Onkyo HT-S3700 suggestions

raghav3276

Hello friends,

I am new to HifiVision, and also quiet new to the HT world.

I am from Hyderabad and looking for a decent set of HT system for around 30K.

My choice of preferences are Movies:70-80%, Music:30-20%.
Room size is 8X6 feet.
Planning to connect the AVR to PC via HDMI(provided by NVIDIA GeForce GT 620), and finally hook the AVR to my 42" LG Cinema 3D.

So far I've narrowed down to Onkyo HT-S3700 (HT-S3700 | ONKYO Asia and Oceania Website). I've gone through the demo of it, and it was quiet good, but lacks bass(must say that I am a bass enthusiast ;).

I've reviewed that Onkyo binds many technologies/per buck when compared to other brands. But, how about the quality? I've also gone through some reviews complaining about overheating of Onkyo AVRs, poor cable quality, HDMI boards being damaged, etc.

I am getting a great deal of it for around 28K.

How far is this decision good?
Are there any other HTiBs out there that could fit in my budget?
If I go for Onkyo 3700, will I be able to upgrade my speaker system that came along with?

Thanks in advance
Raghav.

Hello,

Is there any issue with the question?? Why am I not getting any replies..??

Any way. I got the chance the audition a few HT setups, that I would like to put here :

Onkyo HT-S3700 : This is a HTiB from Onkyo, which was launched in July,2014.
It sounded fine, but was a bit harsh towards the trebles. Also, the bass was pretty dull. Apart from that, it has in-built bluetooth capability, 6 HDMI ports, 4K upscaling, etc etc.
The movie experience was quiet good. I've also streamed audio over bluetooth and even that sounded quiet well.
This costs around 28K

Yamaha YHT-1810 : Even this is a HTiB package. Frankly speaking, the output was very dull. Very very dull! I couldn't feel much power, which I felt in the Onkyo 3700. I've also tried playing music on this(FLAC audio). Although, the quality of Onkyo was much better when compared to this. The music experience was much better than the movie experience. I watch more movies when compared to listening music ;)
I am putting this out of the picture
This costs around 32K.

Harman-Kardon avr 70 + JBL Cinema 510 : The experience was simply awesome. I am not sure was it because of the speakers of the AVR, but it was a complete satisfaction to the heart. I understand that the AVR is a pretty old horse, but still going strong! It has got only three HDMI ports and no bluetooth support.
This costs around 45-50K

The final debate :

-- I am ruling the Yamaha 1810 out of the picture, as I was not at all satisfied with it. I couldn't ignore this more!

-- As I would be using PC as a source(via HDMI), I don't think I require bluetooth at all. Also, in the near future, I see no plans of moving towards a 4K TV. So here, I could give a little edge to H-K+JBL

-- As I would be playing from the PC(I don't own a blu ray player, nor planning to buy one), most of the files are 2 channel sound. I see that the H-K has got Dolby Pro Logic-II and DTS:Neo 6. I think this would refine my music/movie experience to a very high level. I am not much sure about these technologies. I've seen reviews, and from what I understand that it could convert 2.1 to a 5.1 output. I don't think Onkyo 3700's receiver has got that capability, as they have not mentioned anything about these technologies in the specs. Also I am not sure whether H-K avr 70 supports this, as I found a combined manual for avr70/70c,700. I don't actually know whether it corresponds to avr 70 or not. If it supports, I could put more weight onto H-K+JBL. I see that the H-Ks offer more and more surround sound technologies, when compared to Onkyo. (I guess that is why Onkyo is cheap)

-- H-K outputs 75w, where as Onkyo outputs 120w. As my room size is 6x8 feet, I don't think that would make much of a difference. But how about the future proofing? Will I be able to upgrade the H-K, if I plan to move to a bigger room? In this case, I would give more edge towards the Onkyo 3700. But, I think the receiver that I will be getting with Onkyo (393) is a very low end model, but supporting many features. How far am I correct in this scenario?

-- Speaker upgrades?

-- I also found reviews regarding the faulty Onkyo AVRs : Growing hot very quickly, poor cable quality, damaged HDMI boards, etc. I never reviewed any such thing for H-K.

So, finally what is the outcome? Onkyo 3700 or H-K + JBL? I would definitely prefer H-K+JBL, but I am only concerned about the price(around 45-50k). Although, I am getting this set on a 0% EMI basis, thus becoming more tempting option to live with.

