Please guide me what should i buy

Johny,
Couple of questions.
Is your listening space a 12x12 dedicated room for AV or shared space like a living room?
When you mean 7.1 are you really looking for surrounds and surround-back speakers or is because you want the flexibility of converting to 5.1.2 with 2 height channels?

Why these questions are pertinent to the decision making you may ask.
If it is a dedicated room, you have some leeway in terms of real estate allocation to L/C/R and sub.
If it is a shared living space, you may be restricted moderately/severely in terms of speaker placement.

In general, the front plane of your L/R and possibly C speakers are going to be at least 2 feet (if not more) from the wall facing you.
Lets assume the L/R separation you can get is at max 8 feet. This would mean you practical seating position would be about 6-8 feet from speaker plane.
This does not allow sufficient space for a set of surround-back speakers. So you will practically be limited to a 5.1 set up.
If you want great surround experience, you may opt for back wall mounted dipole/bipole speakers.

Subs are tricky beasts. In an apartment they can cause headaches to your neighbors below you.
And their best positioning would not be the most practical position.

So when auditioning, please do evaluate the following combinations:
L/R only, L/R + sub, L/C/R only, L/C/R + sub, all speakers
L+R rendition is very important for 2 channel music and background score in movies; so put a good bit of money down here
C is paramount for movie dialog
Sub of course for those explosions and rumblings
Surrounds for the bullet whizzing, birds chirping, and gaming experience etc, etc
Sub/surrounds are really not required for drama movies, but do add excitement in action/horror movies.

Once you are firm on 5.1 or 5.1.2 your auditions will be meaningful as they can be correlated from demo room to your room.
Suggestion of brands will make sense when you have auditioned a few combos and you have some initial impressions.

My set up is Marantz AVR + KEF speakers for L/R + B&W Center/Surrounds (currently not hooked up due to real estate limitations and alternate arrangements).
I do not have a sub due to space and other constraints.
The fronts do quite a bit of heavy lifting on their own, so it is working out reasonably in my listening space.

Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Raghu

@Raghu - Thanks a lot for such valuable inputs mate. All this info. from your is a great help. As far as your questions are concerned:

- Yes mate 12x12 is my dedicated room for AV. Nothing shared in it. Totally dedicated for pure movie, music and gaming.
- By 7.1 what i actually mean is pure surround back speakers i.e. [L/R/C/LS/RS/LB/RB/Sub]

I took the auditions today like you have suggested here L/R only, L/R + sub, L/C/R only, L/C/R + sub, all speakers on the basis of that only i liked the Tannoy setup which is 5.1. But i want to audition more brands so that i can have a fair idea before buying them.

@afj - Sure mate do you know any addresses of dealers for these brands in Delhi?

- Yes mate 12x12 is my dedicated room for AV. Nothing shared in it. Totally dedicated for pure movie, music and gaming.
- By 7.1 what i actually mean is pure surround back speakers i.e. [L/R/C/LS/RS/LB/RB/Sub]

Ah so it is a den. Good you have some flexibility w.r.t equipment placement.
Audition 5.1 and 7.1. You may end up buying an AVR that supports 7.1 (future proofing).
If you end up with only with 5.1 speakers, no loss; you may have the opportunity to bi-amp the front 2 speakers.

Hopefully, NCR FMs will chime in with dealer info.
ProFx is the dealer/distributor for Denon/Yamaha/Pioneer AVRs and KEF/Polk speakers. They have a presence in Delhi. Check their website.

Cheers,
Raghu

Any good suggestions for Integrated Amp in this budget? Also, what I have learnt so far is that AVR-X7200W - Denon is the best top of the line AVR. Is it worth buying ?? Please suggest.

Hi

For AVRs look at Pioneer LX series, Marantz SR series, NADs

For integrated look at Denon PMA 1520 or 2020...also the Marantz Reference series...

The names you have shortlisted should be good for stereo set up but as per your initial post it seems that you need surround system (Gaming, Movies). I have not heard much about surround systems from these companies. Hence you can look at the following brands. Try to get as much demo as possible and decide.

AVRs - Pioneer, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo
Speakers - Dali, KEF, Klipsch, Monitor Audio, Wharfedale, Tannoy

Some Dealers:
Bass N Treble (Ghitorni, M G Road) (Must visit)
Sound and Vision (MG Road)
Lakozy (Lajpat Nagar)
Onkyo store (GK)

Edit: Seems like I did not see all the threads but store information may still be relevant :)

Last edited:
@efernand1 - Thanks mate. Any specific models if you can suggest in Marantz and Pioneer. I am looking for 4K models. Can you suggest the best model i can get in this price range.

@Vinay2013 - Thanks buddy. I'll try and schedule demos asap. Yes Bass N Treble is in my list already but as it's in Gurgaon so have to take out time specially to visit them. Pretty far from my place. Rest will check out soon. Any specific models of AVR's and Speakers you wanna suggest?

@Vinay2013 - Thanks buddy. I'll try and schedule demos asap. Yes Bass N Treble is in my list already but as it's in Gurgaon so have to take out time specially to visit them. Pretty far from my place. Rest will check out soon. Any specific models of AVR's and Speakers you wanna suggest?

They are in Delhi itself. Yes near to Gurgaon. There are three good demo points/ showrooms in MG Road so you can plan accordingly. You must call before your visit to get proper attention and time.

I think all the newer models should have 4k capability. May be Marantz 5008/9and above, Denon 1000 and above, Pioneer 924/5 and above. I am not very sure about the latest models.

Visit some places for auditions and see what is available in your budget and a second visit for critical listening and final decision.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back