Moving from 2.0 to 5.1 setup

shagun

Hello All,

I currently have the following setup:
Marantz CD6003 => Marantz PM8003 => Monitor Audio RX6
Airtel DTH => Samsung 64F8500
Xbox 360 => Samsung 64F8500
Old Sony Bookshelf SS-H991/8 ohms/100 watts (intend to use as rear speakers)

Now I would like to introduce an AVR, a center channel speaker, a sub and a BDP.

I have some queries as to how to integrate my stereo setup with the AVR:
a. Please suggest an AVR with pre-outs and cost <40K.

b. In Yamaha AVRs, there is an analog audio out which is meant for audio recording device.
Can this be used as an input to the PM8003.

c. Should I go for the DIY switch solution suggested by spirovious
http://www.hifivision.com/diy/15761-cheap-diy-speaker-switch.html

Other queries:
d. Please suggest a musical sub (cost<25K)
e. Please suggest a BDP (cost~10K): Samsung BD H6500 or Pioneer BDP160.
f. Is it mandatory to go for Monitor Audio center channel or can I go for some other brand.
g. I may be getting a soundbar Samsung HW H450. Can the bar and the sub be used as center channel & sub for the 5.1 setup?

Too many queries, but answers to any of these would be appreciated.
Thanks.

A) Not aware of any model under 40k, try not to sacrifice a good AVR in search of pre-outs in this price range.
B) You can still use but I suppose the quality of audio won't be similar as in a pre-out
C) You can always give a try as it doesn't cost much and if it works for you, be glad
E) You have to stretch your budget a bit and get a Velodyne Impact 10
F) Pioneer BDP 160 is a good choice in that price range, stick to it.
G) It is always recommended to use a matching centre with same brand, in your case it should be an RX Centre. Not sure if it available anymore, else look for Silver Centre .
H) Forget about this, they won't have similar phase matching.

a) My 5 year old Yamaha RX V667 has pre outs. So the newer models will also surely have pre outs. Connect the Front Left and Right speaker pre outs to your to your PM 8003. Select this input on PM 8003 for movies 5.1. For Stereo continue with your existing setup using CD player input directly in to PM 8003.

b) Not advisable. SQ will be poor

c) You can in which case you do not need an AVR with pre outs and instead connect the speakers directly. Note that you are introducing one more contact in the speaker cable and this will degrade the SQ if your switch contacts are nor good.

d) Even I am in search of one. Not getting any in that budget. Sealed subs are recommended for Music.

e) No Idea
f)Yes it is recommended to have a similar center channel - if not same series at least similar signature .

g) Don't even think about introducing a sound bar .

Thanks Bharath and Jagdish for your useful inputs.

Now it is clear: No soundbar, no analog audio out (for recorders)
Either it would be
1. AVR with pre-outs
or
2. Switch with both Amp & AVR driving same FS
or
3. Keep stereo setup and Movie setup separate

For option 1, cheapest AVR with 2.1 pre-outs currently seems to be Marantz NR1504 (~46K). Please suggest if any other AVR has pre-outs below this price.

For sub, one dealer is suggesting Polk DSW550 to be better than Velodyne Impact 10, which led me to:
http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/43133-polk-dsw-550-vs-velodyne-impact-10-would-better.html
but seems like there was no conclusion there.

My usage is 60:40 music:movie and room size is 25x20.

Hi shagun,

If you are already using a Marantz and is used to the quality of sound and output, would suggest you to go in for the NR 1504...check with the other dealers if available cheaper....the SR series will have pre outs with double the power output (100w RMS per channel).

If budget is a constraint, you may want to look at the Yamaha RX V 377 / 477 which seems to have good performance and used by some of our fellow members...

In terms of a sub, good value for money for movie and music performance is the Boston Acoustic ASW 650 which is a 10 inch front firing Operating freq 28hz - 150hz...

All the best!

