small system for 40K

navin advani

Friend of mine was looking for a small system primarily for watching TV. Budget 40K

We looked at the micro systems from Onkyo (CS355) and Denon (M40B).

We looked at HTiB from Yamaha (YHT 299), Onkyo (3700) and Pioneer (RS 33 since the RS49 is not available).

This I wondered by not a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves. He valued intelligibility over BOOM anyway. How does this look?
Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Speaker (Pair, Black Finish)
+
Integrated Amplifiers : Marantz PM 5005 Integrated Amplifier

Can I get a sanity check?
Any nicer options?

Thanks.

Excellent picks. Do explore other speaker options, although the A26 is a pretty good performer. You may need to add a source aka CD player or media player to finish it off.

Friend of mine was looking for a small system primarily for watching TV. Budget 40K

We looked at HTiB from Yamaha (YHT 299), Onkyo (3700) and Pioneer (RS 33 since the RS49 is not available).

This I wondered by not a stereo amp and a pair of bookshelves. He valued intelligibility over BOOM anyway. How does this look?
+

Any nicer options?

Thanks.

Just for watching TV, dont you think all the options are just a bit of an overkill, even if for watching HD channels with DD 5.1. I think Yamaha yts 196 for 25K should be the max you should spent, even that seems too much for TV viewing IMHO. or maybe if watching movies via media player is also under consideration then yes I guess 299 and 3700 are really good options.

A26+marantz should not be considered for Movies, for music yes, but for movies the above HTiBs will be much better.

+

Any nicer options?

Thanks.

You may consider Marantz MCR 510 - Marantz M-CR510 Network Stereo Integrated Amplifier with built-in Apple AirPlay and Wi-Fi for 31K

Taga Harmony BS - Taga Harmony Platinum ONE Bookshelf Speaker (Pair) - 12K

Slightly above your friends budget, but it also gives him the flexibility of
- Adding a subwoofer later incase- he likes the Bass (It has sub out)
- Optical input to connect to different sources.
- Network functionality Wired/Wireless for play back from mobiles
- Front USB port that plays FLAC, WAV & MP3

or even better if he can re-use any old hi-fi stereo speakers if he has access to..

You may need to add a source aka CD player or media player to finish it off.

Thank you everyone!

No source needed. Content is mostly TV and some Chromecast videos. No need to wake the neighbours either. He just want to have better intelligibility.

Just for watching TV, dont you think all the options are just a bit of an overkill.

A26+marantz should not be considered for Movies, for music yes, but for movies the above HTiBs will be much better.

Most TV content is 2.0. I don't know if any one broadcasts 5.1.

Thanks nice option. 43K is not too bad. I assume this amp will drive small bookshelves (under 20K) the PSB B1, Q acoustics 2010i, Wharfdale 220, or Boston A26 as well. My friend likes the Wharfdale 220 so far.

Last edited:

If you have a HD STB, on HD channels you would get both 2.0 and 5.1.. You can limit that in the settings..

Thanks nice option. 43K is not too bad. I assume this amp will drive small bookshelves (under 20K) the PSB B1, Q acoustics 2010i, Wharfdale 220, or Boston A26 as well. My friend likes the Wharfdale 220 so far.

Higher efficient speaker the better.. Of the list you mentioned, BA26, PSB B1.. Wharfedale are less sensitive speakers.. Add Taga Platinum B40 from hifimart too for about 17K.. as efficient as BA26, PSB B1..

Why not your first pick the Marantz PM 5005 ? It should drive them quite well. It should be a nice combination. Of course a bit more power never did any more harm as long as your budget allows.

Thank you everyone!

No source needed. Content is mostly TV and some Chromecast videos. No need to wake the neighbours either. He just want to have better intelligibility.

All dth providers with their hd stb support dd 5.1.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Why not your first pick the Marantz PM 5005 ? .

The 5005 is a truer stereo amplifier than the MCR 510. The significant difference is that the 5005 does not have pre outs so my friend wont be able to add a subwoofer if he wants to. The MCR 510 has Airplay. The 5005 has proper switching capabilities. I will suggest both and let him choose his poison.

