Power protection on a STRICT budget.

dafreaking

I've recently purchased a pre-owned Yamaha HTR-2071 AV Receiver (This is usually bundled with the YHT-1840). Based in Gurgaon

In my current house (rented) we have a backup generator that takes about 30 seconds to kick in and with the scorching heat some unpredictable power cuts. While voltage fluctuations aren't crazy sometimes the voltage does drop to 195+ in my home office and my current UPS fans kicks in. I have 2 APC Backups Pros. 1 for the workstation and one for my NAS, etc

I'm looking for some kind of protection and back-up on a strict budget of Rs. 5000 given the cost of the AVR. All other threads here seem to have solutions that cost probably more than what was paid for the receiver. The room that has the receiver has an AC. And in this weather it's usually one when I'm in that room.

What would be the best strategy to address this in the given budget.

I've recently purchased a pre-owned Yamaha HTR-2071 AV Receiver (This is usually bundled with the YHT-1840). Based in Gurgaon

In my current house (rented) we have a backup generator that takes about 30 seconds to kick in and with the scorching heat some unpredictable power cuts. While voltage fluctuations aren't crazy sometimes the voltage does drop to 195+ in my home office and my current UPS fans kicks in. I have 2 APC Backups Pros. 1 for the workstation and one for my NAS, etc

I'm looking for some kind of protection and back-up on a strict budget of Rs. 5000 given the cost of the AVR. All other threads here seem to have solutions that cost probably more than what was paid for the receiver. The room that has the receiver has an AC. And in this weather it's usually one when I'm in that room.

I have generator backup in my apartment complex. But I always bolt for the wall whenever the power goes off. I do have power protection equipment, but dont want to chance finding out if they actually work if i can help it :p

It is the high voltage (> 250 volts) that is a problem thanks to the new Electricity standards. Install a high voltage low voltage cut out. It will cost < rs 2000. Even a relay based stabilizer will protect you from high voltage faster than a servo. A relay based stabilzer will cost you < rs 5000 and will keep the voltage in check below 240 volts.

If you want continuous voltage stabilization perfect than servo or static stabilizer are options. But servo is slow to respond and a rapid high voltage increase is not something servo can handle fast enough. These two options will cost a bomb and IMHO a total waste as it is not going to increase the clarity or quality of the audio even by .000005 %

I'm not looking at the effects that it will have on the audio quality per se. Just trying to ensure that nothing goes kaput due to sudden power outages.

What about something like a NEXTRON Voltage Stabilizer https://amzn.in/d/aoO9Hl7 coupled with a regular APC UPS https://amzn.in/d/4p9oAAm

Won't be running it on battery backup for more than 30 seconds.

I'm not looking at the effects that it will have on the audio quality per se. Just trying to ensure that nothing goes kaput due to sudden power outages.

What about something like a NEXTRON Voltage Stabilizer https://amzn.in/d/aoO9Hl7 coupled with a regular APC UPS https://amzn.in/d/4p9oAAm

Won't be running it on battery backup for more than 30 seconds.
The nextron stabilizer doesn't have any output power rating. It is just enough for a tv. Get a higher rated stabilizer. Approx cost of such a stabilizer will be between Rs 1500 to Rs 2000 and will be larger size than the above due to more and thicker winding

The nextron stabilizer doesn't have any output power rating. It is just enough for a tv. Get a higher rated stabilizer. Approx cost of such a stabilizer will be between Rs 1500 to Rs 2000 and will be larger size than the above due to more and thicker winding
So stuff that's used for ACs? Can I use a UPS with it?

So stuff that's used for ACs? Can I use a UPS with it?
Sure Yes sure. I use that. These stabilizers can take high load. Before the stabilizer I have the high voltage cutout too. During the covid period when the notorious power standards was implemented, I and many in the complex lost equipments. It is usally the SMPS inside these units that conk out. Since then I have these stabilizer in each and every room. For my audio room I have the high voltage cutout too. I think it is almost 4 years now and I have not lost a single equipment

Sure Yes sure. I use that. These stabilizers can take high load. Before the stabilizer I have the high voltage cutout too. During the covid period when the notorious power standards was implemented, I and many in the complex lost equipments. It is usally the SMPS inside these units that conk out. Since then I have these stabilizer in each and every room. For my audio room I have the high voltage cutout too. I think it is almost 4 years now and I have not lost a single equipment

But can I put a UPS before it to handle the transition to the generator before I can shut the AV receiver down?

