible with your source.

MaSh

Hey hi,

1. Yes if they have the features you need. The amp should match the signature and power requirements of the speakers.

2. In my opinion there are better speakers from Polk, Dali, QA, etc than the 8390.

3. I have NAD C320BEE which I have been using with a pair of kef towers. Really good amp series. I have experimenting with a diy amp right now, so my nad is sitting idle, might sell it.

A sub with speaker input and output eases connectivity and setting crossover for a good speaker and sub integration.

4. If the amp you choose does not have USB or digital inputs, then yes an external dac would be needed with inputs compatible with your source.

MaSh

Thank you for the insights. It will help me as I go forward.

Hi Rythm,
If you are into audio, my humble opinion, forget about the sub. Sub woofers are good only for movies. For music, they do more harm than good. Totally destroys the music. Select a speaker, search for a matching amplifier, a good source player, you have a great music set up. If you love bass, stay away from the likes of Dali. Try speakers with large drivers. Unfortunately, I am not a bass lover, so not much research done on speakers which effectively produce the lows. I think, of the brands mentioned above, the Polks may do you justice. Good luck

I was considering sub's, as I had read that they would definitely add value for the low frequency effects along with pair of BS or FS. Thanks.

I was considering sub's, as I had read that they would definitely add value for the low frequency effects along with pair of BS or FS

Ah - so I am not alone.

If you buy good FS or speakers - they'll cover for low frequencies. Polk S55, which blew me and my wife away covers as low as 32hz. A sub like of BIC Amera PL200 covers from 21hz. S55 has a top notch driver. I'd leave it to anyone's imagination for figuring those 11hz frequency gap between S55 and PL200.

When I listened S55, I didn't feel the need for a sub. But I auditioned it with just the songs and not movies. Audio that came out of S55 was so clear, strong and punchy, I didn't feel need for anything else. No surround, no sub, no atmos - nothing.

But then, if you are in a plan to expand your setup in future (which I am), I'll definitely need a sub. If I am anyway going to buy a sub in future, does it make sense for me to put so much $$ on P55? AVR will anyway cut the low frequency and route to sub whenever that gets added?

Adding a sub to your system definately improves the bass. You would feel the difference in music and movies. You could go with a pair bookshelfs and add a sub to your system instead of floorstanders. I personally use a sub even though i have a 10" driver in my F&R speakers. Its upto individual taste. Better to audition and decide.

After listening to music with a sub, with that tight and deep bass which only a sub can give, normal speakers (except the likes of elac b6) sound bland.

MaSh

Its a eye opener for me. I shall check this approach. As rightly said by you, there should be a provision for future expansion for integrating a sub. Thanks for sharing your auditioning experience.

Adding a sub to your system definately improves the bass. You would feel the difference in music and movies. You could go with a pair bookshelfs and add a sub to your system instead of floorstanders. I personally use a sub even though i have a 10" driver in my F&R speakers. Its upto individual taste. Better to audition and decide.

Yes, sound perception varies from person to person. Auditioning is the best route.

After listening to music with a sub, with that tight and deep bass which only a sub can give, normal speakers (except the likes of elac b6) sound bland.

MaSh

True....maybe the make and model also matter.

For me ,its just not the thump or punch that makes the music. I have used a 10 inch Mission powered sub for music after reading someones opinion like you did. Initially, the sound was exciting. The punch makes you say wowwww..... But when playing certain songs, the highs and mid go one way, the bass go another way. Then you adjust the cross over frequency to align the bass with the other frequency. Now the sound is ok. But when you play another genre of music, you will want to adjust the frequency again. This goes on each time you play music. And what did I do...I kicked the Mission out of my listening room. But as Rythm said, sound perception varies from person to person. I am no audiophile, but if you can talk to a true audiophile, he would join me. Anyway, you are the listener, you decide.
I hate subwoofers, hard to get it right sounding in most rooms. But, the best of the best systems I heard at the last years Munich hi end show had subwoofers. I mean two of them at the room with Anthem amp and martin logans with 2 subs, and another one with Nagra + wilson audio with subs. the Martin logan system had ML subs themselves. Dont remember what sub was with the Wilson audio. But, in both cases, I didnt notice the disjointed feel from Sub to the main, and infact the advantage was the amount of effortless low end they could push. When something like pipe organs are being played you really need that power and size to recreate the feel of a real pipe organ. But, again, unless you dont have that mega budget and treated room, its all going to be only going to be boom-boom like you said. No bass is better than bad bass.

Yeah, at stores, they play only those songs which sound good with the subs. For eg. here in my place, they always play Allan Taylor, to be precise, Colour to the moon. Slow numbers. The alignment issue I mentioned is minimum or none. But while fast numbers are played, the bass from the sub fails to catch up and the sound sucks.
Anthem, Martin Logan, Nagra, Wilson Audio etc are by far out of my reach. At the moment, can't even think of getting one of those. o_Oo_O:confused:
I too can't afford any of those. It's nice to see them at shows. But they aren't as great as these over enthusiastic reviewers say.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back