Isolation for floorstanders. Cork Blocks and yoga mat sandwich

Rastapopulus

Hi
Am stepping into the complicated area of isolating speakers from the floor below and wanted to isolate my floorstanders from the wooden floor below.

I was reading and found folks use yoga blocks under bookshelf speakers for isolation from the shelf or otherwise.

I have also tried isolation on my bookshelf speakers and subwoofers and works.

Subwoofer - I used two half inch thick simple yoga MATs and I guess it worked as the music related complains stopped coming.
Bookshelf speaker - I used my sons swimming float and instantly got response from wife the sound is better.

So I know this works [emoji2][emoji2]

I have floorstanders now and wondering if it
will it be worth it to combine the materials and make a great isolation platform for all my speakers???

I plan to use a 3 layered approach.
Layer 1 will be simple cork steet of 10mm
Layer 2 will be yoga mat of 12mm
Layer 3 will be cork layer of 10mm

All layers will be glued using wood glue and painted black to match speaker colour.

The whole idea is to get combined benefit of cork and the yoga mat (the swimming floater sticks to the floor so wish to substitute with cork)

What do you think? Am I wasting time?

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Rasta,nothing like trying it out. Do not glue at first but put the layers ang check. Try out different combos. Must have trained ears to assist you. Do let us know the outcome. All the best.5

Thanks rupy
I don't have trained ears. Or know anyone with trained ears.

I guess an enhancement is kind of moot if I can't get a noticeable benefit from it.

So the best way would be to use my own ears and my wife's ears.
What I do is to ask her what sounds bearable when I raise the volume :)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back