My 10 Year Old Granddaughter Builds a Tube Amp

FlaCharlie

This was actually the first circuit I developed with the convenient SMPS used in the Simplissimo, the breadboard style SE EL34 that I posted previously:

While the circuit used here is different, the design follows the same general theme (SMPS, no soldered connections) except that it's more cosmetically appealing since it's built in a chassis.

My granddaughter heard the experimental breadboard version and was impressed with the sound so I suggested that she should build one for herself. Now my experimental breadboards definitely have that mad scientist look - totally chaotic with clip leads running everywhere. So to say that she was highly skeptical would be an understatement. But when I told her it would look nicer and that it could be assembled using a screwdriver, her interest was piqued.

I had originally hoped to have her build the amp when she was 9, during her spring break from 4th Grade. But she had other plans so this has been her summer vacation project. Yes, I helped a bit with the initial prep work. I came up with a layout and drilled the larger holes in the chassis, which is a more difficult job since I don't have a drill press.

She drilled the smaller holes (her first time using a drill), mounted all the components, tube sockets, terminal blocks, did all the wiring, installed all the resistors and caps, etc. Along the way she learned how to follow a schematic, how to use a multimeter and how to test the tubes on my Hickok tester.

Those who have read my previous build threads know that I like to keep costs low by using repurposed materials and I often use tubes that are "under the radar".

For the chassis we're using the same type of bamboo box that I used for my Boogie Factor 1626 preamp.

These can be found at Target or Walmart. Wood enclosures are easier to work with because more common hand tools can be used. The resultant amp is similar in size to the cult fave Decware - a little smaller, actually.

Here are some pics of the finished amp:

GEDC0823.jpg

GEDC0821.jpg

I often use tubes that are "under the radar" so the audio circuit uses one of my favorite oddball output tubes, the 6N6G, paired with the ever popular 6SN7. I've used the 6N6G previously in a SE build, the Nuance iSET:

. . . and in a modded Magnavox PP console amp which originally used 6V6s.

The 6N6G is a dual dissimilar triode with the input triode internally configured as a cathode follower. Check the Nuance iSET thread above for more details.

While it's not currently produced, it's still relatively inexpensive and available. Some dealers may have them and whenever I've looked on eBay I've always found at least 15 or 20 listings for them, some used, some NOS. So obtaining tubes and spares in DIY quantities shouldn't be an issue. Of course, eBay prices vary widely but if you're patient you should be able to find them for ~$20 to 25 and perhaps less.

They're relatively easy to drive so the input circuit can be simple and it's super easy to wire them up. All you need to do is connect the cathode pin directly to ground. No external bias resistor or bypass cap is used. Just put voltage on the plates and you're good to go. According to the data sheets, when the plate of the input section is wired to B+ the output power is comparable to a pentode wired 6V6 but with slightly lower distortion.

The input plate can also be connected directly to the output plate, which is how it's used here. This results in a bit less power output and tightens up the bass. So, I assume there's local feedback being applied. On the Nuance I installed a switch which allows either mode of operation but I've found that I almost never use the higher power mode.

This amp will be used in a small room and my granddaughter doesn't like to listen at loud volumes so the plates of the two sections are connected at the socket. I have no way to measure power output but I would guess that it's ~3 to 3.5 wpc. Based solely on listening impressions I'd say it's somewhat more powerful than a triode wired 6V6.

The output transformers are from Musical Power Supplies in Tennessee. They have a 7k primary, as specified in the 6N6G data sheet for SE operation. These are the "Hi-Fi" versions, not the ones sold for guitar amp use. They're rated at 10w and are considerably more substantial than the little OTs used in the Decware or the popular SE Magnavox amps.

The input tube is the renowned 6SN7. I had several NOS ones and a box of used ones in stock but, surprisingly, I'd never built anything with them before. The one here is a NOS Sylvania GTA and the output tubes are also NOS Sylvanias.

Here's the schematic:

RLT 6N6G.jpg

And here are some "in progress" pics . . .

