Listening music through AVR = my biggest mistake!

I have a slightly different experience to share....

I have used both stereo amp & AVR with same speakers and sources also the same...

Config 1 : NAD C521 CD Player + NAD C326 Stereo Amp + Sonodyne Sonus 2605 FS..

Config 2 : Onknyo TX NR 818 + Sonodyne Sonus 2605, source being the FLAC/WAV files being played from HTPC thru XBMC (WASPAI Mode) HDMI, Pure Audio mode (2.0)

For the same source being played, i found Onkyo AVR 818 to surpass the NAD combo easily....

The music is such good on Onkyo 818 - beautiful, pleasing with no fatigue even over extended listening for more than 5 hrs at a stretch.....

NAD C326 is rated @ continuous 50W/channel @ 8 Ohms, but feels more powerful with brute force....

Onkyo TX NR 818 is rated continuous 100W/Channel @ 8 Ohms when two channels driven simultaneously...

I think the DAC on the Onkyo AVR makes the difference... It uses dual differential model in stereo, which i think is using 2 DAC's... One for Left & Right channel...

After reading this post, I am planning to try some entry budget amps like topping for my Zensor 5 before jumping to mid grade amps. So, will there be any performance improvement over denon 2113 if I use budget amps like topping?

I think the DAC on the Onkyo AVR makes the difference... It uses dual differential model in stereo, which i think is using 2 DAC's... One for Left & Right channel...

In my AVR too, it was quoted "High performance 192kHz / 24bit Digital to Analogue converters for each channel" so does it mean higher performance. I thought quality of DAC is important rather than quantity.
Anyway, in my setup, I have to raise the volume around 70 for listening especially FLAC's through USB input even though mine has:
7 channels x 125 watts @ 6 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7%THD
7 channels x 95 watts @ 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.08% THD
I dont think it drives my 6 ohms Zensor 5 to the fullest even though recommended amp is 30 - 150W.
Any reason why I have to raise the volume beyond 3/4 to get optimum listening levels?

After reading this post, I am planning to try some entry budget amps like topping for my Zensor 5 before jumping to mid grade amps. So, will there be any performance improvement over denon 2113 if I use budget amps like topping?

In my AVR too, it was quoted "High performance 192kHz / 24bit Digital to Analogue converters for each channel" so does it mean higher performance. I thought quality of DAC is important rather than quantity.
Anyway, in my setup, I have to raise the volume around 70 for listening especially FLAC's through USB input even though mine has:
7 channels x 125 watts @ 6 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7%THD
7 channels x 95 watts @ 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.08% THD
I dont think it drives my 6 ohms Zensor 5 to the fullest even though recommended amp is 30 - 150W.
Any reason why I have to raise the volume beyond 3/4 to get optimum listening levels?

Usually DAC for all channels are reserved for higher models.... If your AVR has, then great.... True that the Quality of DAC is more important than quantity..... But this is a never ending argument on which is better.....

Anyways " 7 channels x 95 watts @ 8 ohms, 20Hz to 20kHz, 0.08% THD " is more of a realistic power figures & when two channels are driven, your AVR might pump around 60 ~ 75 Watts power @ 8 Ohms....

Did you setup your speaker using Audyssey ? What is the speaker setting on your AVR for your front left & right speakers.... Also tell us what is your Min & Max speaker values...

If your AVR supports Direct or Pure-Direct mode, which most likely it should, try switching to Pure-direct while listening to music. It shuts down all other/video circuitry to minimize interference in the audio signal. I have seen a noticeable difference in audio quality in this mode in my setup. Now I always listen to music in pure-direct mode.

If your AVR supports Direct or Pure-Direct mode, which most likely it should, try switching to Pure-direct while listening to music. It shuts down all other/video circuitry to minimize interference in the audio signal. I have seen a noticeable difference in audio quality in this mode in my setup. Now I always listen to music in pure-direct mode.

Right.... Pure direct on Denon / Pure Audio on Onkyo / Direct on Yamaha all does the same function.... In addition to that it treats the Fronts as LARGE speaker... No output is sent to subwoofer...

Did you setup your speaker using Audyssey ? What is the speaker setting on your AVR for your front left & right speakers.... Also tell us what is your Min & Max speaker values...

Yes, I am using Pure direct mode and speakers set to large and calibrated by Audyssey with one mic position. The volume range is 0 to 98.

I am able to notice the difference between pure direct and other modes but I am concerned abt volume levels being raised to this high (70) to get optimum listening levels. So, is my AVR the only bottleneck? I thought my avr is enough to power Zensor 5. Also, will it improve if I use entry level topping amps?

Yes, I am using Pure direct mode and speakers set to large and calibrated by Audyssey with one mic position. The volume range is 0 to 98.

I am able to notice the difference between pure direct and other modes but I am concerned abt volume levels being raised to this high (70) to get optimum listening levels. So, is my AVR the only bottleneck? I thought my avr is enough to power Zensor 5. Also, will it improve if I use entry level topping amps?

Even on my AVR, the volumne range from 0 to 99... A listening position of approx 9 feet away from AVR, i play them @ 55 volume level....

I was referring to the induvidual speaker setting on your AVR.. usually it is between -12db to + 12db (or) 0db - 12 db (or) some variables.... Check what settings you have on your AVR & tell us... if you increase that, you don't have to push the volume so much......

You AVR is modest enough to power Zensor 5... No worries....I haven't used topping amp's.. So can't comment on that... Wait for other FM to pitch in with actual experience with topping....

Hi Avink,
In my experience I have always felt that Marantz has a sound signature that is warmer rather than brighter. I however feel that the Marantz and Wharfedale combo is a good one. The PM5004 would suffice if your listen to music at moderate levels in a small room.
regards,
Ranga

Marantz are on the warmer side. If you want bright then go for the brands like Cambridge audio, Nad etc.

Speaker - Qacoustics 2010i,2020,2020i, PSB Alpha1, Mission MX1,MX2... Better than BA.

Have you heard Cambridge audio, Nad to say that they are on the brighter side? Most people on HFV suggest or just forward emails/ WhatsApp... Please listen to them before before making your call as there is a lot of money involved.

Have you heard Cambridge audio, Nad to say that they are on the brighter side? Most people on HFV suggest or just forward emails/ WhatsApp... Please listen to them before before making your call as there is a lot of money involved.

I apologize for my quote.

Most AVRs don't sound good for stereo music........its better to have a dedicated speaker-amp combo for listening to music.......

I wanted to update this thread..

Finally I went ahead and purchased NAD D3020 from US ($500, ~30K INR) :yahoo:

I could see a marked difference right away between listening to songs on Denon AVR vs NAD Amp. Even though I am listening through Bluetooth (it supports Aptx):
- The vocals have become livelier esp. for male voices the slight chestiness is gone.
- Big improvement on higher freq side. In some songs I noticed that some of the subtle high freq effects were just missing on Denon.
- Big improvement on sound-stage : Its lot more well -defined and esp. vocals are localized. You can clearly make out the placement.

Bottom line - I am loving it :yahoo::ohyeah:

20140812_111243.jpg

congrats on purchasing NAD..
after some time try to introduce one pre amp, either tube one or PASS B1.
You will get the astounding results. Search in this forum some has tried this with your 3020D amp.

Cheers
Dheeraj

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back