Norge 1000 with their Tower Speakers

Prudent111

Hello,

I am planning to buy Norge 1000 Gold to be paired with Norge 125 watts tower speakers. I would be mostly listening to Hindi movie songs from 60s to 2000's, at times classical sourced from .wav or .flac files and occasionally for movies from OTT platforms. Growing up listening to radio, I lean towards clear mids. This is my first purchase into audiophile world. So far I am listening on Sony SRS-D9 active speakers. Have recently added pagaria bluetooth receiver/transmitter to enable wireless listening to it. In future, planning to buy a dedicated DAC that can directly play .wav, .flac, .mp3 files from USB pen drive. I also have Sony DVD Player DVP-SR760H which I use to connect to Sony speakers. presently I am writing .wav files to .cda (Red Book) format by using NCH software to play from this DVD.

Please suggest would Norge be a good combination or should I go for other one. My apprehension with Norge 1000 is that while the it can drive 4 ohms at 100 watts the tower speaker are 125 watts at 4 ohm, which would put strain on amplifier. My basic understanding is that the amplifier watt should be greater than the speakers and the ohms of speaker should be greater than the ampIifier, hope this is correct understanding? I do not want heating problems on Norge set up to spoil these equipments. In the past I have listened to Focal Chora 806 2-way bookshelf speakers, I loved them, but cost is way to high for an entry level audiophile. I can stretch my budget to upto 50,000 for amplifier and speaker together. Also suggest a DAC preferably with ESS9038Q2M or better with direct USB play supporting .wav or .flac files.

Many Thanks.​

If your priority is Mids try Indiq Diamond Mishra speakers. Indiq also deals in Norge. You can make a comorebo deal with them.

Regarding DAC, what's your budget? One more thing you need to know, most DACs don't play music right from USB. They need some source to play from like streamer, PC, DAP etc. Your best bet would be a streamer with DAC like Allo Boss 2 or Wiim Pro/Pro Plus. Another option would be a economy DAP like activo CT10.

You could also look at Audiophile grade active speakers like Q Accoustic M20 or Elac DCB41.

Last edited:
The last I heard norge tower speakers- they were made bass heavy to lean towards the current/ broad- based listening tastes. You will have to request Mr Laxman there to take care of the bass so as to cater to more mid- range. They have a pair there which was made by Mr Bajaj for his wife which are more balanced. If they can do that then they will be much better placed to cater to your rig. If you do not want 4 ohms then please go for atleast 6 ohms which can later on fit in with your home theater or other expansion which you will do in the future. A 4 ohm speaker is difficult load for an AVR. If you do go for 4 Ohm then a cheap option is to go for a Crown or similar power amp. A Crown kind of amp will provide enough juice for any speaker.

As you are in Mumbai, please do a demo with Norge before you proceed with. You can get clarified all your doubts regarding the speaker impedance and capabilities of the amplifier. In normal scenario you will never need to run the amplifier in it's full throttle, same case with the speakers as well.

Norge 1000 was my first amp too. However, I paired it with Norge bookshelf speakers and enjoyed them for almost 10 years. I had spoken to Sam Bajaj and he had recommended the bookshelves based on my room size.
I recall I wasn't able to find anyone who had a view on , or had used their floorstanders. Since you are in Bombay, it's best to get a demo.

My apprehension with Norge 1000 is that while the it can drive 4 ohms at 100 watts the tower speaker are 125 watts at 4 ohm, which would put strain on amplifier.
No, It doesn't works that way.

Say, If you use 100W amp with 100W (or even 1000W) 8 ohms speakers- this will not stress the amp

4 ohms will give just border line stress depending upon the speakers impedance curve

2 ohms or lower will be very stressful to most amplifier designs unless they have massively paralleled output stages.

Anyways, under normal listening conditions, you would hardly exceed 10W / ch.

In conclusion- impedance of a speaker is the deciding criteria for pairing with any amplifier. Wattage is secondary.
The product you mentioned will work just fine
BTW I don't want to confuse you any further with clipping and distortion resulting in damages due to mismatched amplifier and speaker pairing.

I had the demo on 01st July this year and ended up buying Norge 1000 . The Floorstanders were bass heavy and boomy for my taste . Norge 1000 had no issues driving the speaker and it went quite loud .

Get a demo of floorstanders with Norge 2000 also . That will take care of your power requirements . Refer below thread

Hello,

I am planning to buy Norge 1000 Gold to be paired with Norge 125 watts tower speakers. I would be mostly listening to Hindi movie songs from 60s to 2000's, at times classical sourced from .wav or .flac files and occasionally for movies from OTT platforms. Growing up listening to radio, I lean towards clear mids. This is my first purchase into audiophile world. So far I am listening on Sony SRS-D9 active speakers. Have recently added pagaria bluetooth receiver/transmitter to enable wireless listening to it. In future, planning to buy a dedicated DAC that can directly play .wav, .flac, .mp3 files from USB pen drive. I also have Sony DVD Player DVP-SR760H which I use to connect to Sony speakers. presently I am writing .wav files to .cda (Red Book) format by using NCH software to play from this DVD.

Please suggest would Norge be a good combination or should I go for other one. My apprehension with Norge 1000 is that while the it can drive 4 ohms at 100 watts the tower speaker are 125 watts at 4 ohm, which would put strain on amplifier. My basic understanding is that the amplifier watt should be greater than the speakers and the ohms of speaker should be greater than the ampIifier, hope this is correct understanding? I do not want heating problems on Norge set up to spoil these equipments. In the past I have listened to Focal Chora 806 2-way bookshelf speakers, I loved them, but cost is way to high for an entry level audiophile. I can stretch my budget to upto 50,000 for amplifier and speaker together. Also suggest a DAC preferably with ESS9038Q2M or better with direct USB play supporting .wav or .flac files.

