Optoma HD20 projector - bang sound and smoky smell

chindo

Hi guys,

I hope I'm posting this in the right place - apologies if not.

I've recently encountered a problem with my HD20 projector. The other day when watching TV, the projector suddenly made a big bang sound and the image went completely. A smoky smell then came from the projector (never a good sign) and the projector had a constant red light on with a flashing orange light as well.

I'm not too 'clued up' on this kind of stuff so I was just hoping to find some advice on what the problem may be, whether it sounds like the lamp has just blown or perhaps something else? The lamp had around 2000 hours on it the last time I checked (a couple of weeks ago).

Thanks in advance for any help!

It looks like the lamp has gone kaput or the power supply has failed.
You may have to take it to the service centre to know the exact reason.

It looks like the lamp has gone kaput or the power supply has failed.
You may have to take it to the service centre to know the exact reason.

Thanks for the reply Santy.

I was thinking of buying a new lamp and replacing in the hope that it was that, but it might be safer to get someone else to look at it like you say if it's not something that can be determined so easily.

Thanks again :)

You can always open the lamp housing and check out the lamp. It's a user replaceable part and won't void warranty (if you have any). Might save you a trip.

You can always open the lamp housing and check out the lamp. It's a user replaceable part and won't void warranty (if you have any). Might save you a trip.

But what if the lamp is fine and the PSU had failed.
Also if it is under warranty, we don't have to pay for lamp replacement either.
Not sure about other PJs but I cannot replace the lamp without breaking the warranty seal on my PJ.

Well, if PSU is failed then he has to take it to repair center. But if the lamp is gone, then he can replace it.

Almost all projectors I have seen have user replaceable lamps. Not sure about India, but in US, these do not have any warranty seals on the lamp housing. Usually one screw and the lamp housing comes out.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back