Samsung MU7000 UHD - 55" - 7.1 Home Theater

hbvivek

Hello All,

Am new to this forum. Just joined in fact. Have a collection of over 500 CD's and some 200 tapes (which I still have).

Living in an apartment in Bangalore. The hall size is 17 x 12. We just got the Samsung MU7000 UHD - 55".

Am planning for a 7.1 Home theater and looking at options.

One of them is Onkyo (refer attached pdf for detailed specs). This is just being launched and the dealer in Bangalore - MG Road is expecting stock by September 1.

Request audiophiles to give their inputs and suggestions.

Attachments

• Onkyo 7.1 - HT-S9800THX.JPG
    Onkyo 7.1 - HT-S9800THX.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 119
Hello All, Am new to this forum. Just joined in fact.

Welcome to HFV..

Have a collection of over 500 CD's and some 200 tapes (which I still have).

Thats a lot ..

Living in an apartment in Bangalore. The hall size is 17 x 12. We just got the Samsung MU7000 UHD - 55".

Am planning for a 7.1 Home theater and looking at options.

One of them is Onkyo (refer attached pdf for detailed specs). This is just being launched and the dealer in Bangalore - MG Road is expecting stock by September 1.

Request audiophiles to give their inputs and suggestions.

While the Onkyo THX HTIB is a good one, there are (better) many options for the same price that you can consider..

Quote your max budget and FM should pitch in with suggestions..

Well during my initial days of purchasing my AV items , i too was impressed by Onkyo and purchased a 5.1 for 27K ( i think). No doubt Onkyo HTIB are impressive but once my son was born i did not want the wires running around and also the receiver reachable. Hence now i dismantled all and looking for a Soundbar 7.1. I see yamaha ysp-2500 or 5600 or sony st-5000 having some good reviews. Before buying this i suggest check for soundbar option.

Welcome to HFV..

While the Onkyo THX HTIB is a good one, there are (better) many options for the same price that you can consider..

Quote your max budget and FM should pitch in with suggestions..

Thanks..

Budget is 1 - 1.5 ....stretched would be 2L... Please let know of options.. We listen to a lot of music & watch lot of movies...

So rather than reaching high audio levels (which you anyways cant in an apartment) would focus on high quality like listening to the strums & chords in the intro of "Hotel California" at the same time enjoy high quality movies.

Look for a good AVR and speakers package in that budget.
You will be able to upgrade this in the future.

There are very good mid segment AVRs from Yamaha, Denon, Pioneer etc in 50 - 60k.

This will be much better than HTIB options.

Thanks..

Budget is 1 - 1.5 ....stretched would be 2L... Please let know of options.. We listen to a lot of music & watch lot of movies...

So rather than reaching high audio levels (which you anyways cant in an apartment) would focus on high quality like listening to the strums & chords in the intro of "Hotel California" at the same time enjoy high quality movies.

Living in an apartment in Bangalore. The hall size is 17 x 12. Am planning for a 7.1 Home theater and looking at options.

Budget is 1 - 1.5 ....stretched would be 2L... Please let know of options..We listen to a lot of music & watch lot of movies...

You have a good area.. You can plan for a 7.2.4 set-up.. Denon x 4300/Marantz SR 6011 should be on your list..Since the new series have been announced, you should be able to grab the outgoing models for a slightly cheaper price..Dual subs & speakers of your choice..

You have a good area.. You can plan for a 7.2.4 set-up.. Denon x 4300/Marantz SR 6011 should be on your list..Since the new series have been announced, you should be able to grab the outgoing models for a slightly cheaper price..Dual subs & speakers of your choice..

Given the budget what receivers, speakers and subs you would go for. I am not a very technically sound on the AV components. That's the reason why I chose Onkyo (as mentioned in my initial post) where it is a pre-configured set of components.

But its always better to build (assemble) one. Please let me know the options.

Given the budget what receivers, speakers and subs you would go for. I am not a very technically sound on the AV components. That's the reason why I chose Onkyo (as mentioned in my initial post) where it is a pre-configured set of components.

But its always better to build (assemble) one. Please let me know the options.

AVR - Denon X4300 would be first.. This is a 9.2 AVR (5.2.4 (or) 7.2.2 Out of the box) capable of 11.2 (Additional power amp) 7.2.4.. Approx 1 Lac +..

For subs (Dual identical) - Taga Harmony TSW 120 / BIC America F12 (25K each) - 50K

For speakers - 3 pairs of Taga Harmony platinum S90.. This would complete 6 speakers (Left, center, right, surr left, surr right & single channel surr back).. 6 Identical bed speakers should be great.. (40K)..

