Media Player Help

PGY

Hi Everyone,

Need some help in media players,

I don't have much idea about the media players, I have seen Asus, WD TV live players online, but not sure which one to go for and how far it will help me :). I don't need a device to play online content, because TV is connected to wifi and i can play youtube videos through ipad.

Somehow i didnt like the output of the samsung Blu-ray player and am not using it ( planning to sell it off ).

- Need a device that helps to me play most of the audio and video formats and supports subtitles.
- Little bit user friendly
- A kind of future proof device atleast to keep it for a year :).

Could some one please suggest.

Thanks
-

Hi haisaikat,

Not yet, i saw google chromecast while searching online thats it :D.

Budget i can spend 5-6k, The biggest hit without a media player is playing FLAC and few other formats.

I really dont know whether i need a Media player to play only these file formats or i can do something to fix this in a less budget :).

Kindly suggest

Thanks

Asus O Play mini could be useful. Can play almost all formats. No internet streaming. You need a separate hard disk or USB device to play through it. Absolutely no frill and good product. I was using it until my Pioneer BDP 160 arrived. IMO very good, simple, no frill device.
Especially useful for downloaded and ripped contents.

Asus O Play mini could be useful. Can play almost all formats. No internet streaming. You need a separate hard disk or USB device to play through it. Absolutely no frill and good product. I was using it until my Pioneer BDP 160 arrived. IMO very good, simple, no frill device.
Especially useful for downloaded and ripped contents.
Hi Vinay,

I was thinking about the pioneer BDP 160, looks like its available around 12k. Getting a Pioneer BDP is a better idea rather than going for media player ?

So far i use PS3 to watch Blu-ray, If Pioneer BDP will take care of the media player job, then i can wait and buy the Pioneer BDP.

Somehow IMO i didnt like the picture quality coming out from the samsing BDP. I played one video from the samsung BDP USB. I felt the video output coming from TV USB is better than samsung BDP

So am not using it anymore, since you are using Pioneer, could you please tell me waiting and buying a Pioneer BDP is a good option ?

As far as format playability is concerned, I did not find any problem in Pioneer. It can play very well all the formats via USB including Flacs, SACD, ISO etc (checked personally). Even 5.1 SACD ripped flacs and ISOs. It has upscaling capability as well. Picture quality through DVDs are good too. It plays Youtube videos as well and mobile device can be paired to you tube. I could not use DLNA because it hanged when I tried. I did not bother much because it was not something that could have affected me much. All in all great player. BUT...it has something which can be irritating at times.

1) If you have lots of data in your hard disk, you need to scroll through the menu to reach your desired title.
2) You have to select appropriate type of file (read Video, Music, Picture). If you selected Video initially, you can not play music file. For example if any of your folder contains Video, Music and pictures (album art etc). You can play only that type of file that you have chosen earlier. Hope I am clear.

I think if you don't need blu ray functionality, you should better try Oplay mini. It is a lot cheaper and easy to replace.

As far as format playability is concerned, I did not find any problem in Pioneer. It can play very well all the formats via USB including Flacs, SACD, ISO etc (checked personally). Even 5.1 SACD ripped flacs and ISOs. It has upscaling capability as well. Picture quality through DVDs are good too. It plays Youtube videos as well and mobile device can be paired to you tube. I could not use DLNA because it hanged when I tried. I did not bother much because it was not something that could have affected me much. All in all great player. BUT...it has something which can be irritating at times.

1) If you have lots of data in your hard disk, you need to scroll through the menu to reach your desired title.
2) You have to select appropriate type of file (read Video, Music, Picture). If you selected Video initially, you can not play music file. For example if any of your folder contains Video, Music and pictures (album art etc). You can play only that type of file that you have chosen earlier. Hope I am clear.

I think if you don't need blu ray functionality, you should better try Oplay mini. It is a lot cheaper and easy to replace.
Thank you so much vinay...

That helps :).

Just make a few googling and see if the Pioneer BDP can output HD Audio (DTS_HD MA, etc) from usb content. Many a time a media player is better if USB content playback is the priority in areas like chosing from multiple subtitles or soundtracks, etc and variety of file format support. Yet if you still intend to buy a BDP better buy a networked BDP (or a networked Media Player for that matter) that supports playback of DLNA / UPnP streams to keep you guarded against future codecs (H 265)

5-6 K will not get you a media player thats gonna check on all boxes, WD live TV is a good option

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back