Open source wiim equivalent device via Linux?

Raspberry pi with open source software and a hat gets you most of the way there. The big issue would be Tidal and Qobuz integration

Wanted to talk about this plan...how does one make an wiim equivalent device via Linux?
Mbhanghui sir please help ..
Thank you!
If you are game, we can do it step by step. Get a RaspberryPI and I will tell you how to set it up. What you will get

1. spotify
2. Airplay
3. mpd (to play local content, qobuz and tidal). Tidal is anyway a lossy farce so you may want to ignore that and save money there

What you will not get

1. Ability to do google cast. So you can't natively do YT music, but If you have a macbook or an IOS device, you can stream YTmusic through airplay.
2. Since this is linux, you cannot have apple music. But If you have an andriod, IOS, or macbook, you can use airplay

If you need DSD capability, I suggest you get any USB dac with DSD capability. The toppings DACs are excellent and will cost you around 10k or so. The Raspberry PI will cost you Rs 4000 or so (I haven't checked the prices lately). If you have a Linux laptop, that too can be used and will be better than RPI because of a large integrated display.

Last edited:
If you are game, we can do it step by step. Get a RaspberryPI and I will tell you how to set it up. What you will get

1. spotify
2. Airplay
3. mpd (to play local content, qobuz and tidal). Tidal is anyway a lossy farce so you may want to ignore that and save money there

What you will not get

1. Ability to do google cast. So you can't natively do YT music, but If you have a macbook or an IOS device, you can stream YTmusic through airplay.
2. Since this is linux, you cannot have apple music. But If you have an andriod, IOS, or macbook, you can use airplay
Raspberry pi...I have one...used to deploy them as iot devices earlier
Am familiar with raspbian and using a raspberry pi flashing SD cards and all.
However. I have a macbook Pro running Ubuntu running Spotify GUI.
Tell me on that...one issue I have been having is that Spotify GUI on Ubuntu is sometimes crashing...like once in two weeks.
Is there a way I can have better uptime?
Also....you have introduced me to music player daemon and cantata. But I haven't used it much...

Raspberry pi...I have one...used to deploy them as iot devices earlier
Am familiar with raspbian and using a raspberry pi flashing SD cards and all.
However. I have a macbook Pro running Ubuntu running Spotify GUI.
Tell me on that...one issue I have been having is that Spotify GUI on Ubuntu is sometimes crashing...like once in two weeks.
Is there a way I can have better uptime?
Also....you have introduced me to music player daemon and cantata. But I haven't used it much...
Ubuntu has created a nightmare using their snap store. Ubuntu wants to control you like googly, m$soft and force you to use their appstore. And that is evil. Anything from snap crashes frequently including firefox. Almost everything comes through the snap store. One big reason I stay away from Ubuntu. My desktop of choice for the last 21 years has been Fedora. Archlinux and openSUSE tumbleweed are equally good.

Even RedHat is now putting a snap equivalent (flatpaks) and one of these days I might move to archlinux. Thankfully you don't have a commercial entity spoiling the fun. Debian will never be something I will ever recommend. They are always behind and what you get is old software

Ubuntu has created a nightmare using their snap store. Ubuntu wants to control you like googly, m$soft and force you to use their appstore. And that is evil. Anything from snap crashes frequently including firefox. Almost everything comes through the snap store. One big reason I stay away from Ubuntu. My desktop of choice for the last 21 years has been Fedora. Archlinux and openSUSE tumbleweed are equally good.
Spotify using apt get and update repository etc? How?

Will find out and confirm
You must have installed it from the ubuntu gui for software. It will install it from it's snap store. I have been using spotify connect on all my raspberry PIs and my Linux laptops. It uses open source project named librespot on github. Till date it has never crashed.

If you need DSD capability, I suggest you get any USB dac with DSD capability. The toppings DACs are excellent and will cost you around 10k or so. The Raspberry PI will cost you Rs 4000 or so (I haven't checked the prices lately). If you have a Linux laptop, that too can be used and will be better than RPI because of a large integrated display.

I possess a topping d10s DAC which has DSD facility.

I just remembered that I use ubuntu 22.04 on my banana PIs. I use librespot and it never crashes. With fedora or archlinux there is a learning curve. The biggest advantage of Ubuntu is for the newbies. It has the proprietary drivers for broadcom and so wifi mostly works out of the box. Also on my macbooks I use Fedora. It is better than Mac OS, but there will be a learning curve installing the wifi drivers.

Excellent. That will work with RPI or any linux distribution without installing any drivers.
Yes it is already working on the Ubuntu Linux apple macbook without any special drivers....wanted to understand how to make use of the DSD facility? By using mpd?
I think one will have to possess FLAC s and DSD files

stay away from snaps. snaps is equivalent of the googly playstore. Few months back I solved firefox issue for my friend who runs a big leather goods factory. He has been using Ubuntu for last many years. Recent updates installed snap versions and for the first time he was frustrated using linux. Had to tell him that Ubuntu is a commercial company like RedHat. All they care is how to extract money from you. Had to teach him how to use apt-get to install native open source software instead of software from snap playstore. All is good now. He gifted me plenty of leather goodies including executive bags.

This comment is from a reddit user. See his comments on spotify
When I went back to Linux 2+ years ago I nearly went back to Windows because of snaps. I was once again a beginner and one of the first words that I pronounced into my first Linux sessions were "F*ck, I swear the most amateur and shady Windows app installers gave me less problems than this."

I later learned they were snaps. Purged snapd and reinstalled everything that was gone through apt: boom, my computer was fast and functional again. Thankfully, Snaps were an exception and not a sign of things to come. If Snap was the standard, I wouldn't be here.

Out of a more recent experience, they still haven't improved. 100% CPU usage to launch Spotify snap is too much dude.

(Random bit of insight: when a complete non-technical beginner who is not interested in the system internals learns the name of a system internal, we failed. It means they had a blocking problem with something and they were forced to Google solutions for it. That was snaps for me, had they worked properly it wouldn't have taken me 20 minutes from first boot to learning what they were called to remove them, I would have gone months not knowing the difference. Snaps fail at this spectacularly.)

Upvote23

You must have installed it from the ubuntu gui for software. It will install it from it's snap store. I have been using spotify connect on all my raspberry PIs and my Linux laptops. It uses open source project named librespot on github. Till date it has never crashed.
Let me get rid of Spotify GUI on Ubuntu and install librespot from here and report back.

Yes it is already working on the Ubuntu Linux apple macbook without any special drivers....wanted to understand how to make use of the DSD facility? By using mpd?
I think one will have to possess FLAC s and DSD files
You can take advantage of DSD if you have SACD disks. If you don't have, then be resourceful (you know what I mean). But IMHO, If you have CDs, rip them to convert them to flac. flacon is one such software. Don't be so anal about formats. I have MP3 that sound better than flacs (especially Hindustani Classical). It all depends on the source material.

You can take advantage of DSD if you have SACD disks. If you don't have, then be resourceful (you know what I mean). But IMHO, If you have CDs, rip them to convert them to flac. flacon is one such software. Don't be so anal about formats. I have MP3 that sound better than flacs (especially Hindustani Classical). It all depends on the source material.
Sir I'll describe my chain right now:
1. Spotify streamer as above.
2.Harman kardon AVR amplifier high current AVR. 100 good watts and 28 amperes high current capacity.
3. Frieds floorstanding transmission line speakers 🔊
Abhi sound is okay at all volumes...high volumes also coherence is preserved.
Feedback?
Thank you.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back