Open source wiim equivalent device via Linux?

Wanted to talk about this plan...how does one make an wiim equivalent device via Linux?
Mbhanghui sir please help ..
Thank you!
No matter what you do, you will always be wanting something like Wiim. If you want to do the research, then its okay, else if you want to get down to enjoying music quickly, pick up a Wiim.

MaSh

No matter what you do, you will always be wanting something like Wiim. If you want to do the research, then its okay, else if you want to get down to enjoying music quickly, pick up a Wiim.

MaSh
Das is true.
However I have deployed hundreds of raspberry pi s as iot devices in the wild . So I am aware of the fun that can be had doing this. And the interesting thing is that once you have a recipe you can pretty much write it down in a flowchart and duplicate the formula en masse. In affect making your own affordable wiim equivalent device.

Das is true.
However I have deployed hundreds of raspberry pi s as iot devices in the wild . So I am aware of the fun that can be had doing this. And the interesting thing is that once you have a recipe you can pretty much write it down in a flowchart and duplicate the formula en masse. In affect making your own affordable wiim equivalent device.
True. for someone like me who knows ins and outs of linux, wiim is a poor substitute. Once you master the trick, there is no looking back. Wiim is for the masses, while a customized solution is for the PROs.

Not bragging, but in 2014 I made a linux based streamer for 7x11 stores in US for playing legally obtained music. It would run for weeks, non-stop without a glitch compared to the existing android based player which would have to be restarted every now and then.

Fun Fact. wiim is linux based. Not android and not windowsScreenshot 2024-07-19 at 23.04.57.png

Last edited:
Das is true.
Oh thats awesome then. Do document the build in a new thread. Would be great read and maybe an inspiration for some.

MaSh

Oh thats awesome then. Do document the build in a new thread. Would be great read and maybe an inspiration for some.

MaSh
I will try. I did try but I'm stuck with making videos. Don't have any knowledge in this field. But will try to make screenshots, text, etc

Update...just installed raspotify on the same Ubuntu machine as given above the same recipe by raspotify on raspberry Pi by mbhanghui sir. Working okay.
Note: wasn't able to uninstall Spotify GUI... it wasn't showing up
Sudo apt remove Spotify
And
Sudo snap remove Spotify
Both did not work!

Update...just installed raspotify on the same Ubuntu machine as given above the same recipe by raspotify on raspberry Pi by mbhanghui sir. Working okay.
Note: wasn't able to uninstall Spotify GUI... it wasn't showing up
Sudo apt remove Spotify
And
Sudo snap remove Spotify
Both did not work!
I think you have to remove using the ubuntu 'Software' gui. Snap are self sufficient but are awful because every snap invocation loads the same libraries again and again. Big reason I stay away from Ubuntu.

Next thing you can install is shairport-sync which wil make your ubuntu an airplay device

I think you have to remove using the ubuntu 'Software' gui. Snap are self sufficient but are awful because every snap invocation loads the same libraries again and again. Big reason I stay away from Ubuntu.

Next thing you can install is shairport-sync which wil make your ubuntu an airplay device
Ubuntu software gui didn't show up Spotify GUI.
Ubuntu App store GUI didn't show up Spotify GUI.
When I searched for Spotify in the above gui s it showed that Spotify is not installed and gave me an option to install the Spotify GUI.

Please do guide me on installing shairport sync on my Ubuntu GUI server?? What recipe should I follow.

Ubuntu software gui didn't show up Spotify GUI.
Ubuntu App store GUI didn't show up Spotify GUI.
When I searched for Spotify in the above gui s it showed that Spotify is not installed and gave me an option to install the Spotify GUI.
Then your spotify is a browser shortcut (chrome browser web app). Just delete the shortcut

Anyone who has tried out mopidy?
Yes. It offers the same thing that mpd does and is written in pythion insead of C. Any mpd client that works with mpd will work with mopidy. You can use mopidy to play sound on chromecast too.

However I find mpd faster and better than mopidy. One advantage of mopidy is that it is easer to setup than mpd because it is browser based. I stay away from browser and browser based apps like whatsapp, because it kills my productivity as I have to lift my hand from the keyboard.

If in an alternate universe there is a version of me who uses the web browser, then I would probably be use squeezelite squeezebox. It provides everything (chromecast, airplay, spotify) and a beautiful interface with multiple skins. There is a raspberry pi distribution based on squeezebox - picoreplayer.

Last edited:
And
Yes. It offers the same thing that mpd does and is written in pythion insead of C. Any mpd client that works with mpd will work with mopidy. You can use mopidy to play sound on chromecast too.

However I find mpd faster and better than mopidy. One advantage of mopidy is that it is easer to setup than mpd because it is browser based. I stay away from browser and browser based apps like whatsapp, because it kills my productivity as I have to lift my hand from the keyboard.

If in an alternate universe there is a version of me who uses the web browser, then I would probably be use squeezelite squeezebox. It provides everything (chromecast, airplay, spotify) and a beautiful interface with multiple skins. There is a raspberry pi distribution based on squeezebox - picoreplayer.
Squeezelite also works and installs on Ubuntu sir? Any references to the same? BTW the raspotify on Ubuntu is working well and stable in my Ubuntu Linux server laptop on MacBook Pro

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back