Online UPS - which make/model to buy?

dnshrajn

Dear FMs

I am looking to buy a UPS for my projector and my PC. I will need very minimal backup since by Inverter will kick-in in seconds time.

Should i go for a normal PC - UPS or an online ups.. I am really confused about the difference between a normal ups and an online ups. Someone pls help me clarify and guide me.

TIA,

Dinesh

I am not so sure now (given advances in technology), but i am given to understand that online ups is a must for your projector. the projector lamp is ata very high temperature and if electricity is cut off, without enough cooling (projector fan stops), that will either damage or decrease the lamp life.
an online ups has atleast one advantage in terms of a faster switching time (seamless) as opposed to an offline ups that has a definite switching time (30ms?). hence an online ups is better.
another thing about the wave- in my home the apc2000w ups takes home electricity converts to dc and reconverts to a pure sine wave 50hz ac signal with no spikes. hence it does not introduce noise to your expensive equipment. my 2c

Online means continuous supply and offline means it'll work only when the power is cut off. So if you already have an inverter, you won't need very expensive online UPS. 1kVA will cost you around 15K.

I am looking to buy a UPS for my projector and my PC. I will need very minimal backup since by Inverter will kick-in in seconds time.

Should i go for a normal PC - UPS or an online ups.
Are they going to be in use simultaneously?
I think any normal UPS should do or even an inverter which has enough power for both.
I have my projector on the house inverter (800VA) and that suffices for smooth shutdown. I run my PC also on the inverter during power outages though both are not in use simultaneously.

Are they going to be in use simultaneously?
I think any normal UPS should do or even an inverter which has enough power for both.
I have my projector on the house inverter (800VA) and that suffices for smooth shutdown. I run my PC also on the inverter during power outages though both are not in use simultaneously.

Yes.. both will be in use simultaneously most of the time

These are the specs of the vertex 3kva stabilizer. Are there anything else to consider?

Input 1.5 M Cable with 5A Plug, output 4 nos of 5A Socket.
2). Dimension H: 34 Cm W: 22 Cm D: 44 Cm
3). Weight Approx.: 15 28 KG
4). Servo Stabilizer single phase input and Single Phase output
5). Regulation range 170V 270V output 230V +/-1%
6). Built in Double Stage EMI/RFI filter
7). Built In Spike suppressor MOV Spike range upto 8 KA Max.
8). LCD display for input voltage and output voltage

Many equipment manufacturers recommend against using the home inverter. It does not take over seamlessly (without a voltage drop), does not give a perfect sine wave (although many claim to) and does not stabilize the voltage. Therefore, we need a solution that is connected directly to mains power. There are 3 options:
1. Online UPS
2. CVT (Constant voltage transformer)
3. Voltage stabilizer

Both 1 and 2 produce a hum of around 45db which may not be acceptable. The voltage stabilizer also has a hum, but much softer, around 25 db. For my audio equipment, I connect Option 3 to the mains power and let it shut off when the power goes.Vertex is excellent. They will also customize the unit to match your needs.

Good options are Liebert & Eaton (OEM for Leibert) . 1KVA Models would cost around 12-13K and should be sufficient for most setups- don't merely go by the listed Power consumption figures on your equipment, try to measure them before hand.

Dear FMs

Should i go for a normal PC - UPS or an online ups.. I am really confused about the difference between a normal ups and an online ups. Someone pls help me clarify and guide me.

TIA,

Dinesh

I am using my Epson TW5210 and HTPC on a regular 1080vA UPS. Epson's highest rating is 220 watt and my HTPC is of another ~200 watt (with 53 TDP processor, SSD and fan-less GPU).

Bought from shop around SP road for around 3800/- in Bangalore.

And so far there is no issue at all. On power cut, PC or projector does not get restarted, switch over is smooth. Using the UPS for last 3-4 months. My apartment's power backup comes up within 5-10 sec. So not sure about backup time.

As per the manufacturer, the switch over time in 4 - 8ms. and it is simulated sine wave. If you are yet to buy one, you can consider this, may not be best solution for long time or continuous use, but I guess enough for those 10 sec or in worst case, time to gracefully shut down the system.

These are the specs of the vertex 3kva stabilizer. Are there anything else to consider?

Input 1.5 M Cable with 5A Plug, output 4 nos of 5A Socket.
2). Dimension H: 34 Cm W: 22 Cm D: 44 Cm
3). Weight Approx.: 15 28 KG
4). Servo Stabilizer single phase input and Single Phase output
5). Regulation range 170V 270V output 230V +/-1%
6). Built in Double Stage EMI/RFI filter
7). Built In Spike suppressor MOV Spike range upto 8 KA Max.
8). LCD display for input voltage and output voltage

Have you bought it?

Does it make sense to add the lightning surge protection to your stabilizer? Its an additional 6500/-

I have added one Belkin Surge protector to my Servi stabilizer .. but it costs me around 1500, which surge protector you are referring to ? Could you please share the link ! i may be interested to buy that !

On re-reading some other threads, I am planning to buy APC online UPS 2kva.

The advantages - Full isolation from power fluctuations, harmonics, EMI/RFI, small internal battery to have graceful shutdown.

Disadvantages - Price

The Vertex Servo is around 16k plus 6.5k for lighting surges plus around 3k for ups for the projector comes to 25k.

The APC one is 40k.

Others are cheaper (like Emerson) but not sure of their service, so would stick to APC/Schnieder.

Great! Let us know how it performs. I'm concerned about the hum/noise level which i found unacceptable as my unit, another brand, would be in the same room as the audio equipment. So I settled for a Vertex 2 kva Servo stabilizer which is relatively silent.

By the way, i think there is a used APC available on the forum. Don't remember who.

Best

On re-reading some other threads, I am planning to buy APC online UPS 2kva.

The advantages - Full isolation from power fluctuations, harmonics, EMI/RFI, small internal battery to have graceful shutdown.

Disadvantages - Price

The Vertex Servo is around 16k plus 6.5k for lighting surges plus around 3k for ups for the projector comes to 25k.

The APC one is 40k.

Others are cheaper (like Emerson) but not sure of their service, so would stick to APC/Schnieder.
APC is one of the best especially in after sales service, at least in the metros. I'm using one for the projector since 3 yrs (cheaper non online version) absolutely no issues.

There's one - of 3kva capacity on hifiads.com in Bangalore itself, check it out.

Since last 2 years I am using Emerson Liebert GXT MT+ CX 3 kVA - Standard Battery unit. Works flawlessly.
Only issue is very noisy fans (2 nos). So I replaced them with silent fans.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back