GEDC0800.jpg

GEDC0802.jpg

GEDC0798.jpg

GEDC0804.jpg

GEDC0805.jpg

GEDC0820.jpg

GEDC0818.jpg

The octal sockets used here are more expensive than the octal relay sockets that I used in the Simplissimo EL34 breadboard amp. These are available in two versions. One for use on a breadboard like the relay types and these, which allow the tubes to be mounted on the top of a chassis while the connectors are accessible underneath. I also have some 9 pin miniature sockets configured like this. There are also 4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin, 7 pin miniature and loctals in this style but I've only seen those versions configured for breadboard use.

Wall mount speaker binding posts and RCA jacks commonly used in home theater installations, as I used on the Simplissimo EL34 breadboard build, are also used here.

Like most kids these days, my granddaughter only streams music so the amp is designed as a power amp with no volume control. The inputs are connected to either a tiny Bluetooth receiver or an old Apple Airport Express, which uses Wi-Fi, and the volume is controlled by her phone or tablet. If she ever starts using a source with a fixed output level, such as a CD player, there's plenty of room to add a volume control that uses screw connectors. Or I just found an even easier solution - an inexpensive ($25) remote controlled DAC which has coax and optical inputs as well as Bluetooth.

I was going to name the amp after her but she vetoed that idea so I've dubbed it the RLT (Road Less Traveled) 6N6G.

Of course, the first music she played was Taylor Swift.

Last edited:
This was actually the first circuit I developed with the convenient SMPS used in the Simplissimo, the breadboard style SE EL34 that I posted previously:

While the circuit used here is different, the design follows the same general theme (SMPS, no soldered connections) except that it's more cosmetically appealing since it's built in a chassis.

My granddaughter heard the experimental breadboard version and was impressed with the sound so I suggested that she should build one for herself. Now my experimental breadboards definitely have that mad scientist look - totally chaotic with clip leads running everywhere. So to say that she was highly skeptical would be an understatement. But when I told her it would look nicer and that it could be assembled using a screwdriver, her interest was piqued.

I had originally hoped to have her build the amp when she was 9, during her spring break from 4th Grade. But she had other plans so this has been her summer vacation project. Yes, I helped a bit with the initial prep work. I came up with a layout and drilled the larger holes in the chassis, which is a more difficult job since I don't have a drill press.

She drilled the smaller holes (her first time using a drill), mounted all the components, tube sockets, terminal blocks, did all the wiring, installed all the resistors and caps, etc. Along the way she learned how to follow a schematic, how to use a multimeter and how to test the tubes on my Hickok tester.

Those who have read my previous build threads know that I like to keep costs low by using repurposed materials and I often use tubes that are "under the radar".

For the chassis we're using the same type of bamboo box that I used for my Boogie Factor 1626 preamp.

These can be found at Target or Walmart. Wood enclosures are easier to work with because more common hand tools can be used. The resultant amp is similar in size to the cult fave Decware - a little smaller, actually.

Here are some pics of the finished amp:

View attachment 86137

View attachment 86138

I often use tubes that are "under the radar" so the audio circuit uses one of my favorite oddball output tubes, the 6N6G, paired with the ever popular 6SN7. I've used the 6N6G previously in a SE build, the Nuance iSET:

. . . and in a modded Magnavox PP console amp which originally used 6V6s.

The 6N6G is a dual dissimilar triode with the input triode internally configured as a cathode follower. Check the Nuance iSET thread above for more details.

While it's not currently produced, it's still relatively inexpensive and available. Some dealers may have them and whenever I've looked on eBay I've always found at least 15 or 20 listings for them, some used, some NOS. So obtaining tubes and spares in DIY quantities shouldn't be an issue. Of course, eBay prices vary widely but if you're patient you should be able to find them for ~$20 to 25 and perhaps less.

They're relatively easy to drive so the input circuit can be simple and it's super easy to wire them up. All you need to do is connect the cathode pin directly to ground. No external bias resistor or bypass cap is used. Just put voltage on the plates and you're good to go. According to the data sheets, when the plate of the input section is wired to B+ the output power is comparable to a pentode wired 6V6 but with slightly lower distortion.