Planning to but my first HT in one or two days. Please please please help..!! Really confused.. :sad::sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

Hi Raghav,

I'm also on the same lines on purchasing a HT. I went to Onkyo demo on their own showroom in chennai and auditioned Onkyo low end models. My view is also similar to you that Onkyo low end models don't deliver bass. After that I auditioned Denon AVR x500, x1000 with Denon / pioneer speakers. It also didn't give good bass or quality sound. Then I auditioned HK avr 70 with JBL speakers and it was really good in all aspects ... Bass, surround etc. But the budget comes close to 60k in Chennai.

My initial budget was 30-40k but increased now to 50-60k. With that I plan to buy Pioneer SPFS-42 Andrew jones speakers, yamaha receiver (yet to finalize the model), Polk 200W sub with corresponding speakers. I spoke to 2 agents in chennai and yet to get the quote.

I suggest to go with HK and JBL which is best. Drop the idea of backward support. HK receiver can be used for another 4years I believe.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Frankly speaking, I was totally confused(many sleepless nights). I auditioned as many combinations of AVRs and speakers as possible. To name a few :

Pioneer vsx 923 + Yamaha NS-F140 + Yamaha NS-P60 + Yamaha YST-SW012:
Was actually aiming for Pioneer 323, but they didn't have it up for demo purposes.
Demo played : Fast five(Blu ray). I couldn't even "feel" the movie. The bass was poor.. really really poor. You could hardly even feel its presence.The front speakers were irritating at highs. The surrounds were literally absent..
Next tried playing mp3 on the system and the sounds became even rough. For a moment though I though that my ears might bleed..!
Price quoted for this system was ~55k

Pioneer vsx 923 + Yamaha NS-8900 + Yamaha NS-P60 + Yamaha YST-SW012:
Demo played : Fast five(Blu ray). It was the same combination as the previous one, but a change in the front towers. This was a bit "ok" when compared to the previous front towers. Rest all "noise" continued..
The quality of the mp3 also improved a bit..
Price quoted for this system was ~57k

Pioneer vsx 923 + Polk audio (don't remember the exact model) speaker system :
After denying the above two combos, they suggested me the Polk audio ones.
Repeated the same demos (Fast Five and mp3). Could give a slight edge when compared the above two, but satisfaction was not upto the mark.
Price quoted for this system was ~62k.

Harmon-Kardon avr 70 + JBL Cinema 500 :
I couldn't disagree more on these and went in to audition the H-K and JBL ones again, and, for the second time, my heart was blown away. The surrounds were just out of this world! It were just banging the ears smoothly from behind. Coming to bass, it swept the floor underneath me! You can actually get a near theater experience.
Demo taken : Fast and the furious 6(Blu ray), Dabbang 2(Blu ray).
Also, gone through a few mp3 files and the experience was awesome in stereo, Pro logic II and Neo:6 surround modes.
My mind toggled between JBL Cinema 500 and JBL Cinema 610. Both sounded almost similar to me, but cost difference was around 10k(:O).
Price quoted for this system was ~60k.

Time to announce the results of my first ever HT..

So.. ladies and gentleman.. boys and girls.. (drum rolls).. I am now a proud owner of Harman-Kardon avr 70 + JBL Cinema 500, which after a fine amount of bargaining, came for 57k :)

Huh.. Guess I could sleep happily now, with sheer satisfaction.. ;)

Hi Raghava,

Congratulation on your Home Theater... :clapping:

I am in the process of shortlisting and struggling to make the final decision...

On the face of it Onkyo looks good with 120 watts per channel and 130 watt Sub @ 6 ohms but complete unsatisfied with the demo... Failed to understand where 130 watt sub woofer effect disappeared...

While I was going through the Harman-Kardon avr 70 specs was not very impressed with 75 watts per channel on face of it, I am sure it will be two early to comment as I have not seen the demo. Does this receiver support active sub?

Was quite impressed with Pioneer VSX 323 to keep with in budget and Pioneer VSX 523 was even better with 2 active Sub Woofers... Did you get a chance to check these out before finalizing on Harman-Kardon avr 70...

Please do share the store details to check out the demo of Harman-Kardon avr 70...

