Recd my Yamaha AVR from Amazon Japan at a mouth watering Christmas price.

My budget for 5.1 speakers is 1.5 lks
What would be your anticipated usage for movies/music (in %)? What are the dimensions of the room where you'll be setting this up?

I believe speakers are the most important part of any setup. So don't hesitate to spend as much as you could on speakers. And they will last way longer than your electronics.

Last edited:
Great price in Japan .Congrats for the purchase .Please check for the voltage specification. In Japan its 100V .Please do consider suitable transformer for that.
Also the onscreen menu setup language etc.

Usage 50-50 movies /music, room 250sqft

For music lovers a nice pair of bookshelves (of FS) is a must. Speakers will last long. So in a later point of time, you can easily upgrade to a stereo amp for better SQ.

As you have a decent room size, I think a bit oversized bookshelves should be awesome when paired with nice and VFM speaker stands (like soundfoundations stands). Bookshelves namely Usher 601, Dynaudio DM 2/6 (or 2/8) might suit your taste or budget.

Other options could be:
Monitor Audio Silver
KEF Reference series (this is a bit costly but I think they are VFM. This is purely based on internet reviews only)
Focal Chorus 706.

But be advised, before purchasing, try to audition all the speakers that you come across.

Experts always suggested that for movies, LCR should be from same manufacturer and series. So, for the center channel try to match it as closely as possible against the Left Right.
Anything will do fine for surrounds. Don't have to spend much on them.

Disclaimer: I am not associated to any products/services mentioned above.

@RAJUSH26

Congrats on your AVR purchase!

Speakers as fellow FM "saikatbiswas82" says are the most important element in the audio chain. This is because the sound is ultimately traveling from the speakers to your ears. So the more faithfully and tightly the speaker can render the audio frequency spectrum, the better. The head end of the chain is equally important; the source.

If your chain is:
Laptop --> Electronics (DAC/Pre/Amp/AVR) --> Speakers; then the electronics in between plays a lesser role in terms of sound signature as the player on laptop can be used to tweak to your personal preferences. The role of electronics here is not to introduce any new noise.

If your chain is:
CD/Media Player --> Electronics (DAC/Pre/Amp/AVR) --> Speakers; then the electronics plays a more important role. Why? Sound signatures of each element in the chain matters as user has only limited flexibility to tweak the sound.

AVRs these days have decent DACs. DAC in a modern AVR is comparable to a low priced external DAC. I am not saying it is better or worse, it is comparable and it does its job. If I am not wrong, most AVRs from reputable companies will have at least 16 bit resolution. More than enough for 99% of music you will ever hear.

I am not a big fan of SW for music listening sessions; this is my personal opinion. SW is required for movies with at least 5.1 encoding. LCR from same company is desirable but not mandatory. Why? Most modern AVRs allow user to tweak each channel individually.

FS vs BS is a matter of space constraints and budget. FS is more expensive as compared to BS (or stand mount) in the same line. Many FS will give you 3-way speakers (2 crossovers); most BS are 2-way speakers (1 crossover). FS may have multiple units of each driver; this may give "room-filling" sound in large listening spaces. Many BS and studio monitors are excellent for music.

As other FMs say, speakers should be auditioned and should never be a blind buy.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:
Folks, I would like to have your help in getting a 5.1 speaker setup for rxv479.
Usually would be using them for movies/music 50:50. My budget is around 30K.
Room size is 12x18sqft, expect 5.1 set up to cover the area..
I was looking at
1.BA xs5.1
2.pioneer (sp1135TS, 1135xs)
3.JBL cinema (300 or 510 or 610)

Btw, I have an old Aiwa speakers of my hi-fi system (NSX-s52), any idea if this can be paired as
Left & Right Speakers ? If so, please help me with center, woofer and satellites, please.

Thanks for your inputs.

LCR from same company is desirable but not mandatory. Why? Most modern AVRs allow user to tweak each channel individually.

The sound signature could be completely different from L and R if the center is from a different brand. How will the AVR tweaking can change that?
Please help to understand.

The sound signature could be completely different from L and R if the center is from a different brand. How will the AVR tweaking can change that?
Please help to understand.

Agreed you will not get the perfect match, but it will not be jarring. In the center channel you need dialog to be loud and clear. 80% of movie soundtrack lies here. As long as the L/C/R are of comparable specs it should not drastically affect the movie watching experience. The tweaks are done so that the L/R do overwhelm C and vice versa.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hello FM friends.
Finally got the avr back home.
Good news no probs at airport.
Paired with my current old Sony speakers which I was using with my stereo amp DNM ,
no GOOD THESE speakers don't do justice to the new yam avr.
This amp requires quality speakers.
So friends pls let me know ur suggestions.

Were you able to use it directly in Indian voltage or did it need a step up or step down transformer? Please rely as I am also planning to buy one from Japan

Last edited:
Hello friends, I haven't still bought speakers for my yam 679,pls suggest with new possibilities

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back