Need suggestions

IDS

Hi - New here and also a noob in the whole audiophile world.

Am looking to build my set up. I would like to start with a pair of bookshelves and go from there.

I started with the idea of getting a pair of active/bluetooth enabled speakers but after reading up online I am also now open to a receiver with bookshelf speakers.

My budget is limited to maybe 50-60k to start with. Please do suggest options.

I liked listening to the Klipsch RP600s but they were out of price range. I heard the KRK Rokit 8s ... I liked those as well (little Bass heavy)
I like the look of the Wharfedale 11.2/11.1 and Dali Oberons but I havent heard them.
Please do provide other options as well

Hoping for some guidance

Am looking to build my set up. I would like to start with a pair of bookshelves and go from there.

I started with the idea of getting a pair of active/bluetooth enabled speakers but after reading up online I am also now open to a receiver with bookshelf speakers.

I liked listening to the Klipsch RP600s but they were out of price range. I heard the KRK Rokit 8s ... I liked those as well (little Bass heavy)
I like the look of the Wharfedale 11.2/11.1 and Dali Oberons but I havent heard them.

Hoping for some guidance

@IDS, welcome to the forum. The FMs could provide you relevant suggestions if you tell more about yourself - what kind of music you listen to, what’s the room dimensions, how far from the speakers would be your listening position, whether you prefer detailed, crisp sound or warm, non-fatiguing sound... and so on.

Hi - I am mostly into rock n roll, Jazz, alternative rock, some metal and vintage rock n roll.

My couch should be about ~ 9 feet from the entertainment unit. It is a L shaped hall. Im not sure how to describe sound ... but I would like to think of it as warm sound with good detail.
Not sure if this is good enough an explanation

Hoping for some guidance

Hi IDS,

I have the Dali Oberon1's, they are quite good paired with the Marantz. But go for the bigger Oberon 3 which will easily fit within your budget. You can also add qaccoustics 3020i/concept 20 and Monitor audio Bronze to your list.
Pls note that these bookshelves will not give you full range bass. Hence it would be better to make provision for a subwoofer depending on your music/movie tastes in future.

Regards.

Hoping for some guidance
Pm if interested in Brand new Sealed box of Polk Rti A1 BS.

Hi - I am mostly into rock n roll, Jazz, alternative rock, some metal and vintage rock n roll.

My couch should be about ~ 9 feet from the entertainment unit. It is a L shaped hall. Im not sure how to describe sound ... but I would like to think of it as warm sound with good detail.
Not sure if this is good enough an explanation

Given your musical tastes, it’s no surprise you liked the Klipsch - its dynamics rock. The speakers have to make you move your body for that kind of music - Klipsch can. I’d say, go with your heart and spend once, but spend well. It may mean postponing your amp purchase (consider tubes) by a few months... look for a cheaply available used integrated amp (you’d find some listings on the forum) till then as stop gap... you can sell it later for small loss. Getting the speaker of your choice is the most important part of building a system. Don’t compromise there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Given your musical tastes, it’s no surprise you liked the Klipsch - its dynamics rock. The speakers have to make you move your body for that kind of music - Klipsch can. I’d say, go with your heart and spend once, but spend well. It may mean postponing your amp purchase (consider tubes) by a few months... look for a cheaply available used integrated amp (you’d find some listings on the forum) till then as stop gap... you can sell it later for small loss. Getting the speaker of your choice is the most important part of building a system. Don’t compromise there.
Thanks Sachin ... would you also have insights on how the Wharfedale 11.2s will work paired with a marantz NR1508 amp. This was suggested to me by Hifimart

Hi IDS,

I have the Dali Oberon1's, they are quite good paired with the Marantz. But go for the bigger Oberon 3 which will easily fit within your budget. You can also add qaccoustics 3020i/concept 20 and Monitor audio Bronze to your list.
Pls note that these bookshelves will not give you full range bass. Hence it would be better to make provision for a subwoofer depending on your music/movie tastes in future.

Regards.
THanks Nitin. Will keep the Dalis on the shortlist as well.

THanks Nitin. Will keep the Dalis on the shortlist as well.

Most welcome, 2 years back the oberon3's were available for 37k a pair but looks like the prices have increased a lot as per Amazon price. If you are not in a hurry then better to wait. Since this price escalation may be due to the Covid crisis. From a Dali dealer you will get a better discount as I did. All the best.

Last edited:
Thanks Sachin ... would you also have insights on how the Wharfedale 11.2s will work paired with a marantz NR1508 amp. This was suggested to me by Hifimart

Sorry @IDS, won’t be able to help you there. Hopefully some other FM might be able to provide an insight. But why an AVR? Since you’d use for music, why not go for a stereo amp instead?

Sorry @IDS, won’t be able to help you there. Hopefully some other FM might be able to provide an insight. But why an AVR? Since you’d use for music, why not go for a stereo amp instead?
Noob question again ... would a stereo amp perform better than an avr.
I was considering the avr since it had streaming apps on it like tidal, amazon music etc.
I dont mind looking at a stereo amp instead if it is going to be better. I can stream through phone or laptop

If you conduct a poll, majority would agree on it.

I was considering the avr since it had streaming apps on it like tidal, amazon music etc.
I dont mind looking at a stereo amp instead if it is going to be better. I can stream through phone or laptop

These days some stereo amps come with digital (including wireless) inputs (i.e. inbuilt DAC). Most likely, the phone/laptop's DAC won't be as good.

As @SachinChavan said, a poll would tell you that a dedicated stereo amp would be better than avr. However, if you are going to use an AVR, just for 2ch amplification, why not. Gives you streaming and lot of connectivity options, room calibration/ correction etc. You can also plonk a couple of surrounds later for a better immersive experience.

@rainbowsong2000 has a new Yamaha RN 803 for sale which he had pointed out earlier. It's quite a VFM device. Good amp, dac, streaming and connection options.

FM @rajivaryan1984 has some Dali Zensor speakers to sell. Yamaha and Dali are quite a good combination.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back