Is this hobby worth the cost

matbhuvi

As an Audiophool, you are often odd man out. Money can be spent on so many things. Money can be save for an foreseeable expensive future. But, you have decided to spend that Money where 99% of people around you can't understand and you are odd man out. How do you stand your ground.

Stopped trying to justify that why I spent so much on so many thing like a Garrard 401 (which is 50 years old already ) or why I have a such big speakers when the kid's blutooth speakers can rock the room.

Stopped explaining why I need to spend so much time fixing these old and ancient amplifiers when newer can be bought easily

And what is this thing MC step up transformer.

In short nobody would understand and worse still they will nod their heads sympethicaly which would just irk me even more.

So let it be, enjoy what you have acquired (& hoarded) and dont think anybody would ever understand..( except FMs of HFV )

I think I got carried away, let me excuse myself, I gotta try some new capacitors in my amplfier.

(they have just arrived ;) )

I work, I earn, I spend...... I don't justify. Try justifying, and everybody looks at you as if you are a fool.
When you don't justify, and are touchy when the topic is raised......People around you, don't raise the topic again.

Odd ball or not, would I change ? I guess not. But when I am lost listening to a beautiful piece.........IT'S WORTH IT, TO ME.

Well more people perhaps spend more on cars which depreciate every minute as usage time is less than 10% of ownership time and wine which goes into sewage in 3-4 hours :)

Hobby is to have fun, and one get joy out of Hifi even when you are not listening but trawling the net or on a forum thinking about your rig

Itna to banta hai.

Itna to banta hai.
Absolutely! (Also I’m glad a HFV moderator is using Hindi sentence 😛)

We’ve slogged it off since we were in schools, acing those entrance exams, slogging again to graduate well, get a job, prove ourselves, rise the corporate ladder, provide for the family… No one should grudge us for our harmless indulgence in music and audio. And likewise, we shouldn’t expect most of them to understand it. Madness is understood only by those who share it. 😊

I have heard of people spending lakhs on treatment of chronic diseases such as high BP/Stress/anxiety/heart disease and even higher on strokes/angioplasty etc. I think if one is a music lover/and even if not, a few lakhs spent on a decent music system, which is put to use daily, would reduce the risk of these expenses and divert into a more enjoyable pursuit. And it is now a scientifically proven fact, that music helps a person de -stress - stress being a silent killer. So definitely, this hobby is worth its cost many times over.
Cheers,
Sid

I have heard of people spending lakhs on treatment of chronic diseases such as high BP/Stress/anxiety/heart disease and even higher on strokes/angioplasty etc. I think if one is a music lover/and even if not, a few lakhs spent on a decent music system, which is put to use daily, would reduce the risk of these expenses and divert into a more enjoyable pursuit. And it is now a scientifically proven fact, that music helps a person de -stress - stress being a silent killer. So definitely, this hobby is worth its cost many times over.
Cheers,
Sid
I Have a theory based on this.
When money needs to out of someone, it will.
I Have seen astrologer giving ' pariharam' recomendation based on this thoery.
If you dont spend the money you have to (karma or wharever name given to it) it will find its way (jurasic park- life will find its way-its like that)
So better buy those speakers you have been oogling for long and may be you will be deemed heaven😄. The audiophile astrologer recomending you😉

I Have a theory based on this.
When money needs to out of someone, it will.
I Have seen astrologer giving ' pariharam' recomendation based on this thoery.
If you dont spend the money you have to (karma or wharever name given to it) it will find its way (jurasic park- life will find its way-its like that)
So better buy those speakers you have been oogling for long and may be you will be deemed heaven😄. The audiophile astrologer recomending you😉
Oh, I would strongly agree to this :D. I have had first hand experiences where the money saved went somewhere it should not have :D :D. Probably it was simply looking of ways to slip away!!!

Absolutely!!

But first make peace with your speakers, room and content source.

Oh... de-wax ears regularly. It may help bring a new found appreciation to what's in your home

Cheers,
Raghu

So now that I have my own sound system on the living room, with just the right signature for me, I don't like watching anything on my bedroom TV. So that needs to be upgraded as well. Similarly, I've become critical of the sound everywhere, can't enjoy shows unless it's at my place now.

Also, movie theaters are so loud, that I rarely visit and wait for it to drop on OTT.

So it's not worth the social impact 😀

As an Audiophool, you are often odd man out. Money can be spent on so many things. Money can be save for an foreseeable expensive future. But, you have decided to spend that Money where 99% of people around you can't understand and you are odd man out. How do you stand your ground.
It’s true that being an audiophile often means standing on the outskirts of what most consider practical. But isn’t that the essence of passion? The pursuit of something beyond the ordinary, where value is subjective and joy is immeasurable? While others invest in the tangible—saving for security or spending on the predictable—we invest in experiences that stir the soul. Sound is a dimension few truly understand, yet for those who do, it’s worth every penny. Standing your ground means recognizing that the worth of something isn’t in its utility for the masses, but in the resonance it creates within you.

At the end of the day, when you listen to your system does it make you happy and give you goosebumps from excitement when you play your favourite new music? If yes, it is worth it.

We’ve slogged it off since we were in schools, acing those entrance exams, slogging again to graduate well, get a job, prove ourselves, rise the corporate ladder, provide for the family…
I did none of the above bar maybe 2 ...
And the below quoted still applies to me:
No one should grudge us for our harmless indulgence in music and audio.

Money can be spent on so many things.
Audio is one of those many things.
Money can be save for an foreseeable expensive future. But, you have decided to spend that Money where 99% of people around you can't understand and you are odd man out.
If one is not saving and instead only spending (and not just on audio) then remove the "Audio" out of "Audiophool". One may not realize the impact it may have now but realization will hit eventually - I just hope it doesn't hit too hard like it often does.
How do you stand your ground.
Balance! If it comes to a point where those that matter to you start getting affected by any healthy or unhealthy pursuit, no matter how much your foot taps or skin breaks out - one needs to take steps back. Only you can determine if you've reached that point.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back