Need Help:- 30W RMS amp paired with 130w FS speaker

apbinu

Hi FM,

Need your expert opinion, is it fine to pair a 30W RMS amp with Peak 130w FS speakers. Do you think this will over-burn/damage the amp / speakers by any chance? :confused:

Stereo Amp
--------------
30 watts RMS per channel (into 8 Ohms)

FS Speakers
---------------
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohm
Max Output Power 130 Watt
Frequency Response 40 - 20000 Hz
Crossover Channel Qty 3-way
Sensitivity 87 dB
Crossover Frequency 250Hz, 3000Hz

Any inputs/suggestions on this one would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Binu

If you can avoid, then avoid this combination. First issue, amp rated at 30w 8ohm, speakers are 6 ohms so amp will have to work harder. Second issue, speakers are on the inefficient side at 87db, which will again make the amp work even harder.

Considering these numbers the amp might drive the speakers, but you might end up pushing the amp and leaving very little or no headroom.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Hi,

If the amp clearly states that 6-8 ohms can be handled I don't see a major challenge for the amp to handle the speakers....approx the amp should deliver 50-60 watts of continous power @ 6 ohms load to the speakers...

Any electronic heats up...so put a mini fan near the amp to keep it cool when using at loud volumes or longer periods...

So say i'm playing this amp for 2-3 hrs daily with a vol set to 40-60% it should be fine? how about the audio details will have to crank up the vol to get more out of the speakers?

See the speaker spec for minimum wattage amp requirement. Some good speakers run from 20 Watts. If we play the music louder in a lower watt amplifier will leads to clipping and clipping will damage your tweeters.
I was using cosmic lab concert 3000 Amp(35+35 Watts at 8 ohms) to drive my sonodyne sonus 2605 (FS). Now Iam using Denon PMA 1500AE.(70+70 Watts
at 8ohms.) i can clearly see the difference in drive ability.
Go for Minimum 60 to 70 watts Amplifier.

in my opinion, as long as you dont feel the amp is strained (distortion etc)
it should be fine, but a 30W amp driving 87db speakers should run out of breath easily

Modern Amps are designed to work with 6? and 8? speakers both. So it is quite natural that at 6? the output will be more.

Since (output) voltage is always constant, the low impedance (6?) speakers will draw more current from the amp and hence power output will be more.
So the same amp will output 90W with 8? speakers but jump to 120W at 6?.

Ultimately it is the fidelity of the sound, the elimination of noise, THD, etc. are more important for the amp.
For the speakers, the reproduction of sound, the correct crossover frequency, ability to produce the correct sound even at low volumes, not blaring at high volumes, etc., is important. 6? or 8? does not matter.

Hi FM,

Need your expert opinion, is it fine to pair a 30W RMS amp with Peak 130w FS speakers. Do you think this will over-burn/damage the amp / speakers by any chance? :confused:

Stereo Amp
--------------
30 watts RMS per channel (into 8 Ohms)

FS Speakers
---------------
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohm
Max Output Power 130 Watt
Frequency Response 40 - 20000 Hz
Crossover Channel Qty 3-way
Sensitivity 87 dB
Crossover Frequency 250Hz, 3000Hz

Any inputs/suggestions on this one would be highly appreciated.

Cheers,
Binu

Hi Binu,

I would say all depends on the Amp and speaker you are using. I have seen Modern Amplifiers with 50w choking to run a normal FS and Vintage systems with 20 Watts doing magic with Big FS's.

But better to avoid 30W amp to 150 W Speaker, High chance for Speaker to get damaged due to the push of distortion\Noise from the Amp. The speaker might sound fine only upto 11 o'clock position and you never know when you turn up the volume and risk the speakers.

Sure, thanks for the feedback guys. i think the takeaway is to stay away with this combination, just don't want to risk the setup :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back