Shangling ET-3 Ownership review

Hari Iyer

Last week my much awaited Shangling ET-3 CD transport arrived after a 7 weeks of pre-order wait period. I waited for 4 days to install and setup them because of the time required for me to get familar with the setup and install procedure.

Its PnP only for the CD if you do not want to use any of the upscaling features and are happy with the native sampling rate of the CD. If not you will need to setup the Shangling for upsampling functions and enjoy the added benefit of this Transport.

User interface is very simple and straight forward and you get used to the menu after 2 or 3 passes. I have used the AES/EBU output of this transport to connect to my RME SPDIF input. After using the Shangling + RME ADI-FS AD/DA converter i now feel that buying the RME 6 months ago was a wise decision and it was not a outdated purchase though it being a very basic AD/DA converter. I am using the DSD256 upsampling setup in the transport with DSD native output (other option was DOP and D2P - which are yet to be tested by me for SQ). The upsamping is genuine and not fancy and it removes all the harshness of the 44.1KHz native CD samping and add a lot of warmath and mellowness to the AES/EBU output which is to my liking. Also the sound stage and imaging is very relaxed and natural sounding. You can make out this difference in vocals and makes me listen more. The DSD256 sampling rates also applies to the Bluetooth receiver and USB files.

I need to install an Eddict player to scan music on the 64GB pendrive that i connected at the back which help me to organize all my music in folders with all details of genere, artist etc. The Eddict interface is a superb interface that is known to me till now and very powerful for transferring files from wireless wi-fi conncetions from your mobile or laptop and play it directly on DSD256. The USB files also plays in DSD256 format and thankfully my RME AD/DA convertor supports QUAD speed @ 192KHz sampling rate.

The Shangling external clock is a slave and i am using the RME AD/DA clock as master clock by upsampling the RME for QUAD speed. This is indicated by a fixed (ok) white LED. If not synced the white LED blinks (indicating Error).

Unfortunately i do not have any iOS device at home (no iphone, ipad or MAC book) hence could not test Airplay interface for Spotify played from my Android mobile. What i could test was how Spotify sounded with the Bluetooth interface of the Shangling. For Bluetooth i am using LADP hi-res lossless connection with aptx endpoint. This gives me loosless quality (atleast theoretically) with my bluetooth interface. This particular format developed by Sony tranfer files at 3 times the speed of the standard bluetooth and hence does not loose any bit during transfer. This received bluetooth input is again upsampled with the DSD256 format before its fed to the RME AD/DA with the AES/EBU output to SPDIF in.

Enough about the above rattle. But how is the SQ - Sunta kaisa hai - that's what all matters? Right?

With the CD playback - with native samping rate - the highs are a bit rolled-off and can be a bit harsh. With the DSD256 upsamping the added warmth, melloness and natural tone sound very close to any analgue playback. It reminds me of playback of a high-end TT setup played using vinyl records over a phono preamplifier. This format will be a preferred option if your DAC, speakers and amplifiers are on the brigher side. But i enjoy using this setup even with my hardware. My previous Marantz UD-7007 BR player in comparasion was much harsher an not at all mellow sounding. You can mistake details and now i realize that was all noise and distortion after listening to the Shangling.

USB playback - sounds better than the Marantaz and also the Eddict UI has better controls and flexibility over the dated marantz interface. SQ wise i still can upsample the format to native DSD256 - and i am not complaniing. The SQ is depending upon the source recording which mostly is mp3 and FLAC formats for me

Spotify over Bluetooth receiver - i need to compare Airplay with LDAP hi-res to quantify any SQ difference between the two to justify investing in any iOS device which has always been way out of my budget. Only if the difference is huge it makes a sensible investment - else not. This is for another day comparison. As of now the upsampled spotify with DSD256 sounds good enough for me - given the 320kbs signal from the source.

Some images to feast your eyes,

1728020478983.jpeg

1728020537522.jpeg

Thanks for looking.

@Hari Iyer Shanling ET3 doesn’t support anything more than DSD 64 or PCM192 via AES/Coax/Optical

If you want to go higher than that you will have to use i2s output. Even USB is somewhat restricted but its incorrectly notified on their page, this was confirmed by their rep.

If you go higher sample rate than supported it falls back to PCM equivalent.

What you are hearing is upsampled PCM and not DSD.

1728026285277.png

Ok.
The Shangling display shows DSD256 and the RME ADI-2 FS locks and sync in quad speed 192khz without blinking LED. For DSD64, DSD128, DSD512 the LED blinks - indicating sync error. If I downsample the master clock to corresponding DSD64 or DSD128 the device again gets sync. DSD512 is not supported by RME as it's only till QUAD speed. For DSD512 you require octupier speed.

If AES do not support DSD256 then how do they sync perfectly without error?

Ok.

If AES do not support DSD256 then how do they sync perfectly without error?

Like I said, it falls back to PCM.

There is a glitch and that it still allows to show higher sample rates than 64 DSD on AES. This has been discussed on other forums a lot and asked the Shanling team to fix along with the stupid Vinyl Display instead of a CD.

This is what happens when you try to go above specified Sample Rates.
Since AES is only able to output 192 max, it does PCM 176 when selected 256 DSD, anything higher is not played.

IMG_5572.jpegIMG_5571.jpegIMG_5570.jpegIMG_5569.jpeg

Maybe it's the limitation of the Gustard DAC. When I set DSD256 over AES the clock in RME locks at quad speed 192khz. I can't confirm if its PCM or DSD though.. If I change that to DSD128 then RME locks to Dual speed 96khz. For DSD64 it locks in the native sampling rate. For DSD512 it blinks with an error - indicating not supported.

I have tried this with my Marantz player too and For CD the RME locks at native 44.1khz or native and For usb at 48khz or native. If I change clock to higher sampling then blink error is displayed. Maybe the cable that you are using to connect AES to coaxial might be an issue..

What I wanted to know from your experience is will setting DSD64 as upsampling in ET3 and allow RME to sync native allow me to play DSD upsampled?

Last edited:
I did a bit of research on why the DSD256 falls back to PCM176.1KHz on the R26. This could be because the R2R DAC process in native PCM. On the contrary Delta-sigma DACs process in native DSD.

Below is the script mentioning that -

"Then there are the differences in the ways DAC chips work. Most modern DAC chips are Delta-Sigma which decode native DSD. R-2R DAC chips decode native PCM. In order for you to play PCM files on a Delta-Sigma DAC or DSD files on an R-2R DAC the files have to be converted in real time."

For full details check link https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

AES doesn't have bandwidth for more than DSD64. The issue is valid for any DAC. On AES you can only do DoP (DSD over PCM) at DSD64 or DSD1x as that is the limit of SPDIF bandwidth.

You should use USB or i2s for higher rates.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back