Planning to upgrade from Dali Zensor 7

rajivaryan1984

Dear FM,

I am planning to upgrade from my Dali Z7 FS speakers. The speakers will get the power from PM7005 and in future Marantz AV receiver SR6013 or next. It will be used for 80% music and 20% movies and will be placed in a living room. Since I am bit of a bass lover so need the same feature in the new speakers. Budget is from 1 Lakh to 1.2 Lakhs INR. Kindly recommend as I have shortlisted couple below but not sure if they are better than Z7 --

1. Opticon 6
2. SVS Prime XT

I have heard the Dali5 and they are very good speakers and the difference in Source made a huge difference with them. Whats the Source you are using ?
I doubt if for the money you will spend, an AVR is the right approach for Music anyway and you can do a lot more by spending the same on a better amp or more importantly the source.

The Dali Z5 is supposed to be more musical than the Z7.
So, maybe, the 5 with a good sub?
80% music. Stereo amp all the way.
What's the room size? Living room, bedroom, dedicated?

Dear FM,

I am planning to upgrade from my Dali Z7 FS speakers. The speakers will get the power from PM7005 and in future Marantz AV receiver SR6013 or next. It will be used for 80% music and 20% movies and will be placed in a living room. Since I am bit of a bass lover so need the same feature in the new speakers. Budget is from 1 Lakh to 1.2 Lakhs INR. Kindly recommend as I have shortlisted couple below but not sure if they are better than Z7 --

1. Opticon 6
2. SVS Prime XT
I have said this to you before. Will repeat again.
You mentioned that you will be moving to a new place very soon.
Host the existing speaker/system there first; learn about the room.
Then make any upgrades and/or purchases.
Cheers,
Raghu

Very sensible advice from @raghupb
Don't jump the gun.
Set up the existing equipment in the new place and only then look for alternatives.

Saw this from FM @firearm12 on another thread
Patience and good listening is the key. I am yet to see a system that cant be improved with just patience and careful experimentation with different variables like speaker positioning, cables, room changes to suit ones taste and get satisfaction. Changing hardware should be the last option unless one just hates his equipment ( ofcourse the more you spend better gets the end result)

Last edited:
I have heard the Dali5 and they are very good speakers and the difference in Source made a huge difference with them. Whats the Source you are using ?
I doubt if for the money you will spend, an AVR is the right approach for Music anyway and you can do a lot more by spending the same on a better amp or more importantly the source.

Vinyls (Denon DP200), Yamaha Stereo deck, PM7006, NA8005, CD6006

The Dali Z5 is supposed to be more musical than the Z7.
So, maybe, the 5 with a good sub?
80% music. Stereo amp all the way.
What's the room size? Living room, bedroom, dedicated?
Living room..can u recommend an amp. And how I can add my existing sources like Yamaha Stereo Deck, DP200 Denon for Vinyls, NA8005, CD6006

I have said this to you before. Will repeat again.
You mentioned that you will be moving to a new place very soon.
Host the existing speaker/system there first; learn about the room.
Then make any upgrades and/or purchases.
Cheers,
Raghu
Not happy with the current performance of Z7 so looking for something better

The NA8005 is a quite capable source, specially when paired with Marantz amps like I have done. The Zesnor 7s are good speakers but definitely not the most resolving or luscious midrange.
Having said that I am also curious as to what the OP thinks he is missing. At times it is not that easy to put in words, you know it is not quite how you want it to be but very difficult to quantify it.

The NA8005 is a quite capable source, specially when paired with Marantz amps like I have done. The Zesnor 7s are good speakers but definitely not the most resolving or luscious midrange.
Having said that I am also curious as to what the OP thinks he is missing. At times it is not that easy to put in words, you know it is not quite how you want it to be but very difficult to quantify it.
Exactly

I have audition Dali Zenser 7 in past and to my test they are bright and less refined in compare to similarly price speakers. I have also audition KEF Q700/900 and Monitor Audio Bronze 5/7 and both are more detail, insightful and musical. Both have strong and focus center image. KEF are little soft and polite towards low end compare to MA. Source, interconnect,speakers cable , speakers placement , banana plugs and room acoustics play a major role in defining the sound characteristic of a stereo set up. There are many FM who are happy with Dali Zenser 7 and selected Zenser 7 over ot her brands after rigorous audition. Initially experiment with components, placement, audio setting , take advice from FM etc. Upgradation is a path always open for you and you can walk on it whenever you feel to but you will learn a lot from playing with your equipment.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back