The input plate can also be connected directly to the output plate, which is how it's used here. This results in a bit less power output and tightens up the bass. So, I assume there's local feedback being applied. On the Nuance I installed a switch which allows either mode of operation but I've found that I almost never use the higher power mode.

This amp will be used in a small room and my granddaughter doesn't like to listen at loud volumes so the plates of the two sections are connected at the socket. I have no way to measure power output but I would guess that it's ~3 to 3.5 wpc. Based solely on listening impressions I'd say it's somewhat more powerful than a triode wired 6V6.

The output transformers are from Musical Power Supplies in Tennessee. They have a 7k primary, as specified in the 6N6G data sheet for SE operation. These are the "Hi-Fi" versions, not the ones sold for guitar amp use. They're rated at 10w and are considerably more substantial than the little OTs used in the Decware or the popular SE Magnavox amps.

The input tube is the renowned 6SN7. I had several NOS ones and a box of used ones in stock but, surprisingly, I'd never built anything with them before. The one here is a NOS Sylvania GTA and the output tubes are also NOS Sylvanias.

Here's the schematic:

View attachment 86139

And here are some "in progress" pics . . .

View attachment 86140

View attachment 86141

View attachment 86142

View attachment 86143

View attachment 86144

View attachment 86145

View attachment 86146

The octal sockets used here are more expensive than the octal relay sockets that I used in the Simplissimo EL34 breadboard amp. These are available in two versions. One for use on a breadboard like the relay types and these, which allow the tubes to be mounted on the top of a chassis while the connectors are accessible underneath. I also have some 9 pin miniature sockets configured like this. There are also 4 pin, 5 pin, 6 pin, 7 pin miniature and loctals in this style but I've only seen those versions configured for breadboard use.

Wall mount speaker binding posts and RCA jacks commonly used in home theater installations, as I used on the Simplissimo EL34 breadboard build, are also used here.

Like most kids these days, my granddaughter only streams music so the amp is designed as a power amp with no volume control. The inputs are connected to either a tiny Bluetooth receiver or an old Apple Airport Express, which uses Wi-Fi, and the volume is controlled by her phone or tablet. If she ever starts using a source with a fixed output level, such as a CD player, there's plenty of room to add a volume control that uses screw connectors. Or I just found an even easier solution - an inexpensive ($25) remote controlled DAC which has coax and optical inputs as well as Bluetooth.

I was going to name the amp after her but she vetoed that idea so I've dubbed it the RLT (Road Less Traveled) 6N6G.

Of course, the first music she played was Taylor Swift.
What a fabulous collaboration between you and your grand daughter!
Congratulations on this loving bond that resulted in an amp that brings satisfaction and pleasure to you both. Please share our messages and appreciation with your grandchild.

This is so awesome, it brough back some fond memories of dad helping me with my first ever amplifier build when in was in 4th grade, around 9 years old (1-watt amplifier based on AC187/AC188 germanium transistors). Of course, he did not design the circuit, we used a Mullard standard circuit but I fondly remember the long conversations we had before the build, with him explaining how things worked, tips on layout, what components to buy, etc. and also the experience of going to the store with him to buy the required components. All timeless memories for me, associated with him.

good to know there is somebody in you family who will carry forward your audiophile legacy
This is so awesome, it brough back some fond memories of dad helping me with my first ever amplifier build when in was in 4th grade, around 9 years old (1-watt amplifier based on AC187/AC188 germanium transistors). Of course, he did not design the circuit, we used a Mullard standard circuit but I fondly remember the long conversations we had before the build, with him explaining how things worked, tips on layout, what components to buy, etc. and also the experience of going to the store with him to buy the required components. All timeless memories for me, associated with him.
I really enjoyed sharing my hobby with her and she certainly had a lot of fun building it. Even if she never gets more involved in audio, I'm sure it expanded her horizons.

The experience of building something together is far more important than the object being built.

Wow! This is amazing in so many aspects, I am losing count. Teaching a young child STEM skills, breaking gender barriers, teaching a young "girl" STEM skills, bonding, discipline - terrific. Hats off Sir.

Absolutely amazing.
It is quite nice to know that she is a budding audiophile. And you are helping her get the proper technical grounding.
Hats off to both of you.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back