But can I put a UPS before it to handle the transition to the generator before I can shut the AV receiver down?
Put the UPS after the stabilizer. So like this
---------------------------------------------------------------|------> other equipments
---------------------------------------------------------------|
power ----> voltage cutout / fuse ----> stabilizer ---> UPS ---> AVR

NOTE: Iam not able to draw the above properly. Ignore the first two rows of dashes. Other equipments are connected to the stabilizer.
and AVR is connected to the UPS and UPS is connected to the stabilizer

Many UPS have built in voltage regulation. In that case you don't erquire a stabilizer

My apc ups stopped working in 2 years. I don’t vouch for apc computer ups. Also, the transfer time seems to be high too and the backup time is less. I had better experience with vguard in the past.

A simple V Guard or another reputable brand of voltage stabilizer will do the job. They have a 3 minute delayed start plus they will cut power to the device once it drops below (Or higher) a certain threshold. You need to read the specification sheet to know what that is. I would not put a battery back up based solution for HT or any audio equipment.

It is the high voltage (> 250 volts) that is a problem thanks to the new Electricity standards. Install a high voltage low voltage cut out. It will cost < rs 2000. Even a relay based stabilizer will protect you from high voltage faster than a servo. A relay based stabilzer will cost you < rs 5000 and will keep the voltage in check below 240 volts.

If you want continuous voltage stabilization perfect than servo or static stabilizer are options. But servo is slow to respond and a rapid high voltage increase is not something servo can handle fast enough. These two options will cost a bomb and IMHO a total waste as it is not going to increase the clarity or quality of the audio even by .000005 %
My amicikart voltage/current cut off device will arrive soon. Thanks for taking the time and patience to run through settings A1 to A15. It was a pleasure speaking with you earlier today.

A simple V Guard or another reputable brand of voltage stabilizer will do the job. They have a 3 minute delayed start plus they will cut power to the device once it drops below (Or higher) a certain threshold. You need to read the specification sheet to know what that is. I would not put a battery back up based solution for HT or any audio equipment.
That solves the voltage issue, but doesn't a sudden shut down affect the receiver? Or am I reading too much into this.

@mbhangui I installed the over-voltage/under-voltage/over-current device directly on the tv/hifi line and in the next few days we've had three over-voltage surges courtesy Adani. Thankfully this protector kicked in and saved the day! Sharing my settings so that anyone interested will get a rough idea. I have deliberately kept the voltage settings within a very restrictive range for my peace of mind.

A1 - POWER-ON DELAY TIME S
A1.jpg

A2 - OVER-VOLTAGE PROTECTION VALUE V
A2.jpg

A3 - OVER-VOLTAGE RECOVERY VALUE V
A3.jpg

A4 - OVER-VOLTAGE RECOVERY DELAY TIME S
A4.jpg

A5 - OVER-VOLTAGE PROTECTION ACTION TIME S
A5.jpg

A6 - UNDER-VOLTAGE PROTECTION VALUE V
A6.jpg

A7 - UNDER-VOLTAGE RECOVERY VALUE V
A7.jpg

A8 - UNDER-VOLTAGE RECOVERY DELAY TIME S
A8.jpg

A9 - UNDER-VOLTAGE PROTECTION ACTION TIME S
A9.jpg

A10 - OVER-CURRENT PROTECTION VALUE A
A10.jpg

A11 - OVER-CURRENT RECOVERY DELAY TIME S
A11.jpg

A12 - OVER-CURRENT PROTECTION ACTION TIME S
A12.jpg

A13 - VOLTAGE CALIBRATION
A13.jpg

A14 - CONTINUOUS OVER-CURRENT FAULTS TIMES
A14.jpg

A15 - CURRENT CALIBRATION
A15.jpg

Just one question, any reason for this consistent over voltage in Mumbai since it is very often between 243 to 252 V.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back