When you can accumulate some more budget, you can add 4 ceiling speakers & stereo power amp (used)..

If you feel the above set-up is beyond your budget,

Then consider 5.2.2 inside your budget..

AVR - Denon X 3300 - With 2 over heads (or) Front heights.. (Approx 80K)

For subs (Dual identical) - Taga Harmony TSW 120 / BIC America F12 (25K each) - 50K

If you are doing front heights, 4 pairs of Taga Harmony platinum S90 (50K).. You will have 8 identical speakers.. You can use 7 of them..(Left, center, right, surr left, surr right, Front height left, Front height right)..

if you are adding ceiling speakers, then Taga Platinum S90 as fronts, C90 for center, S100 for surrounds & any pair of ceiling speakers with (or) without enclosure..

The reason for choosing Taga Harmony speakers is because of the affordable pricing in India..

Denon India is handled by Pro Fx.. So for warranty claims, you will need to approach them.. Warranty doesn't apply for international purchase..

I would suggest you not to buy it from US for few reasons..

- They are 110V version, while India is 220 ~ 240V.. So you will need Step down transformer (Additional cost)..
- Anything more than 55K will attract duty at the airport.. So you may end up paying duty over 75K (May be 20K)..
- For international purchase, you loose warranty straight away..
- If you could source it from Middle east / Europe / Asain countries, better as they work on same voltage as India 220 ~ 240V..
- There are ways to get it locally (search OLX) for abt the same price as US (or) less too, but 220V.. Suggesting you from where to source it is against forum rules :sad:..

Makes sense to buy it here then, to avoid paying more duties and also for warranty issues.

ProFx - this is where my friend got his Denon Amp and Profx speakers about 12 years back. He gave it to me before he relocated. It developed issues - input source keeps toggling & also one of the satellite speakers gave away. Need to get that fixed.

ProFx - this is where my friend got his Denon Amp and Profx speakers about 12 years back. He gave it to me before he relocated. It developed issues - input source keeps toggling & also one of the satellite speakers gave away. Need to get that fixed.

Could you share the brand & model # of the satellite speaker.. If it suits, then may be you can re-use the other 4 satellites as ceiling speakers..

Could you share the brand & model # of the satellite speaker.. If it suits, then may be you can re-use the other 4 satellites as ceiling speakers..

The Sub and Satellite speakers are all branded Pro-Fx.

The Amp is Denon Integrated Amplifier - (PMA - 1055R).

Today I went to visit the Onkyo store in Barton Center, but it was closed. What I did not know was that the Pro-FX showroom was right below Onkyo's at Barton Center in Bangalore. Spent some time checking out the Polk and Kef range, setup in 7.1 configuration. Enjoyed the movies & songs played.

As mentioned in my previous posts my TV is mounted on a panel which is about 11 feet from the sofa. When I am seated on the sofa facing the TV - to the left is the Balcony door and on to the far right is the main door to the house. I first thought that I would not be able to setup a 7.1 given the layout.

It was only after Elango's explanation that I could visualize it. But today at the Pro-Fx center I was able to see it physically. This is what it looks like (for those who would like to understand)..

Front - Left - 1 Tower Speaker
Front - Middle - 1 Speaker (more like a soundbar) below the TV
Front - Right - 1 Tower Speaker

Ceiling - Left - 1 Dolby Atmos Speaker
Ceiling - Right - 1 Dolby Atmos Speaker

Rear - Left - Surround Speaker
Rear - Right - Surround Speaker

Sub-woofer - 1 - placed to the left / right.

Now I have to start thinking on the receiver & satellite combos.

In order to place the ceiling and rear speakers, I plan to have wooden panel / beam running from above the TV panel to the ceiling - running across the breadth of the wall and and dropping back behind the sofa. This way the beam can hold the Atmos on the ceiling and the surround on the wall at the rear and optional lights.

Attachments

• 7.1 Ceiling Setup.jpg
    7.1 Ceiling Setup.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 39
As mentioned in my previous posts my TV is mounted on a panel which is about 11 feet from the sofa. When I am seated on the sofa facing the TV - to the left is the Balcony door and on to the far right is the main door to the house. I first thought that I would not be able to setup a 7.1 given the layout.

Please share actual images of your room here.. You will get some better suggestions from other FM w.r.t placement of speakers..

Front - Left - 1 Tower Speaker
Front - Middle - 1 Speaker (more like a soundbar) below the TV
Front - Right - 1 Tower Speaker

Ceiling - Left - 1 Dolby Atmos Speaker
Ceiling - Right - 1 Dolby Atmos Speaker

Rear - Left - Surround Speaker
Rear - Right - Surround Speaker

Sub-woofer - 1 - placed to the left / right.