Many Thanks.​
There is no problem with matching as the company themselves suggest that Gold 1000 can be matched to their towers. Take a demo (must) as I have found bass to be boomy in these towers played with this very same amplifier. However if you have same observation then better go for some other tower speakers. I am using the amp with Wharfedale bookshelf, even the amp is nicely matched with Elac's. The speakers have a minimum and max power requirement that they need from the amp , considering that many towers will match with this amplifier. All the best.

If your priority is Mids try Indiq Diamond Mishra speakers. Indiq also deals in Norge. You can make a comorebo deal with them.

Regarding DAC, what's your budget? One more thing you need to know, most DACs don't play music right from USB. They need some source to play from like streamer, PC, DAP etc. Your best bet would be a streamer with DAC like Allo Boss 2 or Wiim Pro/Pro Plus. Another option would be a economy DAP like activo CT10.

You could also look at Audiophile grade active speakers like Q Accoustic M20 or Elac DCB41.
Thank you for your advice. My DAC budget is around 20k.

T
The last I heard norge tower speakers- they were made bass heavy to lean towards the current/ broad- based listening tastes. You will have to request Mr Laxman there to take care of the bass so as to cater to more mid- range. They have a pair there which was made by Mr Bajaj for his wife which are more balanced. If they can do that then they will be much better placed to cater to your rig. If you do not want 4 ohms then please go for atleast 6 ohms which can later on fit in with your home theater or other expansion which you will do in the future. A 4 ohm speaker is difficult load for an AVR. If you do go for 4 Ohm then a cheap option is to go for a Crown or similar power amp. A Crown kind of amp will provide enough juice for any speaker.
Thank you Amarendra, will speak with Laxman again. I have been visiting them Since May, I have heard their towers they sound good (my first entry into audiophile world, not able to discern much). However, it appears their vendor has not been able to deliver the speakers cabinets for almost 3 months now. Also, they way I look it, Mr. Laxman is quite receptive and patient at his age, but he has limitations to make modifications to the set up. I will still ask for this tower that they had built for Mrs. Bajaj. On the other hand if you think with Norge 1000 and Yamaha NS-8390, or Sonodyne 3155, 3165 can give better output, that will be helpful. I have not heard any of them since they are not available for audition in Mumbai.

There is no problem with matching as the company themselves suggest that Gold 1000 can be matched to their towers. Take a demo (must) as I have found bass to be boomy in these towers played with this very same amplifier. However if you have same observation then better go for some other tower speakers. I am using the amp with Wharfedale bookshelf, even the amp is nicely matched with Elac's. The speakers have a minimum and max power requirement that they need from the amp , considering that many towers will match with this amplifier. All the best.
Thank you Shammi Dang. Considering this is my first step into audiophile world, not able to discern much for the boomy bass. As for Whaferdale, the pricing is upwards of 1 lacs, hence a limiting factor. I will mostly go for tower speakers as suggested by you.

As you are in Mumbai, please do a demo with Norge before you proceed with. You can get clarified all your doubts regarding the speaker impedance and capabilities of the amplifier. In normal scenario you will never need to run the amplifier in it's full throttle, same case with the speakers as well.
thank you Premo Dev, I have taken the demo of their Bookshelf and Towers, and may go for the towers. However, their vendor is not able to deliver them the cabinet since May.

I had the demo on 01st July this year and ended up buying Norge 1000 . The Floorstanders were bass heavy and boomy for my taste . Norge 1000 had no issues driving the speaker and it went quite loud .

Get a demo of floorstanders with Norge 2000 also . That will take care of your power requirements . Refer below thread

Thank you cool dude for the advice

No, It doesn't works that way.

Say, If you use 100W amp with 100W (or even 1000W) 8 ohms speakers- this will not stress the amp

4 ohms will give just border line stress depending upon the speakers impedance curve

2 ohms or lower will be very stressful to most amplifier designs unless they have massively paralleled output stages.

Anyways, under normal listening conditions, you would hardly exceed 10W / ch.

In conclusion- impedance of a speaker is the deciding criteria for pairing with any amplifier. Wattage is secondary.
The product you mentioned will work just fine
BTW I don't want to confuse you any further with clipping and distortion resulting in damages due to mismatched amplifier and speaker pairing.
Very good information, I will definitely keep pay attention to this aspect.

Norge 1000 was my first amp too. However, I paired it with Norge bookshelf speakers and enjoyed them for almost 10 years. I had spoken to Sam Bajaj and he had recommended the bookshelves based on my room size.
I recall I wasn't able to find anyone who had a view on , or had used their floorstanders. Since you are in Bombay, it's best to get a demo.
Hi Jaiwant, I have taken demo of their BS and TWR, I am looking to go for their TWR, but they are not available for the reasons I have mentioned in this thread.

Thank you Shammi Dang. Considering this is my first step into audiophile world, not able to discern much for the boomy bass. As for Whaferdale, the pricing is upwards of 1 lacs, hence a limiting factor. I will mostly go for tower speakers as suggested by you.
Invest in good speakers as they last for long long time. As u are building your audio equipment from the beginning, start with Speakers and amplifier first then u can buy other equipment's whenever u have budget. If towers spks are the only one u want then it's different thing otherwise u can buy good bookshelf spks. This way u will have money for other equipment's. In my past I switched from towers to bookshelves but everyone has their personal choice and listening priorities, so take demos and decide, just do not land up for any spks based on cost friendly parameters.

Norge had tower speakers for demo in the month of July which when I went again after 2 or 3 weeks was sold . Maybe if you are sure and you have decided then contact him and pay some advance and book the speakers . From What I know , They don't really stock products now .

Hello,

Many Thanks.​
what is your room size?

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back