Why would you want to move to a 5.1, you've got a good setup. If you are looking to add digital inputs rather spend the money on a DAC. If you're looking for bass, add a good sub. If you're restricting your budget for the AVR you cant expect the same quality as your stereo amp, moreover if you intend to use the pre out section of the AVR to the stereo amp it will be a big let down, the gains from the basic AVR would not help to extract power from the stereo amp.
What most of stereo setups miss is the bottom end mainly when your watching movies, I personally feel if you add a sub, a real good one, preferably the whole budget what u intended to spend, it would be a great addition to your setup. It's just my opinion, because I'm saving up for my sub addition.

i have recieved a quote of 32k for marantz nr1504. Also if you need a really good experience try to match all the speakers in the ht setup. I was suggested that the fronts and center should be voice matched. Surrounds can be any, however it is better if all speakers are same series. Music its finally your choice. If you have the cash for a separate stereo setup (which you already own) then its better to keep ht and stereo setup separate.

i have recieved a quote of 32k for marantz nr1504. Also if you need a really good experience try to match all the speakers in the ht setup. I was suggested that the fronts and center should be voice matched. Surrounds can be any, however it is better if all speakers are same series. Music its finally your choice. If you have the cash for a separate stereo setup (which you already own) then its better to keep ht and stereo setup separate.

Hi Rayvonnee,
Yes, now I am considering to have the center channel and fronts matched (Monitor Audio Silver).
Please PM me the dealer who has given you the quote of 32K for Marantz NR1504. The price is really good and I hope it is with warranty.
Thanks.

Why would you want to move to a 5.1, you've got a good setup. If you are looking to add digital inputs rather spend the money on a DAC. If you're looking for bass, add a good sub. If you're restricting your budget for the AVR you cant expect the same quality as your stereo amp, moreover if you intend to use the pre out section of the AVR to the stereo amp it will be a big let down, the gains from the basic AVR would not help to extract power from the stereo amp.
What most of stereo setups miss is the bottom end mainly when your watching movies, I personally feel if you add a sub, a real good one, preferably the whole budget what u intended to spend, it would be a great addition to your setup. It's just my opinion, because I'm saving up for my sub addition.

Hello Sridharan,
My purpose is to have surround sound effect for HD channels(30% usage) & Blu ray movies (10% usage). But considering that my main usage is music (60%), I think your suggestion makes sense.
My TV (64F8500) does not have analog audio out and I have problem connecting it to the integrated stereo amp (PM8003). If I remain with 2.0 or 2.1, I would definitely have to solve this problem.
Other than this issue, as you suggest, I would start with adding the sub first and see if I need to go to 5.1.
Thanks.

Hi shagun,

If you are already using a Marantz and is used to the quality of sound and output, would suggest you to go in for the NR 1504...check with the other dealers if available cheaper....the SR series will have pre outs with double the power output (100w RMS per channel).

If budget is a constraint, you may want to look at the Yamaha RX V 377 / 477 which seems to have good performance and used by some of our fellow members...

In terms of a sub, good value for money for movie and music performance is the Boston Acoustic ASW 650 which is a 10 inch front firing Operating freq 28hz - 150hz...

All the best!

Thanks Efernand1.
I am trying to get better price for NR1504/1604.
Also, as you suggest, I would consider the BA ASW650 for the sub.

Hello Sridharan,
My purpose is to have surround sound effect for HD channels(30% usage) & Blu ray movies (10% usage). But considering that my main usage is music (60%), I think your suggestion makes sense.
My TV (64F8500) does not have analog audio out and I have problem connecting it to the integrated stereo amp (PM8003). If I remain with 2.0 or 2.1, I would definitely have to solve this problem.
Other than this issue, as you suggest, I would start with adding the sub first and see if I need to go to 5.1.
Thanks.

I have connected the analog audio out from Airtel STB to the stereo amp and the sound effect has improved a lot.
As per Sridharan's advice, I would go for a good sub for now. I have shortlisted SVS PB1000 and believe it maybe just ok for 25x20x9 cu.ft room.
Further I would add Pioneer BDP 170(with analog audio out) and would postpone the plan for moving to 5.1.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back