small system for 40K

Is Laxman running Norge now?

Anyway my friend did some auditioning yesterday and has decided on getting either the Polk 220 or Dali Zensor 1 for his bookshelves and either the Denon 520BT or Marantz 1506 for his AVR.

His budget is now 60K. LOL.

After shyam bajaj its his daughter who is running the show.
Laxman happens to be the help working since Shyam bajaj's time.
since your friend has already decided i think further posts shall not be usefull.
best of lucks to him.Thanks.

What I meant was the Yamaha RX-V479 would definitely be better than the Denon X520BT but the Yamaha is also 8-9K more than the Denon and is priced very close to to the Marantz. Between the Marantz and Yamaha I would think the Marantz would be a better buy. The Denon makes sense if I cannot stretch to the RX-V479 or the Marantz.

I know it can be difficult to dig out extra cash for non essential expenditure.
But, before you take the final decision, please do weigh it against possible regret every time you put on some music. It will not be worth it then.
This is something that will be with you for many years probably, giving hours of pleasure.

I know it can be difficult to dig out extra cash for non essential expenditure.
But, before you take the final decision, please do weigh it against possible regret every time you put on some music. It will not be worth it then.
This is something that will be with you for many years probably, giving hours of pleasure.

Looks like I need to be careful when you post looking at your previous posts on budget.:D

I'm guessing you are saying I should dig out the extra cash and get the Marantz NR 1506 over the Denon X520BT or the Yamaha RX-V479?

The problem is PROFX store has the polk speakers and the Denon AVR but not the MArantz AVR. The place that has the Marantz AV-R doesn't have the Polk speakers.

Yes, that's always the case. The only way to audition is at someone's place who has the combination.
I have't heard the Polk 220, but from what I have read on the net, they will be lower than the Zensor 1. I've been reading up lately for budget bookshelf speakers.
The RTi would probably be more of an equivalent speaker.
Dealers also tend to keep lines that seem to go well together. Like Denon with Polk, Marantz with Dali.

All this is from the net. I confess I do not have much personal auditioning experience but do like to read up.

Another thing you might like to look at. How certain are you of getting to the 5.1 setup?
If you feel that just two speakers might be enough, get a stereo amp. Much better for music and not bad at all for movies.

Yes, that's always the case. The only way to audition is at someone's place who has the combination.
I have't heard the Polk 220, but from what I have read on the net, they will be lower than the Zensor 1. I've been reading up lately for budget bookshelf speakers.
The RTi would probably be more of an equivalent speaker.
Dealers also tend to keep lines that seem to go well together. Like Denon with Polk, Marantz with Dali.

All this is from the net. I confess I do not have much personal auditioning experience but do like to read up.

So I went to ProFX over the weekend and listened to the RTia3 and TSX220B speakers with a Denon X2200W amplifier.

Both speakers sounded quite different from each other but in short both were not perfect in my opinion.

RTiA3's sounded more crisp with more definition at the mid and high end. The sound stage to me sounded wider than the TSX220b. The separation was better than the TSX220 and the bass was tighter and not boomy. But this is also where it lacked. While the bass was tighter, it lacked the thump. I know I shouldn't be expecting thump from book shelf speakers but compared to the Dali Zensor 3 I had heard a week before the RTiA3's had much lesser bass.

Then the TSX220b. These speakers weren't really that bad. The sound stage was good as well as clarity but the separation of vocals and instruments wasn't as good as the RTiA3. The TSX220 had a lot more bass punch but it was a boomy bass not tight. I didn't mind it that much as the RTiA's lacked this altogether.

Considering the prices, the RTiA3 is in the middle of the Dali Zensor 3 and TSX220b. With the RTiA3 I will most definitely have to prepone my plan of getting a sub. With the Zensor 3 I might be ok without a sub for a while.

The TSX220b is actually good VFM considering my listening is a lot of TV, streaming media and songs which are all MP3 and not really audiophile music but more of pop, hip hop rap new gen stuff.

I was decided on the AV-R as MArantz NR1506 though ProFX discount on the AVR-X1200W brings it close to the Marantz price. The Denon has more power but I'm leaning towards the MArantz.

Another thing you might like to look at. How certain are you of getting to the 5.1 setup?
If you feel that just two speakers might be enough, get a stereo amp. Much better for music and not bad at all for movies.

Yeah I thought of that initially, but I lose digital inputs like USB, ipod completely. Most of the stereo amps have only RCA input or digital optical input which limit the use of the system. My TV is quite old and it's not a smart TV and has no USB inputs, just 3 HDMI ports. I'm not planning to change the TV for another year atleast.

I looked at the Marantz AV-R as it has a preout for the front channels to connect to a stereo amp.

Who is Laxman, if I may ask?.

Laxman was Shaym's right hand man at Norge / Eastern Electronics.

I looked at the Marantz AV-R as it has a preout for the front channels to connect to a stereo amp.

Vid6639, remember the old adage. It is your music, your money, your ears, buy what you enjoyed most.

Don't buy Dave Brubek when you prefer Daft Punk. For this reason alone I prefer to audition by myself. Trust your ears.

Considering the prices, the RTiA3 is in the middle of the Dali Zensor 3 and TSX220b. With the RTiA3 I will most definitely have to prepone my plan of getting a sub. With the Zensor 3 I might be ok without a sub for a while.

The TSX220b is actually good VFM considering my listening is a lot of TV, streaming media and songs which are all MP3 and not really audiophile music but more of pop, hip hop rap new gen stuff.

Do bear in mind, at home the speakers would be much closer to the wall than at the dealers. The bass might sound worse.
As Navin points out, there is no substitute for audition.

Yeah I thought of that initially, but I lose digital inputs like USB, ipod completely. Most of the stereo amps have only RCA input or digital optical input which limit the use of the system..

In which case look at network players/receivers.
Network Players & Receivers
The Marantz M-Cr510 is a slightly older model and has a good discount.

I am happily using an even older model, M-CR503, with wall mounted Zensor 1 pair in my bedroom.

Do bear in mind, at home the speakers would be much closer to the wall than at the dealers. The bass might sound worse.
As Navin points out, there is no substitute for audition.

So far after multiple auditions of the Polk TSX and RtiA3, I have narrowed down to the TSX. The RTiA3 lacked the punch and was a little too bright when pushed up.

The Dali's I would need to listen again before making a final call.

In which case look at network players/receivers.
Network Players & Receivers
The Marantz M-Cr510 is a slightly older model and has a good discount.

Decided to stick to AV-R and ordered the MArantz NR-1506. Figured this would be the most flexible with my blu-ray, chromecast and TataSky requirements for video.

Though I must admit the M-CR510 made a lot of sense if only stereo is required.

I am happily using an even older model, M-CR503, with wall mounted Zensor 1 pair in my bedroom.

Ah so you have the Zensor 1. How does it compare on bass. If the bass difference between the Zensor 1 and 3 is not that big I don't mind the Zensor 1.

Ah so you have the Zensor 1. How does it compare on bass. If the bass difference between the Zensor 1 and 3 is not that big I don't mind the Zensor 1.

Sorry, I wouldn't be able to help you there. Didn't do any auditioning. Needed a pair of small bookshelves suitable for wall mounting. There were hardly any options. Tested the Zensor 1 and a small PSB pair, the model of which I can't remember now. Possibly one of the Image series bookshelves.
Haven't heard the Zensor 3.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back