Standalone internet player

Helium:

To understand more of Squeezebox Radio, check this...

Logitech Squeezebox Radio Reviewed

To understand more of Squeezebox Boom, check this...

Fun With Networked Music: Logitech Squeezebox Boom and iPeng Reviewed

:)

ThanKs Folks for sharing your experiences and now I have finalized the SB classic and will have a friend of mine pick one up from the U.S

Also vinod_david
Thank you for providing these valuable links:-

Logitech SB Classic with some hi-end system
Mainly British.... - Squeezebox : Community : Forums
System Photos - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Davids Logitech SB Classic with his hi-end setup
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/P1080002.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/P1080004.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/P1080006.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/P1080009.jpg
http://i372.photobucket.com/albums/o...d/P1080011.jpg

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

I have a feeling (could be wrong on this though)that the SB Classic has been discontinued-I dont see it listed in the Slim Devices store. It is available on EBay though. I think they are pushing their other products like Duet and radios.

George

I have a feeling (could be wrong on this though)that the SB Classic has been discontinued-I dont see it listed in the Slim Devices store. It is available on EBay though. I think they are pushing their other products like Duet and radios.

George

ohoho...So can you recommend any stores in the U.S stores for the Classic? Also will it have the 220V adaptor?

Thanks everyone for replying on this thread and enriching my knowledge in audiophile world....

All this information has really helped me taking a decision on buying the Logitech SB Duet which I will be doing shortly.

i am happy for that, for guys like me there are diy versions

here is a pdf of building
one at home http://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/AppNotes/01128b.pdf?from=rss
Diy versions do look cool see this

3568413842_ca6a2bc59d.jpg

built from wifi router ...
Mighty ohm :mightyOhm Blog Archive Building a Wifi Radio Part 10, Building the Box

Hey that looks groovy:licklips:

So can anyone recommend any stores in the U.S stores where I can ask my friend to pick it up from? Also will it have the 220V adaptor?

Thank you

Hello friends,

I believe their are few people on the forum who have actally received the
SB- Duet. Would kindly request them to share their experiences...

• As a stand alone dac
  • Quality of internet radio channels
  • Bufferring issues
  • Sb used with external DAC
  • Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers?
  • Can we see the album art cover on the remote screen
  • Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness
  • Warranty
  • Adaptor -Voltages issues
  • Performance- resetting/ hanging issues

How would you rate this product on 10?

Thank you for your time
--
helium

* As a stand alone dac -- it has digital and analogue outputs, it has no digital input other than its network signal. I guess that is what you mean, but I wasn't sure.

* Quality of internet radio channels --- probably the root of everything, and I guess it depends on the station. I enjoy my BBC, and I have have had a couple of very pleasant sessions with Internet Archive music.

* Bufferring issues --- very occasionally

* Sb used with external DAC --- Don't know, would like to test!

* Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers? --- Not sure! I always work on the mental model of directory listing, rather than music library, so I do not look for those functions. You can download the PC software and try it: you can even get an add-in to make it play on your PC rather than over the net. You wouldn't want to do much text entry on the remote, using the wheel; tedious.

* Can we see the album art cover on the remote screen --- Yes I think so. I don't have the source art to display!

* Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness --- Yes

* Warranty --- I don't remember

* Adaptor -Voltages issues bought mine in UK: it came with a couple of plug adapters, one for UK, the other maybe European, don't recall. Input voltage: 100-240

* Performance- resetting/ hanging issues --- I have had some problems. It strikes me as being a bit of a geekish device! The remote is actually a linux computer that you can log into and tamper wit h (you can also do a factory reset, so no worries). The one thing I have never made it do is act as a stand-alone internet radio device (with no loacl PC running server software) --- but I think many, many people do: it must be just me! The remote is not very snappy; I prefer to control the device from the PC --- which is a pity as the remote is actually the most expensive of the two components!

You can use the remote as an independent player, though, with earphones, though it might take a bit of geekery to do it. The capability is there, but not officially supported, it seems. I did make it work. I think the is also a capability to control other devices via infra-red.

I don't use mine very often, else I'd be able to reply more fully. I often regret that, when my hifi and pc were near by, the connection was achieved over wires at a fraction of the price!

You can download the manual from the Slim Devices site. I always think manuals are much better buyers' guide than sales literature!

Slimdevices runs a forum that you might find interesting, and will probably find useful if you buy: -->here.

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed reply and also for providing the SB link.

Few pics that I would like to share with all HFV members as I dream to own one day.

1) SB Duet + tube amp (The SB transporter with the tubes)
Tubes and Digital - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

2) SB with single driver speakers
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=19817

3) A minimalist setup
Squeezebox Duet into AVI ADM9 active speakers with DAC
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=48669

Kindest regards,
--
helium

Last edited:
I'm just wondering...

Doesn't an Ipod Touch make an excellent internet radio player ???

