Optoma HD 20 dead ? Lamp fail status

yahoo0212

Hii
I had purchased my Optoma HD20 from amazon.com in Feb 2012... but got it installed jus few months back...
It was lying with me only unused since 2012...as HT rrom was in progress...
But now,, after few hours of Projector usage the Optoma HD20 has stopped working and it doesnt even startup. The following LED s are glowing on the panel
1. On/Standby LED----> Flashing Amber
2. Lamp LED----> None
3. Temp LED--> Red steady

I checked the manual and it refers to Lamp-Fail..
I am surprised how can the lamp fail in such a short duration of usage... max 30-40 hours till date.
But yes the Projector has been lying idle since 2 years.. is it due to this that the lamp s dead now???
please help .. and also where can i get it repaired / lamp replaced.

Last edited:
You say flashing amber, temp led red. As per the pic, it means over temp. Give it some time to cool down or try again when its cool. Also check if the venting fan in the projector is spinning when you turn it on.

If it's lamp failure, then the lamp led will be steady red.

Try running this on ECO mode, if you have not tried it yet. I think over heat is the issue here.

Recently I checked with Amazon US via email - if anything will happen to lamp if unused for long time.I got a reply that no issues should occur, as lamps do not have any shelf life (mine is unused for 6 months and may be for another 2 years!)

Another member faced a similar issue but on Epson and running on ECO helped him. Link below.

http://www.hifivision.com/home-theatre-projectors-screens/52729-heating-issue-epson-2030-a.html

Last edited:
Sorry ... i think i mentioned the LED s wrong...COrrected..
1. On/Standby LED----> Flashing Amber
2. Temp LED----> None
3. Lamp LED--> Red steady

With some new purchases of Projectors, the company or dealers offer the projectors at a reduced price with a demo lamp, that will work as expected but you will not get the full life span of the lamp. Guess it could be a demo lamp that was supplied to you with the projector.

Try taking out the lamp and inspect it. See if the filament is broken or bulb has black surrounding. If it is not, then try putting it back in. Lamp errors are also shown when the bulb is not able to fire up. Sometimes, reseating the lamp helps in getting bulb fired up if its not blown already.

If its blown up, then it could have caused by any reason. Voltage fluctuation, over heating, moving the projector while bulb was still hot and last but not the least, "just like that". Yes, things like that do happen. If its blown, I am afraid you have no choice but to replace the lamp. :(

Try taking out the lamp and inspect it. See if the filament is broken or bulb has black surrounding. If it is not, then try putting it back in. Lamp errors are also shown when the bulb is not able to fire up. Sometimes, reseating the lamp helps in getting bulb fired up if its not blown already.

If its blown up, then it could have caused by any reason. Voltage fluctuation, over heating, moving the projector while bulb was still hot and last but not the least, "just like that". Yes, things like that do happen. If its blown, I am afraid you have no choice but to replace the lamp. :(

The Lamp s not blown. I checked it by taking out the lamp unit. The filament is intact and there is no black surrounding either.
And for resetting the lamp, the pj has to start once... so that i can reset it.. Is there any other way i can reset the lamp.

The Lamp s not blown. I checked it by taking out the lamp unit. The filament is intact and there is no black surrounding either.
And for resetting the lamp, the pj has to start once... so that i can reset it.. Is there any other way i can reset the lamp.

I meant re-seating the lamp, not resetting. Put the lamp back in. it will re-seat it. Try if it works.

Since the lamp is not blown, try contacting Optoma service and see what they say about this issue.

Try chatting with Amazon and tell them your story. They may not be able to help much, but as your's a genuine case in terms of bulb failing within in 2-3 months of usage (though not out of initial 90 day warranty), they may be able to refund some amount. Just a try...

I guess you need to at least get a professional opinion in regard to the bulb. Its best to consult any dealer who can check and evaluate the actual situation and then you may be in the right part on how to proceed with the replacement or repair as required. Try justdial.com for a local authorized service center.

I guess you need to at least get a professional opinion in regard to the bulb. Its best to consult any dealer who can check and evaluate the actual situation and then you may be in the right part on how to proceed with the replacement or repair as required. Try justdial.com for a local authorized service center.

Fortunately,, to my surprise I have found that Optoma s website mentions a service center which repairs Optoma Projectors at Guwahati. I spoke to them , and they said that they Do repair Optoma PJ s. Will visit the service centre soon.

Fortunately,, to my surprise I have found that Optoma s website mentions a service center which repairs Optoma Projectors at Guwahati. I spoke to them , and they said that they Do repair Optoma PJ s. Will visit the service centre soon.

Let's hope the outcome of your visit will resolve the problem.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back