Thanks in advance

Vinay

Hi Raghav,

I'm also on the same lines on purchasing a HT. I went to Onkyo demo on their own showroom in chennai and auditioned Onkyo low end models. My view is also similar to you that Onkyo low end models don't deliver bass. After that I auditioned Denon AVR x500, x1000 with Denon / pioneer speakers. It also didn't give good bass or quality sound. Then I auditioned HK avr 70 with JBL speakers and it was really good in all aspects ... Bass, surround etc. But the budget comes close to 60k in Chennai.

My initial budget was 30-40k but increased now to 50-60k. With that I plan to buy Pioneer SPFS-42 Andrew jones speakers, yamaha receiver (yet to finalize the model), Polk 200W sub with corresponding speakers. I spoke to 2 agents in chennai and yet to get the quote.

I suggest to go with HK and JBL which is best. Drop the idea of backward support. HK receiver can be used for another 4years I believe.

HI,
In Chennai, where can we audition the Pioneer sp-fs52 andrew jones Speakers, and what is the price? These speakers have very good reviews to back them up.

Hi Raghava,

Congratulation on your Home Theater... :clapping:

I am in the process of shortlisting and struggling to make the final decision...

On the face of it Onkyo looks good with 120 watts per channel and 130 watt Sub @ 6 ohms but complete unsatisfied with the demo... Failed to understand where 130 watt sub woofer effect disappeared...

While I was going through the Harman-Kardon avr 70 specs was not very impressed with 75 watts per channel on face of it, I am sure it will be two early to comment as I have not seen the demo. Does this receiver support active sub?

Was quite impressed with Pioneer VSX 323 to keep with in budget and Pioneer VSX 523 was even better with 2 active Sub Woofers... Did you get a chance to check these out before finalizing on Harman-Kardon avr 70...

Please do share the store details to check out the demo of Harman-Kardon avr 70...

Thanks in advance

Vinay

Hi Vinay,

Sorry for the delayed response.

You can audition the H-K and JBL at JBL Studio located at Begumpet, just behind the life style building, on the ground floor.

I am sure that you will be impressed by the performance of H-K and JBL. As per your query, yes, it supports active sub. I've purchased JBL Cinema 300 speaker package, which has an active sub.

If you check my previous posts in this thread, you could get my review on Pioneer vsx 923, which is a high end version of 523. Frankly speaking, the setup sounded a bit rough. I am not sure whether it was because of the avr or the speakers combo. Any way, you can audition them at USK Electronics, III-FLOOR, Babukhan Mall, Somajiguda Circle.

I suggest you to try both the stores. Audition as many as possible until you get a clarity.

Hope this helped,
Raghav

Last edited:
Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Frankly speaking, I was totally confused(many sleepless nights). I auditioned as many combinations of AVRs and speakers as possible. To name a few :

Was actually aiming for Pioneer 323, but they didn't have it up for demo purposes.
Demo played : Fast five(Blu ray). I couldn't even "feel" the movie. The bass was poor.. really really poor. You could hardly even feel its presence.The front speakers were irritating at highs. The surrounds were literally absent..
Next tried playing mp3 on the system and the sounds became even rough. For a moment though I though that my ears might bleed..!

Demo played : Fast five(Blu ray). It was the same combination as the previous one, but a change in the front towers. This was a bit "ok" when compared to the previous front towers. Rest all "noise" continued..

Repeated the same demos (Fast Five and mp3). Could give a slight edge when compared the above two, but satisfaction was not upto the mark.

I couldn't disagree more on these and went in to audition the H-K and JBL ones again, and, for the second time, my heart was blown away. The surrounds were just out of this world! It were just banging the ears smoothly from behind. Coming to bass, it swept the floor underneath me! You can actually get a near theater experience.
Also, gone through a few mp3 files and the experience was awesome in stereo, Pro logic II and Neo:6 surround modes.
My mind toggled between JBL Cinema 500 and JBL Cinema 610. Both sounded almost similar to me, but cost difference was around 10k(:O).

So.. ladies and gentleman.. boys and girls.. (drum rolls).. I am now a proud owner of Harman-Kardon avr 70 + JBL Cinema 500, which after a fine amount of bargaining, came for 57k :)

thats good...they r one of the best....

Hai Uttam,

Well, 28k is a hard bargain.
Here in Hyderabad, at Bajaj Electronics, it was quoted for 30k. That store is one of the places where you could get products at better prices. So, I thought it could be brought down to 28k.

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

Have you considered Marantz 1504 + BA X5.1 which is available in reliance digital for a similar price - 56K ?

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back