If you are going the dual sub way, you can skip the FS... YOu can keep one of the left & right..

Now I have to start thinking on the receiver & satellite combos.

This is a 5.1.2 layout.. Thought you were planning for a 5.2.4 :p in your budget..

In order to place the ceiling and rear speakers, I plan to have wooden panel / beam running from above the TV panel to the ceiling - running across the breadth of the wall and and dropping back behind the sofa. This way the beam can hold the Atmos on the ceiling and the surround on the wall at the rear and optional lights.

If you have an option of getting something from US either yourself (or) thru your friends, check for Kanto ben co-axial speakers... YOu can buy wall mount too for these from the company..

Orange-Matte.jpg

51KroK3Q0ML.jpg

A pair of co-axial speakers + speaker mount shouldn't cost more than $100.. If you can get 2 pairs, you can fix them straight on the ceiling using the mount, also has the provision of tilting towards your listening position.. which otherwise might be time consuming effort thru DIY way..

With $200 (or) lil more, you are done with 4 ceiling speakers & mount..

Please share actual images of your room here.. You will get some better suggestions from other FM w.r.t placement of speakers..

Ok. Will send in the next post.

If you are going the dual sub way, you can skip the FS... YOu can keep one of the left & right..

Only 1 sub. What I meant was placed to left or right,

This is a 5.1.2 layout.. Thought you were planning for a 5.2.4 :p in your budget..

confused: 3 + 2 +2 + 1 = 7.1.. ???

If you have an option of getting something from US either yourself (or) thru your friends, check for Kanto ben co-axial speakers... YOu can buy wall mount too for these from the company..

A pair of co-axial speakers + speaker mount shouldn't cost more than $100.. If you can get 2 pairs, you can fix them straight on the ceiling using the mount, also has the provision of tilting towards your listening position.. which otherwise might be time consuming effort thru DIY way..

With $200 (or) lil more, you are done with 4 ceiling speakers & mount..

My next visit is in Feb. Will pick up then. Need to brainstorm and arrive at the "right configuration" before that.

Received quotation from Pro-fx for the following options

Kef - Q900 Package with Denon AVR - Rs. 3,89,400 /-

Kef - Q700 Package with Denon AVR - Rs. 3,37,400 / -

Polk - Signature Series with Yamaha AVR - Rs. 1,86,990 /-

Note these are MRP Rates. Once I finalize I can expect some discounts.

Attachments

• q900.jpg
    q900.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 33
  • q700.jpg
    q700.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 33
  • Polk.jpg
    Polk.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 33
Only 1 sub. What I meant was placed to left or right,

Ok got it.. What i meant was having dual subs.. One to the side of your left speaker & an other one to the side of your right speaker..

confused: 3 + 2 +2 + 1 = 7.1.. ???

Yes.. It is.. 7.1 is represented as 5.1.2 to denote Atmos layout.. 5(left, center, right, surr left & right).1/.2 (Single/dual subs) .2 (Overheads)

Received quotation from Pro-fx for the following options

Kef - Q900 Package with Denon AVR - Rs. 3,89,400 /-

Kef - Q700 Package with Denon AVR - Rs. 3,37,400 / -

When you have a budget of only 2 Lacs, Profx has given you a quote for 4 Lacs...KEF FS for 1 lac, KEF Center for an other 1 Lac, speaker cable for 20K & a hefty 10 for installation.. They are India's biggest/largest hi-fi dealer :sad:

Polk - Signature Series with Yamaha AVR - Rs. 1,86,990 /-

This is sub par for your budget..

Note these are MRP Rates. Once I finalize I can expect some discounts.

10% fancy discount will get you to 3.7 lacs from 4 Lacs Quotation..

Need to brainstorm and arrive at the "right configuration" before that.

That would be best... 5.2.4 will be a worthy experience IMO..

Hi For your current budget ,KEF speakers will not be suitable ,If you are interested in movies only then Polk will do a good justice .
My suggestions for 5.1.2
Denon X 2400/3400/4400 or Yamaha Aventage series A1050 -depending on budget .
Speakers shall be - Polk /Taga Harmony speakers will good for movies. (U can get it < 1 lakhs depending upon model for 5.1.2)
Also look for Dali Zensor 5 or 3 as fronts and z1 as surrounds ,zensor vokal as center and ceiling speakers from other brand . (Should be well below 1.5 lakhs).
The balance amount can be utilised for AVR and cables.
Also you need to plan for source either bluray player or HTPC or media player.

Best is you to audition it and decide.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back