Marantz AV8802A or Krell AV Standard

raf1510

Marantz AV8802A or Krell AV Standard?
A couple of months ago, I picked up a Krell AV Standard for $1,000, and now I have the opportunity to buy a Marantz AV8802A for $1,600. I'm debating whether it's worth the upgrade in terms of audio and benefits. I know that both processor are years apart in terms of tech, but I'm wondering if the 600 USD are worth the update (plus I'll need to sell the Krell).

My setup includes:
  • Amps: Krell KAV-3250, Krell Full Power Balanced 600
  • Speakers: B&W Signature 800 (pair), B&W Nautilus 804 (pair), B&W ASW-2000 Subwoofer, Krell LAT-C1000 Center
  • Projector: JVC DLA RS40
  • Sources: Oppo BDP-103D, Nvidia Shield
Given that my projector isn't 4K, would the Marantz be a significant upgrade over the Krell in terms of audio? Or should I stick with the Krell AV Standard? I'm currently not too concerned about video capabilities because my projector is connected directly to the Oppo and not to the AV processor.

Thanks for any advice!

Disclaimer: I live in Argentina. Gear here is twice as expensive and twice as hard to find compared to the US.

Well, the Krell is over 20 years old as a model. Lacks modern HDMI audio switching and all the new generation of audio formats and the ability to stream music directly to it. If you need all of this, then I see no other choice but to get the Marantz. In terms of audio quality, I don't think its going to change a whole lot.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back