Japanese Chef Knives

hifimaddy

hey everyone. Sorry at the beginning, because it's off topic. But I don't know which category to put my question in, but I found this to be very similar.
where to get real japanese cheff knife in india ?. i am seeing many options in amazon but i dont trust it . so if anybody knows please give me some information.

hey everyone. Sorry at the beginning, because it's off topic. But I don't know which category to put my question in, but I found this to be very similar.
where to get real japanese cheff knife in india ?. i am seeing many options in amazon but i dont trust it . so if anybody knows please give me some information.
Depending on how fast you swap out kit, it is safer to have blunt knifes at home

Depending on how fast you swap out kit,
After watching a lot of videos of chefs, I am interested in learning the cutting skills they are showing, so for a bit of fun and a little professional, I thought to try a Japanese knife.
it is safer to have blunt knifes at home
In fact, it's true for my own safety sometimes 🤣
Angry Its Over GIF by Laff

After watching a lot of videos of chefs, I am interested in learning the cutting skills they are showing, so for a bit of fun and a little professional, I thought to try a Japanese knife.

In fact, it's true for my own safety sometimes 🤣
Angry Its Over GIF by Laff
you might have tried this earlier, if not, having a good sharpening system for your knives you have might help you way more

I've seen Japanese hand made knives, though I have no interest in them. But they are truly the Rolex of knives.
I cook a lot as weekend fun, and was always unhappy with available knives. IKEA knives are junk.
My go to are original Fiskars laser hardened knives. These are typically twice the price of normal Fiskars. I get them directly from Helsinki. They are no Rolex, not even Longines of knives. But they are like Seiko. Will go on and on without any fuss.

The best ones I have used are Victorinox. Fairly inexpensive, plastic handles, stamped blades. But they last and remain sharp forever. Their peeler is a revelation after which you can never go back to a junta peeler.
Another good sasta option are the 3 pack serrated knives from Germany. Avl in most UAE shops for a few dirhams.

IMO, knives are just like audio equipment and many other material objects - mainly snob value. :p
At home, we have a Zwilling, a Fiskars, an Ikea and an ultra cheapo Chinese stamped steel knife (akin to maybe an Ajanta watch ;)) that is more than 35 years old. Without exception, everyone at home uses the Chinese knife while the other ones gather dust in some drawer. I can't even remember when I last saw the unused ones in the drawers.
I'm a weekend cook and do both - vegetarian as well as non-vegetarian dishes and NOT ONCE has the thought of using some other knife instead of the cheap one cross my mind. It's sharp and hence cuts perfectly, what else is needed in a knife? It's used for slicing bread, cutting meat, veggies, fruit - basically everything that needs cutting/chopping in the kitchen.
I think the biggest mistake people do is to not invest in a whetstone for sharpening and instead give knives to the local "dhaarwala" who will ruin the knife edge - guaranteed! Give him a laser hardened, a carbon steel, a diamond edged or whatever knife and he will massacre the edge.
I have taken cheapness to a new low - don't even have a whetstone; I use a small stone that was left behind by some marble tile polishing workers - looks like soapstone and has 2 perfectly flat surfaces. 2 swipes of the stone on both the edges of the knife and done! Been doing that for more years than I care to remember and never have I ever cursed the cheap knife though I curse everything else when I botch up in the kitchen.

I'm a weekend cook as well. Tired of the local stuff, bought this from Amazon and have been happy ever since.
View attachment 84631View attachment 84632
Wow, that looks nice. Can you share the link with me? or any other suggestions?

Edit:
One more thing: what kind of sharpener are you using? magnetic roller, carbon steel rod sharpener, or our normal local sharpener?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you share the link with me? or any other suggestions?
Sure: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B0000Y7KFO...X2HRVZ9DSS1RZY7_2&starsLeft=1&skipTwisterOG=1
Edit:
One more thing: what kind of sharpener are you using? magnetic roller, carbon steel rod sharpener, or our normal local sharpener?
Since my use is minimal, haven't sharpened it yet. But if required, I'll take it to a professional who has done fab job with my local knives earlier but the metal wasn't hard enough for the sharpness to last.

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back