LG G4 panel died after 5 days of usage. Both Brand & dealer claiming there's no DOA policy

whiskymusic

Purchased g4 55 last week. Entire panel died last night, shows nothing except full white screen & thick black bandings.
Technician visited today, concluded panel failure & ordered panel replacement which would take another 5 days for delivery.
When I enquired about entire TV replacement under DOA, he spoke to his senior and conveyed there's no DOA policy on their Television.
Spoke to the dealer (Reliance digital) & they confirmed same citing the best I could get is panel replacement.

Don't we have laws enforcing consumer rights?
Disappointed if I were in US/EU, I would've easily returned it for a factory packed new unit.

I felt like I've won the panel lottery on this purchase as colors were much uniform, 0 grayscale bandings, 0 purple or green tint. Skeptical if I'd have the same observation on replacement panel which would probably be a refurbished part.

Don't we have laws enforcing consumer rights?
Disappointed if I were in US/EU, I would've easily returned it for a factory packed new unit.
Yes, we do have them and they are quite effective. Once you institute a case, companies are usually quick to settle if facts are in your favor. If not, the consumer courts are pretty generous at granting relief as well.

DOA gets you entire product replacement with a new one.
DOA = dead on arrival?
You mean in the gora land (high income white man's developed countries) one gets entire new piece as a replacement for something that doesn't work straight out of the box?
But isn't that disputable? It could've been working for a few hours / days after unpacking. If it stops at this moment do the goras still replace the goods entirely?

Is the replacement policy a responsibility of the manufacturer or the retailer? I am inclined to believe that it is retailer's - since in my childhood I used to hear the tales of how in gora land one could walk into a store, buy something, use, and return within 15 days or 1 months to the retailer - no questions asked.

DOA = dead on arrival?
You mean in the gora land (high income white man's developed countries) one gets entire new piece as a replacement for something that doesn't work straight out of the box?
But isn't that disputable? It could've been working for a few hours / days after unpacking. If it stops at this moment do the goras still replace the goods entirely?

Is the replacement policy a responsibility of the manufacturer or the retailer? I am inclined to believe that it is retailer's - since in my childhood I used to hear the tales of how in gora land one could walk into a store, buy something, use, and return within 15 days or 1 months to the retailer - no questions asked.
It's termed "on arrival" but it's not to be taken literally. DOA clauses usually mean 7 or 15 days after arrival depending upon the manufacturer.

DOA = dead on arrival?
Saanvla & kaala get them too.
The ultimate responsibility falls on the brand irrespective of whoever provides replacement.

From my experience, if the product malfunctions for no fault from your side and if the company is not willing to acknowledge or gives a bad deal, then an intimation to them that you will report the issue in social media works faster than consumer laws or taking the legal route.
Our consumer laws are still not very effective like those in Europe or the US and may require a lot of time and effort. Hence the defiance and "Chalta hai" approach by them in India.
I have used the former approach to get the job done just a few days ago when reaching out repeatedly to the company( mobile manufacturing company) to honour their warranty had failed .

Last edited:
From my experience, if the product malfunctions for no fault from your side and if the company is not willing to acknowledge or gives a bad deal, then an intimation to them that you will report the issue in social media works faster than consumer laws or taking the legal route.
Our consumer laws are still not very effective like those in Europe or the US and may require a lot of time and effort. Hence the defiance and "Chalta hai" approach by them in India.
I have used the former approach to get the job done just a few days ago when reaching out repeatedly to the company( mobile manufacturing company) to honour their warranty had failed .
That's not correct. Try suing in a consumer court and you'll marvel at its effectiveness. Rather, it's lack of awareness and sheer laziness on the part of the affected consumer that has led to this perception.

That's not correct. Try suing in a consumer court and you'll marvel at its effectiveness. Rather, it's lack of awareness and sheer laziness on the part of the affected consumer that has led to this perception.
This may be true in some cases but not all. I won't call it sheer laziness especially if one is caught up with work and travel to the consumer court is inconvenient.
Besides hiring a lawyer would involve expenses which could in some cases be more than the faulty product itself.
If a person is well versed with the law, it would definitely be a good route.
Our company is fighting a clear case of a bounced cheque from a regular defaulter client for over 1.5 years with the dates being postponed every now and then to the effect that the lawyer has advised to drop the case since it would result in more legal expenses and wastage of time. This is precisely what makes these defaulters have a " care a damn attitude "towards consumers.
In my personal experience social media is a quicker way available to get the job done without wasting much time and almost no money.

This may be true in some cases but not all. I won't call it sheer laziness especially if one is caught up with work and travel to the consumer court is inconvenient.
Besides hiring a lawyer would involve expenses which could in some cases be more than the faulty product itself.
If a person is well versed with the law, it would definitely be a good route.
Our company is fighting a clear case of a bounced cheque from a regular defaulter client for over 1.5 years with the dates being postponed every now and then to the effect that the lawyer has advised to drop the case since it would result in more legal expenses and wastage of time. This is precisely what makes these defaulters have a " care a damn attitude "towards consumers.
In my personal experience social media is a quicker way available to get the job done without wasting much time and almost no money.
you can try raising complaint online, it does work out sometimes

you can try raising complaint online, it does work out sometimes
That was the very first option. Had emailed twice to the company with zero response. Went twice on a chat with their agents where escalation of the issue to their superiors was assured on the first chat. Helplessness was expressed in the 2nd chat and was advised to take the phone to another authorised center to confirm the fault which was ridiculous and a waste of time.
After polite emails and chats when things don't work out, the next resort is a firm intimation to put this issue on social media platforms if the issue is not resolved quickly which worked promptly in my case.
Anyway's I would not like to derail the fm's thread with my issue as the chapter is closed now.

That was the very first option. Had emailed twice to the company with zero response. Went twice on a chat with their agents where escalation of the issue to their superiors was assured on the first chat. Helplessness was expressed in the 2nd chat and was advised to take the phone to another authorised center to confirm the fault which was ridiculous and a waste of time.
After polite emails and chats when things don't work out, the next resort is a firm intimation to put this issue on social media platforms if the issue is not resolved quickly which worked promptly in my case.
Anyway's I would not like to derail the fm's thread with my issue as the chapter is closed now.
nah, I meant raising consumer court complaint online https://consumerhelpline.gov.in/

DOA = dead on arrival?

Apple retailers like Maple also have a DOA policy here in India. A shorter period though, just 2-3 days IIRC.

Apple retailers like Maple also have a DOA policy here in India. A shorter period though, just 2-3 days IIRC.
I think it should be illegal not to have DOA policy for any brand manufacturing electronics.

As of now, LG service center daily conveying me that they're waiting approval from their HOD for DOA replacement & gave ETA of 25-30 days which is horrendous!

Offshores, it's the dealer who takes liability to provide you instant replacement & tackle all these with the brand.

I'm thinking if I should seek legal avenues to expedite this but that'd be equally time consuming.

Raising grievance here just warrants you a formal reply from the brand. If I'm not wrong, they lack authority to direct brands to do anything.
For this, we've to E- dakhil proper case to the court.
yeah but even just that lights a fire under most orgs, if that doesn't work and you are petty/rich enough, e-daakhil is indeed the way

yeah but even just that lights a fire under most orgs, if that doesn't work and you are petty/rich enough, e-daakhil is indeed the way
It's less about being petty/rich, it's more about time & hassle.
Kinda sad, as a consumer you've to knock court's door for basic rights.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back