When ur budget is 40k then why buy a small or a micro system?
I bought a pre amp + power amp for 23500 and a pair of floor standing speakers for 23500/-
if u r from mumbai then u can check the system at my place or at:
Eastern electronics.manufacturers of Norge high end audio systems.
225,hammersmith industrial estate,ST.rd.,mahim,mumbai-16.
Norge Audio
cntct person laxman -09821871023.
for input use any dvd player of 3-4k range.and u can add a phongram(TT) later.

Hi

There is a lot of systems and equipment available in For Sale by Owner and Hi Fi Ads.....check the options basis budget and decide.....

All the best

When ur budget is 40k then why buy a small or a micro system?
cntct person laxman -09821871023..

Is Laxman running Norge now?

Anyway my friend did some auditioning yesterday and has decided on getting either the Polk 220 or Dali Zensor 1 for his bookshelves and either the Denon 520BT or Marantz 1506 for his AVR.

His budget is now 60K. LOL.

Thanks Navin and others as well. I am the friend Navin is referring to. Just joined after Navin sent me the link.

So as of now I've decided to go with an AV-R plus book shelf speakers.

AV-R shortlisted:
1. Denon X-520BT
2. Marantz NR 1506 (provided I can get a good price)

Since i'll be using it equally between listening to music and TV (regular Tata Sky HD) or chrome cast movie streaming apps like netflix and hotstar neither of which need emphasis on movie sounds, I figured it was better to get an AV-R which focused on music rather than movies. Which is why I didn't look at the Yamaha RX-V479 which was priced similar to the Marantz. The denon is the VFM option so to say. Have I missed any other options for my requirements?

Speakers:
Heard the Mission MX-2 and the Dali Zensor 3 yesterday. The Mission speakers were a complete disappointment with very narrow sound stage, lacking in separation of the instruments as well lacking in punch when it came to bass. When we switched over to the Dali's the difference was like night and day. The soundstage was wider, we couldn't even pin point if it was the Dali's or the tannoy floor standers. The clarity was very good and there was ample bass.

Now I need to audition the Elac B6 and Polk TSX220b. Also an option is the Dali Zensor 1 but I am not sure how much they will be lacking in low end punch with the 5.25" driver vs the Zensor 3 7" driver. The sound signature is definitely something I like in the Zensor 3 but haven't heard the Zensor1. The Polk's work better as they fit in my budget and I can stretch for the Marantz amp. With the Dali or the Elac's I will have to settle for a cheaper AV-R like the X520 Denon.

Let me go out on a limb here and say that the cheap& cheerful tpa3116 @1k hits 80-90% of my marantz pm-17 Ken Ishiwata edition at 1/60th the cost.... (at least at regular listening volumes)
maybe, just maybe try bump up the speaker budget and do an amp upgrade later?

Since i'll be using it equally between listening to music and TV (regular Tata Sky HD) or chrome cast movie streaming apps like netflix and hotstar neither of which need emphasis on movie sounds, I figured it was better to get an AV-R which focused on music rather than movies. Which is why I didn't look at the Yamaha RX-V479 which was priced similar to the Marantz.

Not really understood your statement. Yamaha RX-V series is good for Music/Movies listening. To me Yamaha sounded better than Denon x520/x1100 for Music listening. Overall rx-v479 would be a much better built than Denon x520.

Not really understood your statement. Yamaha RX-V series is good for Music/Movies listening. To me Yamaha sounded better than Denon x520/x1100 for Music listening. Overall rx-v479 would be a much better built than Denon x520.

What I meant was the Yamaha RX-V479 would definitely be better than the Denon X520BT but the Yamaha is also 8-9K more than the Denon and is priced very close to to the Marantz. Between the Marantz and Yamaha I would think the Marantz would be a better buy. The Denon makes sense if I cannot stretch to the RX-V479 or the Marantz.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back