Rega Planar 1 Phono Leads Upgrade

saketgyani

Hello!

I started my vinyl journey a couple of months ago and absolutely loving it!

I have a Rega Planar 1 (Eco-Deck).
The phono leads (RCA) are hard wired into the tone arm (hence the cartridge) and are of really flimsy quality.

I was fine with that but now I'm changing the placement of the turn table and I realised, the RCA leads from the TT are pretty short and cannot reach the integrated amplifier (I'm using the inbuilt phono preamp of my amplifier).

So I tried extending the phono leads using these Male to Female RCA adapter cables. Turns out, they are not shielded and there's a humming sound every now and then. I fiddle around with the adapter cables and the hums goes, only to return in a few minutes. Definitely returning these.

I'm thinking of modifying the turn table. Is there a way to get rid of the stock RCA cables that come from the tone-arm and instead install a pair of good quality female RCA sockets at the back of the turn table? That way I can use the RCA interconnects of my choice.

Can someone recommend a solid technician to carry out this job in Bombay?

Thanks!

Hello!

I started my vinyl journey a couple of months ago and absolutely loving it!

I have a Rega Planar 1 (Eco-Deck).
The phono leads (RCA) are hard wired into the tone arm (hence the cartridge) and are of really flimsy quality.

I was fine with that but now I'm changing the placement of the turn table and I realised, the RCA leads from the TT are pretty short and cannot reach the integrated amplifier (I'm using the inbuilt phono preamp of my amplifier).

So I tried extending the phono leads using these Male to Female RCA adapter cables. Turns out, they are not shielded and there's a humming sound every now and then. I fiddle around with the adapter cables and the hums goes, only to return in a few minutes. Definitely returning these.

I'm thinking of modifying the turn table. Is there a way to get rid of the stock RCA cables that come from the tone-arm and instead install a pair of good quality female RCA sockets at the back of the turn table? That way I can use the RCA interconnects of my choice.

Can someone recommend a solid technician to carry out this job in Bombay?

Thanks!

Hi Saketgyani, imho best not to do that as good technicians mat turn out to be not so good. Why not use an external phono stage instead of amp builtin one. This will give you better SQ & hum noise may also go due to ground connection of ext PS to tt.I hope this is of help.

UPDATE:

I have placed an order for Schiit Mani 2. Hoping for significant improvement in SQ.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

I'll post my impressions of it once I receive it at the end of the month.

UPDATE:

I have placed an order for Schiit Mani 2. Hoping for significant improvement in SQ.

Thanks so much for all of your suggestions.

I'll post my impressions of it once I receive it at the end of the month.

Hi

Getting an external phono stage like the Schiit Mani is a good move. The phono cable is not the same as a regular RCA cables, so you can't just use any RCA cable to connect your TT to the phono stage. Moreover, you need to keep this cable as short as possible, ideally less than 1 meter.

Cheers

Hi

Getting an external phono stage like the Schiit Mani is a good move. The phono cable is not the same as a regular RCA cables, so you can't just use any RCA cable to connect your TT to the phono stage. Moreover, you need to keep this cable as short as possible, ideally less than 1 meter.

Cheer

Thanks for the info.
Waiting for Mani to arrive.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back