Add Last.fm app and you can browse by genre, by country , by tag etc. And you just need to enter artist name or album name or genre or a tag and start listening to an endless stream of songs of your artist/album/genre/tag.

It doesn't come with remote tho. :)

Yes I think iphone etc are pretty good players and loads of apps are available. Sb can be a better option qwhen streaming your own high quality music from comp.

Hello friends,

I believe their are few people on the forum who have actally received the
SB- Duet. Would kindly request them to share their experiences...

• As a stand alone dac
  • Quality of internet radio channels
  • Bufferring issues
  • Sb used with external DAC
  • Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers?
  • Can we see the album art cover on the remote screen
  • Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness
  • Warranty
  • Adaptor -Voltages issues
  • Performance- resetting/ hanging issues

How would you rate this product on 10?

Thank you for your time
--
helium

Hey HF, we will be doing a comparison with and without DAC(cmsajith's Beresford Caiman) on my SB Duet today evening. Will post our thoughts later today.

Heliumflight

Greetings, earthling!

1. Yes on the SB you can search through your archive, either by artist or album or genre or year etc. Im referring to my SB Classic-my Duet hasnt reached me yet.

2. I have two fo the three items on your wish list-the SB conected to my Class A 2A3 amp via a DAC( Audiosector NOS unit) and using single driver speakers. It's a very nice combination.

Cheers

George

Thank you for the detailed reply and also for providing the SB link.

Few pics that I would like to share with all HFV members as I dream to own one day.

1) SB Duet + tube amp (The SB transporter with the tubes)
Tubes and Digital - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

2) SB with single driver speakers
A photo of your Squeezebox setup (please) - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

3) A minimalist setup
Squeezebox Duet into AVI ADM9 active speakers with DAC
Video review: Squeezebox Duet into AVI ADM9 active speakers with DAC - Squeezebox : Community : Forums

Kindest regards,
--
helium

Hey HF,
Here are my thoughts on the SB Duet (in bold italic on your queries):
  • As a stand alone dac: The Wolfson internal DAC does a good job in itself.
  • Quality of internet radio channels: Pretty good
  • Bufferring issues: None so far. Infact, I found that the SB Duet continues to play even after I have turned off the Squeezecenter software on my laptop. It seems that it buffers for almost an entire 30 seconds in advance
  • Sb used with external DAC: We tested with the Beresford Caiman. The difference was not substantial enough for me to buy one. The Mids improved a little, felt the highs were a little harsh and there was no change in LF.
  • Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers?We can scroll and search the library for the artist or song.
  • Can we see the album art cover on the remote screenYes, we can
  • Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness Yes, there is a volume control
  • WarrantyNone, unless you buy from India
  • Adaptor -Voltages issuesUniversal
  • Performance- resetting/ hanging issues None, so far

Overall a great product. I would rate the product 9/10. Go for it buddy!!

Heliumflight

Greetings, earthling!

1. Yes on the SB you can search through your archive, either by artist or album or genre or year etc. Im referring to my SB Classic-my Duet hasnt reached me yet.

2. I have two fo the three items on your wish list-the SB conected to my Class A 2A3 amp via a DAC( Audiosector NOS unit) and using single driver speakers. It's a very nice combination.

Cheers

George

Oh! George O oh how I envy you!

Can you list the chain of equipment with the 2A3 amp + single driver speakers? I'm just waiting for another fabulous offer on the duet's.

Kindest regards,
--
helium

Hey HF,
Here are my thoughts on the SB Duet (in bold italic on your queries):
  • As a stand alone dac: The Wolfson internal DAC does a good job in itself.
  • Quality of internet radio channels: Pretty good
  • Bufferring issues: None so far. Infact, I found that the SB Duet continues to play even after I have turned off the Squeezecenter software on my laptop. It seems that it buffers for almost an entire 30 seconds in advance
  • Sb used with external DAC: We tested with the Beresford Caiman. The difference was not substantial enough for me to buy one. The Mids improved a little, felt the highs were a little harsh and there was no change in LF.
  • Can we type, search by the name of the artist ex: peter white (smooth jazz)/ (Classic Rock) Allman brothers?We can scroll and search the library for the artist or song.
  • Can we see the album art cover on the remote screenYes, we can
  • Is there a volume control on remote and does it increase the gain/loudness Yes, there is a volume control
  • WarrantyNone, unless you buy from India
  • Adaptor -Voltages issuesUniversal
  • Performance- resetting/ hanging issues None, so far

Overall a great product. I would rate the product 9/10. Go for it buddy!!

Agreed!. It sounds pretty good and you should not spend on another DAC Like Beresford if you get SB. :)

If you have a cheap 3 to 4k DVDP then a Beresford can help upgrade your setup. those already having a 16 to 20K CDP or SB should consider a DAC or another CDP in the 50K+ price range (assuming it provides true value comparable to its price)

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back